Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

fake or real ws6..

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fake or real ws6..

i'm in the market of getting a WS6 and I found one that I really like, but
What are some ways to tell if its a real WS6?

I have a few a pictures of the car

Old 12-26-2014, 11:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Check the SPID sticker on the driver's door jamb for RPO "WS6". Then make sure the VIN on the top of that sticker matches the VIN plate on the dash.

If the SPID sticker is no longer present or isn't readable, you can take the VIN number to any GM dealer and the parts department can run a VIS report which will show the RPOs for that VIN. Then just look for "WS6".

This is the only 100% sure way to tell (and also the only verification that is needed) since all other WS6 parts can easily be added to any Formula/TA.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:28 PM

carfax wouldn't show me?
Old 12-26-2014, 11:55 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Post the VIN here and one of us will be able to tell you.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The real question is " Does it matter "?

It has the 17'' wheels for the wider tires, it has the Ram Air hood, it has a lid and clearly at least a muffler. WS6 or not, its just as fast.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:11 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Yes, it matters when selling or purchasing.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by paul bell
post the vin here and one of us will be able to tell you.
2G2FV22G922106194
Old 12-27-2014, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thats a good start... look at the door code on the drivers side and see if it has ws6. although it does have the ws6 specific raised airbox under the hood. if someone was going to fake a ws6 thats really going through the effort..
Old 12-27-2014, 12:53 PM

so i went back to look at the door and i took a picture of the door panel. Is this what y'all were talking about?

Old 12-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Yup. And it has the WS6 code.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

See on the bottom row all the way to the right 9TJ ....right above that is what your looking for WS6
Old 12-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
The real question is " Does it matter "?
It does if you want to learn the secret handshake...
Old 12-28-2014, 11:37 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Now as long as the VIN on the RPO decal matches the VIN in the dash, you're looking at a legit WS6. So many are sold as such when in reality they are not.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CO_BlackHawk
It does if you want to learn the secret handshake...
LOL.

My whole point is than an LS F-Body is an LS F-Body. Unless its a Firehawk, CETA or Anniversary, I wouldn't even bother looking specifically for a WS6 as its really just a hood, wheels and a catback. The only real decision IMO is what color you want and 4L60E/T56. For selling/purchasing, I guess it makes a difference to those who care more about matching numbers type of stuff.

And who keeps stock wheels and exhaust on these cars anyway?!
Old 12-28-2014, 02:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
LOL.

My whole point is than an LS F-Body is an LS F-Body. Unless its a Firehawk, CETA or Anniversary, I wouldn't even bother looking specifically for a WS6 as its really just a hood, wheels and a catback. The only real decision IMO is what color you want and 4L60E/T56. For selling/purchasing, I guess it makes a difference to those who care more about matching numbers type of stuff.

And who keeps stock wheels and exhaust on these cars anyway?!
Personally I agree, at this point all I really care about are options such as color/interior/trans type and overall condition, trim level isn't a priority to me. The same is also true for the Firehawk/CETA/Anniversary cars; they are the same as any other LS1 F-body sans for muffler/catback differences and in some cases an air lid. Of course there are potential suspension differences (speaking of Firehawk) depending on SLP options, but otherwise the drivetrain is exactly the same as any Z28 or Formula, etc.

What people are paying for with the higher trim levels is basically cosmetics no matter which model you're buying. The precedent is set by the higher original MSRP of these cosmetic trim levels, and so this carries into the used market as well. Many of the OE cosmetic upgrades are better quality than the aftermarket items (such as hoods), so you're also paying a premium for that when you buy an original version. If it's cloned with OE parts, then really it's just as good as OE but still the market generally "agrees" to assign more value to the one that was completed on the assembly line prior to purchase. For this reason, I understand why people want to verify originality of a higher trim level prior to paying more than they otherwise would. Unfortunately, there are also some who are ignorant and believe that the higher trim levels actually come with engine upgrades (due to horsepower rating differences, etc.) and therefore are paying more for the wrong reasons - but that's their own fault for not doing the research.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 12-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:02 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I also agree with all that HOWEVER there are some people that want an all original car with options such as the WS6 package. These cars in good condition command and retain a higher resale value.

It's OK to "fake" an option so long as when it's time to sell, it's not advertised as original and it's revealed to the potential buyer.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:44 AM
TECH Regular

Absolutely true Paul.

Unfortunately a lot of folks think that the WS6 is faster than a Z28, Formula, Trans Am, etc for whatever reason. I've had to explain it more times than I can count to people who actually know about cars. I just don't want to see someone paying premium prices on an F-Body and expecting it to be faster than the lesser trims.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:09 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

"It costs more so it's gotta be faster!"
Old 12-29-2014, 04:02 AM
TECH Regular

Its gotta be the hood man. People see that hood and its done.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Personally I agree, at this point all I really care about are options such as color/interior/trans type and overall condition, trim level isn't a priority to me. The same is also true for the Firehawk/CETA/Anniversary cars; they are the same as any other LS1 F-body sans for muffler/catback differences and in some cases an air lid. Of course there are potential suspension differences (speaking of Firehawk) depending on SLP options, but otherwise the drivetrain is exactly the same as any Z28 or Formula, etc.

What people are paying for with the higher trim levels is basically cosmetics no matter which model you're buying. The precedent is set by the higher original MSRP of these cosmetic trim levels, and so this carries into the used market as well. Many of the OE cosmetic upgrades are better quality than the aftermarket items (such as hoods), so you're also paying a premium for that when you buy an original version. If it's cloned with OE parts, then really it's just as good as OE but still the market generally "agrees" to assign more value to the one that was completed on the assembly line prior to purchase. For this reason, I understand why people want to verify originality of a higher trim level prior to paying more than they otherwise would. Unfortunately, there are also some who are ignorant and believe that the higher trim levels actually come with engine upgrades (due to horsepower rating differences, etc.) and therefore are paying more for the wrong reasons - but that's their own fault for not doing the research.
Agreed with this^^^^

If that's true than the same should be true about a firehawk as it is a ws6>>>> same differences (hood,wheels,suspension,and decals)

a firehawk, ceta,etc is no more special than a ws6 when looking from this view. .. however I still look for a ws6, hawk,ceta when shopping because of this misconception most people take better care of the ws6/hawk thinking it's worth a whole lot more. .. which if mint WILL fetch more

Quick Reply: fake or real ws6..