Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

01-02 Stock catback

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 01-02 Stock catback

Does anyone have a 01-02 WS6 stock uncut catback or I-pipe cut carefully catback. I think the 01-02 had the single chrome tip tail pipe on each side. I know this isn't quite right section but if anyone has one they would probably be in here.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:27 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like you're restoring a car?

I think to get the exact original tails & muffler, you'll need to make a friend at a GM parts counter. The muffler with tails & I pipe is part number 10436321. Looks to be still available-hold on to your hat-it's over 900 bucks.

"LS1 - ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 5.7L, SFI, ALUMINUM ENGINE; M30 - TRANSMISSION,AUTOMATIC 4 SPEED,4L60E,ELECTRONIC; M49 - TRANSMISSION MAN 5 SPD, BORG WARNER, 77MM, 3.75 1ST, .76 5TH, O/D; MM6 - TRANSMISSION MAN 6 SPD, BORG WARNER, 85MM, 1ST 2.66, 6TH 0.50, O/D; NM2 - EMISSION SYSTEM EXPORT, LEADED FUEL; VP6 - NOISE LEVEL CONTROL; WS6 - PERFORMANCE PACKAGE,SPECIAL(MERCHANDISING OPTION); WU8 - SALES PACKAGE CAMARO SS APPEARANCE AND PERFORMANCE;
(LS1/5.7G)"
Old 01-20-2015, 11:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

There is no difference at all in the catback or muffler/tailpipes/tips between '99-'02 WS6 models. The '98 WS6s did mostly come with a single outlet on the driver's side, though I believe some of the later '98s started receiving the updated dual tail pipe catback even before '99 MY production began.

So you can widen your search to '99-'02, because they are all the same in that range.

Probably best to post this in the "Parts Wanted" section as well.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:31 AM
TECH Veteran

WS6's and SS' are specifically listed in gm's literature "sales brochure" as having a specific low restriction exhaust any idea if this is fact when compared non ram air or ss car. More so my curiosity now.

Kinda my car has a Borla adjustable on it and depending on how rowdy the exhaust is once complete I may put a stock catback on it to shut her up. If I do go stock catback route I really want the correct one on the car since I'm a nitpick about stuff like that. In the past I've had really good luck with a stock catback and a cammed 6.0,6.2 with LT's and ORY that makes a really nice sounding easy on the ears and tolerable to drive combo. Cars still in paint jail so thinking out loud for now.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
WS6's and SS' are specifically listed in gm's literature "sales brochure" as having a specific low restriction exhaust any idea if this is fact when compared non ram air or ss car. More so my curiosity now.
I have original catbacks from both a Z28 and a '99-'02 WS6 to compare. The WS6/SS setup has a slightly smaller muffler (shorter case size) and 2.75" tail pipes (vs. 2.25" tail pipes for the Z28/Formula/TA muffler). The I-pipe is the same diameter. Tips are obviously different depending on model.

So the "low restriction exhaust" is likely referring to the smaller muffler and 0.50" larger tail pipes. The real world difference is marginal and doesn't seem to result in any measurable performance improvement for the WS6/SS cars since they don't dyno higher nor run faster ETs on average. But for a highly modified engine, there might be some actual gain in using the marginally higher flow muffler/tailpipes.

The single outlet '98 SS/WS6 muffler is said to be the best flowing catback that GM ever used for these cars, outside of the SLP dual/dual setup available via a Y2Y option on SS and standard on Firehawk (but never available on WS6). But most people don't care for the single outlet tailpipe on a Trans Am style bumper with the dual provisions for tips.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-26-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Corrected sizing information.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The '98 WS6s did mostly come with a single outlet on the driver's side, though I believe some of the later '98s started receiving the updated dual tail pipe catback even before '99 MY production began.
Mine was converted by ASC on the 2nd to last day they did '98s and it has the SOTL. So I kinda doubt that any '98 WS6s got the '99+ dual outlet exhaust (this would be the first I've heard of this speculation). GM was not legally compelled to comply w/ the new noise regulations (that prompted the switch to the dual '99+ setup) until the '99 MY. Considering that when GM orders assemblies from suppliers for a production run, they order quite a few "spares" for repairs / replacements, I seriously doubt that the production line ran short on SOTLs and started pulling from the '99 parts bin to finish the run of '98s. Also, there was a strike the delayed the completion and delivery of the last of the '98s, so it was likely that they had more spare SOTLs left over than they had planned for.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Mine was converted by ASC on the 2nd to last day they did '98s and it has the SOTL. So I kinda doubt that any '98 WS6s got the '99+ dual outlet exhaust (this would be the first I've heard of this speculation).
You might be correct, it may never have happened. It's just speculation on my part based on something I remember reading well over a decade ago, at a time when these cars were not very old and first hand stories of production oddities were easier to come by. But I have no proof either way myself, and if yours is that late of a production date then it stands to reason that the other story was probably false/mistaken. It's possible that someone may have been confusing fresh '99s as leftover '98s on a dealer lot, leading to the mistaken information.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-23-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It's possible that someone may have been confusing fresh '99s as leftover '98s on a dealer lot, leading to the mistaken information.
Could be. Around here, finding ANY '98 SS or WS6 just sitting on an dealer's lot (not pre-ordered and snatched up upon delivery) was a very rare find. I saw only one WS6 and one SS on the road up through ~July of '98 (and the SS belonged to a co-worker). In July I did find ONE '98 SS 'vert on a lot, but the dealer was low-balling me on my trade. So I held out for what I really wanted (a WS6). I had been looking for one for over 6 months (visiting dealerships and monitoring ads on a nearly daily basis) when I found mine, as I refused to place an order and wait 11 months for a '99 (as I was told by one laughing Pontiac salesman). Within 30 hours of the ad being listed in the newspaper, I was driving it home on 9/4/98 (if it was local I would've snatched it on the way home from work the same day, but I had to drive down to Decatur to get it). The only reason I was able to snag mine is that the person who ordered it got tired of waiting on it and purchased a different car (between constraints on T56s and the strike at St. Therese, '98 LS1 f-bods, let alone WS6s and SSs w/ M6s, were a mere trickle from the factory). Indeed, the '99s had begun deliveries by Sept, and by the end of that month I spotted a red '99 WS6 on the local Pontiac dealer's lot.

I think if you polled the 1st owners of any '98 SS or WS6, very few of them found them just sitting on a dealer's lot. In fact, my salesman pointed out that mine was the only WS6 ('98 or '99) available "east of the Mississippi" on the day I purchased mine. He may have been blowing smoke, but my own personal experience looking for one would support his assertion. Without a doubt, initially LS1 f-bods were either in short supply or in high demand, or both. All the more aggravating is that GM blamed "poor sales" for killing off the twins after '02. I don't think I've ever seen more than a handful of LS1 f-bods on dealer's lots up through the end, sitting right next to them were rows and rows of Cavaliers and Grand Ams.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 01-26-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
I think if you polled the 1st owners of any '98 SS or WS6, very few of them found them just sitting on a dealer's lot. In fact, my salesman pointed out that mine was the only WS6 ('98 or '99) available "east of the Mississippi" on the day I purchased mine. He may have been blowing smoke, but my own personal experience looking for one would support his assertion. Without a doubt, initially LS1 f-bods were either in short supply or in high demand, or both. All the more aggravating is that GM blamed "poor sales" for killing off the twins after '02. I don't think I've ever seen more than a handful of LS1 f-bods on dealer's lots up through the end, sitting right next to them were rows and rows of Cavaliers and Grand Ams.
The LS1 cars definitely seemed hard to come by in the first model year for sure. One of the Pontiac dealers in my area used to somehow have some pretty rare models available when other dealers did not, it was Loren Pontiac in Glenview, IL. This is where I saw my first LS1 WS6 model outside of the auto show in Feb. '98. It was black but I can't remember the exact month I saw it there (they had a white base model T/A at the same time). That same dealer also had a red '97 Firehawk sitting on their lot seemingly forever, which was really a rare sight to see just sitting back in those days. They used to have a summer Pontiac/car show every August, and I remember a super rare '97 LT4 Firehawk in green that used to show up, and I think its owner had ordered it through that dealer when new. For '99 this same dealer had the first '99 WS6 that I can recall seeing on a dealer lot as well, that one was silver and this must've been in October of '98.

When I bought my own WS6 on July 11, 2000, there were quite a few of them lined up at O'Hare Pontiac (formerly Ridge Pontiac) in Des Plaines, IL. Mine was red, and there was also white, pewter and black available....and that was just WS6s (there were a few base Trans Ams and a Formula in stock that day as well).

On the Chevrolet side of things, I only recall a couple V8 Camaros available in late July of '99 when I bought my '99 Z28 at Jennings Chevrolet also in Glenview, IL, and none were SSs. Several months later that same dealer had a black SS in their showroom, but only a handful of V6s and Z28s otherwise. That black SS was nicely optioned with the SLP dual/dual catback, something I never noticed on any model that was ordered for regular dealer lot inventory, so perhaps someone ordered the car but the deal fell through.

There was a time when the F-bodies sold well into the 6-digit numbers, but by the late 4th gen years I think the combined annual totals were usually around ~75k units for both makes and all models combined. I guess this wasn't enough to justify any redesign or updates to keep the platform in production past 2002.

On a personal note, I wish I could still buy brand new 4th gen F-bodies today - and I would. If the only thing they had changed on the 4th gen was to replace the LS1 for an LS3 in current models, I would be 100% happy.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:44 PM
TECH Veteran

You are correct I remember the 98's and 99's we had a hard time getting our hands on them at first you could order them all day long but the orders got kicked out and or rejected due to the limited numbers in the supply chain and or parts restraints for specific combinations.

Really I didn't start seeing significant numbers of SS' and WS6' until 2000 model year. Really the 96 and newer SS were kinda rare to see you saw one here and one there but they were few and far between you felt like you had a really special car having a SS or WS6. 2000 Is when to me it seems like they really started cranking out SS and WS6's in pretty big numbers and you started seeing on road a lot more often.

When I was in high school my senior year I ordered a hugger orange 96 SS with a stick and I got all the looks everyone revered the SS badging it was kinda cool like 1969 all over again.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow bad timing. I pulled the stock exhaust off of my low miles ARZ LS1 last October. Had it on Ebay for a couple months for $60 but got sick everyone wanted me to ship it to them for nothing. Literally took to the scrap man last Saturday. Sorry dude
Old 02-22-2015, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have my 02 ram air gm cat back uncut, that I'm looking at selling since I upgraded to mufflex. Let me know if anyone's interested

Quick Reply: 01-02 Stock catback