Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Total noob question, firebird, formula, trans am

Old 01-22-2015, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total noob question, firebird, formula, trans am

What's the difference!? I have done some searches and what I'm really after is the difference in looks. See, my car "looks" like a Trans Am but on the title it says, "Firebird Formula". I realize I have the WS6 hood and I have heard of some people swapping the Formula front bumper for a Trans Am one because it flows air better. But it seems like a lot of trouble adding the Trans Am wing so it leaves me a bit confused. I "think I know what a Formula looks like vs. a Trans Am but I'm not sure.

So this is a Trans Am-

And this is a Firebird-

Correct? And what then does the "Formula" package add?
Old 01-22-2015, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

firebird from 98-02 was a v6
formula is a v8
trans am is a v8

ws6 , aka the ram air hood was option on a formula and trans am . On the they all say firebird formula , if its a formula or ta .

the formula looks like a v6 firebird , but isnt as flashy .
Old 01-22-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
firebird from 98-02 was a v6
formula is a v8
trans am is a v8

ws6 , aka the ram air hood was option on a formula and trans am . On the they all say firebird formula , if its a formula or ta .

the formula looks like a v6 firebird , but isnt as flashy .
Ok, on the title even if it's a Trans Am it'll still say "Firebird Formula". Strange. And there can be a WS6 Formula AND Trans Am, didn't know that. Are my pictures correct? So I do have a Trans Am then...
Old 01-22-2015, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess the biggest thing that threw me off about my car is the title saying "Formula".
Old 01-22-2015, 12:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

The title always says "Formula" for a V8 Pontiac F-body of this era since the VIN only indicates either a V6 Firebird or a V8 Formula - if it's a Trans Am trim level, then this is indicated via the SPID sticker (RPOs) but not within the VIN itself.

Yes, you have a Trans Am if your car looks like the first picture you posted above. An actual "Formula", as mentioned above, is cosmetically identical to a V6 Firebird (other than badging) but has the V8. This is a lighter weight car than the Trans Am and is for Pontiac buyers who wanted the V8 power but without the excessively flashy looks or standard features of the Trans Am. For example, starting in 1998 t-tops and leather were standard on Trans Am, but both were still optional on a Formula.

WS6 package, like the Firehawk package, could be had on either a Trans Am or Formula. Only catch here is that WS6 Formulas were only available through the 2000 model year, so there are NO original '01/'02 WS6 Formulas. They were very low production (I seem to recall 232 units for 2000, 175 units for 1999, and I can't remember how many for 1998).
Old 01-22-2015, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The title always says "Formula" for a V8 Pontiac F-body of this era since the VIN only indicates either a V6 Firebird or a V8 Formula - if it's a Trans Am trim level, then this is indicated via the SPID sticker (RPOs) but not within the VIN itself.

Yes, you have a Trans Am if your car looks like the first picture you posted above. An actual "Formula", as mentioned above, is cosmetically identical to a V6 Firebird (other than badging) but has the V8. This is a lighter weight car than the Trans Am and is for Pontiac buyers who wanted the V8 power but without the excessively flashy looks or standard features of the Trans Am. For example, starting in 1998 t-tops and leather were standard on Trans Am, but both were still optional on a Formula.

WS6 package, like the Firehawk package, could be had on either a Trans Am or Formula. Only catch here is that WS6 Formulas were only available through the 2000 model year, so there are NO original '01/'02 WS6 Formulas. They were very low production (I seem to recall 232 units for 2000, 175 units for 1999, and I can't remember how many for 1998).

Very good info, thanks. After I looked at my title I thought somebody went to a lot of trouble to make my "Formula" look like a T/A hahah. Now I know what the real deal is.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

The reason the title does not distinguish between a Formula and a T/A is that they both have the same engine (V8).

The insurance companies want to know what's under the hood so they know how much premium to charge to offset the higher likelihood of having to un-wrap your car from a telephone pole if you have a V8.

The state wants to know how much tax to charge you to pay for highway maintenance for cleaning all the rubber off the roads.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Launching!

The RPO codes in your glovebox will tell you absolutely everything about the car (at least when it was stock) Formula will have a W66 and Trans Am will also have Y83. It will also tell you your axle ratio, and all the options your car was ordered with.

http://www.compnine.com is a great resource that will give you a build sheet code by code and what each is (just need your VIN)

I have a few more lookups available on my comp nine account if anyone wants one
Old 01-22-2015, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jaxem
The RPO codes in your glovebox will tell you absolutely everything about the car (at least when it was stock) Formula will have a W66 and Trans Am will also have Y83. It will also tell you your axle ratio, and all the options your car was ordered with.

http://www.compnine.com is a great resource that will give you a build sheet code by code and what each is (just need your VIN)

Cool thanks. I'll have a look. Ya, nothing is stock anymore
Old 01-22-2015, 04:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

The RPO codes in your glovebox will tell you absolutely everything about the car
There are absolutely no RPO codes in the glove box of any LS1 F-body. The SPID sticker is found on the door side of the driver's door jamb.

If this sticker is not present, and compnine doesn't have your VIN information, you can go to any GM dealer and ask the parts department for a VIS printout of the RPOs and build information for a given VIN. It won't be on a sticker, but all the data will be there.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There are absolutely no RPO codes in the glove box of any LS1 F-body. The SPID sticker is found on the door side of the driver's door jamb.

If this sticker is not present, and compnine doesn't have your VIN information, you can go to any GM dealer and ask the parts department for a VIS printout of the RPOs and build information for a given VIN. It won't be on a sticker, but all the data will be there.
Huh, did not know this, they're in the glove box on the LT1 F-body's....guess you learn something new every day
Old 01-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Teching In

I just pulled mine for five bucks. Is this supposed to be all the options for this car's VIN. Everything seemed right except that it shows RPO U75 Antenna, POWER(Chrome) PWR ANT. Which mine is a single fixed mast, does this perhaps mean that there is power as in amplication going to the antenna?

Also FE2 is upgraded suspension? Shows just a 3rd of cars had that option.

Finally the REAR 2.73 only 406. That is a tall gear but seems idea for my driving and given the torque of the LS1 it gets off the line plenty quick.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TennesseeTA
I just pulled mine for five bucks. Is this supposed to be all the options for this car's VIN. Everything seemed right except that it shows RPO U75 Antenna, POWER(Chrome) PWR ANT. Which mine is a single fixed mast, does this perhaps mean that there is power as in amplification going to the antenna?

Finally the REAR 2.73 only 406. That is a tall gear but seems idea for my driving and given the torque of the LS1 it gets off the line plenty quick.
firebird/trans ams should be power antennas, only the camaro had the fixed antenna that I'm aware of. are you the original owner? perhaps a previous owner swapped it out after the power antenna went belly up or you have a failed power antenna in the up position like mine was when I bought it.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

I just pulled mine for five bucks. Is this supposed to be all the options for this car's VIN. Everything seemed right except that it shows RPO U75 Antenna, POWER(Chrome) PWR ANT. Which mine is a single fixed mast, does this perhaps mean that there is power as in amplication going to the antenna?

Agree w/ Dan above, I'm pretty sure all Firebirds had power antennas. Yours is either stuck or swapped.

FE2 I believe was the standard suspension on the V8 cars (better than the V6's). Quite a few more V6s were sold than V8s.

For '96-'02, 2.73 (GU2) rear was standard on V8s w/ the A4. 3.23 (GU5) was the only option. All M6 (V8) cars got 3.42 (GU6). V6's w/ A4 came w/ 3.08 (GU4) standard and 3.42 (GU6) optional. All V6s w/ M5 had 3.23 (GU5). Axle choices were more limited prior to '96.

Huh, did not know this, they're in the glove box on the LT1 F-body's....guess you learn something new every day
The RPO decal was moved from the glove box to the door before the end of the LT1 production, can't remember if it was in '96 or '97.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 01-23-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
firebird/trans ams should be power antennas, only the camaro had the fixed antenna that I'm aware of. are you the original owner? perhaps a previous owner swapped it out after the power antenna went belly up or you have a failed power antenna in the up position like mine was when I bought it.
I have only owned it for a month. What you saw makes sense. I am sure it has been changed out at some point. IMHO power antenna are just a malfunction waiting to happen.

I just received my Tennessee Title model listed as FAM
Old 01-23-2015, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

I have only owned it for a month. What you saw makes sense. I am sure it has been changed out at some point. IMHO power antenna are just a malfunction waiting to happen.

I just received my Tennessee Title model listed as FAM
personally I don't listen to regular radio anymore, I have my tablet with literally several weeks (14.8 days) worth of uninterrupted music on it to choose from so In my case the antenna was stuck up and antenna motor unplugged (because all did was make the grinding sound) so I just smacked it (from the top) till it collapsed all the way down and have never looked back. FM Radio sucks and is not worth fixing it.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
personally I don't listen to regular radio anymore, I have my tablet with literally several weeks (14.8 days) worth of uninterrupted music on it to choose from so In my case the antenna was stuck up and antenna motor unplugged (because all did was make the grinding sound) so I just smacked it (from the top) till it collapsed all the way down and have never looked back. FM Radio sucks and is not worth fixing it.
Lol, damn dude that is a lot of music!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Lol, damn dude that is a lot of music!
about 28 gigabytes worth mostly in 320kbps MP3 (all the ones I've ripped from CD) but some are lower bitrates because I couldn't get them in higher rates.

it's a lot more convenient then lugging around 120+ CD's, and thats not even going into the music that doesn't exist on CD like the Hard Target (see youtube for songs, he puts most of it there) mixtapes he released for free online.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First you had the Firebird

Then there was the Firebird Formula which had the V8 and the body was identical to the V6.

Then theres the Trans Am. It had different bumper covers, an actual spoiler, leather seats, T-Tops and bigger side skirts.

The WS6 was a Ram Air hood, lifted air box, slightly stiffer suspension, 17'' wheels with 275 tires on all 4 corners, 2.75in catback ( non WS6s had 2.5 I think ) and if the car was an automatic, it only came with the 3.23 rear end. 3.23 was optional on non WS6s.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
Then theres the Trans Am. It had different bumper covers, an actual spoiler, leather seats, T-Tops and bigger side skirts.
This is only true for the LS1 cars. Just to be specific, leather and t-tops were not a standard part of the Trans Am package until 1998 as I mentioned above. And the raised spoiler was also optional on early 4th gen Trans Ams under RPO T43 I believe (also referred to at the Trans Am "GT" package).

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
The WS6 was a Ram Air hood, lifted air box, slightly stiffer suspension, 17'' wheels with 275 tires on all 4 corners, 2.75in catback ( non WS6s had 2.5 I think ) and if the car was an automatic, it only came with the 3.23 rear end. 3.23 was optional on non WS6s.
There was no difference in I-pipe size between a WS6 and non-WS6 catback. The only difference was a smaller case size muffler and 0.50" larger tail pipes for the WS6 (2.75" vs. 2.25") from '99-'02. 1998 WS6/SS used a specific muffler and single tail pipe not shared with other years or models.

RPO GU5 (3.23 rear) was in fact a required option for WS6s with RPOs MX0/M30 (auto trans). It wasn't actually standard nor part of the WS6 package, and thus was listed separately on the window sticker - but it was required content for WS6 w/ MX0.

The "stiffer" suspension was just a front sway bar upgrade to the 32mm 1LE bar with stiffer bushings (base V8s received a 30mm bar), everything else was the same as other base model V8s in terms of suspension (or at least that was the case with the '00 WS6 that I bought brand new). I've read reports over the years that earlier LS1 WS6s ('98-'99) *may* have come with 1LE springs, but I don't have any personal confirmation of that. Most of the improved handling of a stock WS6 over the base models came from the 17x9" wheels and 275/40 tires.

The power steering cooler (RPO V12) was also a standard part of the WS6 (and WU8 [SS], and WU6 [Firehawk]) package starting with the first LS1s, though not standard for base V8 trim levels until later years.

Formula will have a W66 and Trans Am will also have Y83.
Y83 was previously an RPO for the Trans Am package, but not so in the later years of 4th gen. My 2000 Trans Am had RPO Y82 (as well as WS9 and WS6), but Y83 was not present. And I'm 100% sure it was an original Trans Am since I was the first owner.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-23-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Total noob question, firebird, formula, trans am