Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

what transmission would fit

Old 01-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what transmission would fit

I have an 99 trans am and the stock 4l60e went out. Which 2 wheel drive truck 4l60e will fit. From what I read all I have to do is switch the bell housing,shift linkage and output shaft over to the new one? Thank you for the help!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:59 PM

Default 98 to 03

Need help will a 4l60e from a 98 be a direct fit into a 03 if not what do I need in order to fit it???
Old 11-10-2016, 08:04 PM

will a 4l60e from a 2002 Chevy truck 5.3l 2wd go directly into a 2002 Chevy z71 Tahoe? My Tahoe also has a 4l60e and a 5.3l
Old 10-03-2017, 10:46 PM

Default Please help

I've looked all over google, found similar problems that I am having, however I yet to have a solution. This topic, this thread seems to be what can help me the most.

I have a 99 Tahoe with a 4l60e transmission that went bad. So my friend says he has a 98 suburban that he is about to part out, he swears the transmission will work in mine. So I decide to try it.

OK so my transmission has the whole bell housing and his only has half of the bell housing. This visually is the only difference. Which might be the big difference, IDK but they both bolt up the same. Did I mention they're both 4wd? The difference in the transfer case, mines in the floor, his is push button. We had to swap the sun shellcto put my transfer case back in.

OK so now I have his transmission bolted to my motor, and transfer case. All the plugs are the same. Ready to crank it up and try it... And here's where the moment of truth is.

It cranks fine, it idles fine. But when you put it in any gear the torque converter locks up. Now I know a jam up mechanic, that says go to your main plug and compare his and mine. He said there's going to be a difference in one wire, he says it's likely one pin off and causing this tcc issue. I have no idea, but from what I goggled it's a tcc solenoid problem. Can anyone please help me figure this out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what transmission would fit