Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Old 10-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THe only SURE fired solution !!!!!!! These light kits can be bought on eBay ..around $1000

Old 10-26-2007, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

i like thes headlight conversion very much, but these lights are nit allowed here in germany.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know a guy over in Europe that only uses his fog lights for driving. He installed brighter units. He just didn't like the way the stock lights looked when open. It's such a rare car over there the local constables don't know the difference.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

A co-worker of mine just bought a 2000 IIRC Firebird, and when he turns the headlights off, the driver' s side motor keeps running trying to pull the light down, but with slight pressure appliedmy hand on the cover, the motor stops. Am I correct in assuming the cause to be a stripped plastic gear as mentioned by the OP?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Darth Z
Am I correct in assuming the cause to be a stripped plastic gear as mentioned by the OP?
Yes..
Old 10-28-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasonWW
It may be the brain that controls them. It's a flat sided board snapped onto the side of the fuse boxes under the hood. If you can find a friend with a similar firebird you can swap his module into your car temporarily to see if that is the problem or not. Whole swap would take 1 minute or so.
Any more info on this brain that controls them? I looked over and don't see what you're talking about... any diagram, photos, or info...also because I don't know anyone around here with a car similar to mine. I'm kinda in the middle of nowhere.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spiers
Any more info on this brain that controls them? I looked over and don't see what you're talking about... any diagram, photos, or info...also because I don't know anyone around here with a car similar to mine. I'm kinda in the middle of nowhere.
Not much is known about it, but this is it. It just clips onto the side of the fuse box tray.

Name:  headlightbrainbox.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  123.3 KB
Old 10-28-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay my car's a little different, would this here be it?
Attached Thumbnails Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE-picture.jpg  
Old 10-28-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spiers
Okay my car's a little different, would this here be it?
yep..
Old 10-28-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes..
Thanks dude, I told him to look into changing the gear out.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Default 02 WS6 Broken Driver Side headlight

My problem is only with my driver side head light. When I turn on my lights the passenger side works fine but my driver side comes half way up and sits on top of my hood and scratches it. In order to get it up successfully I have to pop my hood then put it up then close my hood. The high and low beams both work fine.

Now when I go to close my lights, again the passenger one goes down fine no problem but my driver side moves very slightly but doesn't close. To close it now I have to lift up on it and straighted out the arm barely then while I'm holding it someone else has to put it down, now when it goes down this way It make a horrible noise and my motor keeps turning, then stops after about 5 seconds. If I put the light down the way I just described when I go to lock my car both lights come up and back down then the driver side makes the noise again, and it also does it when I Unlock the car.

If I put the light down manually no problems when I lock or unlock it. It just won't come up without sitting on top of my hood or putting my hood back up. When my lights are closed my driver side sits a little higher than my passenger side and isn't flush with my hood or front left fender.

I didn't hit anything or do anything just came home one night from washing my car and this was my problem. I'll have some pictures up soon and possibly a video. This has been a real pain and annoyance.Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:34 AM
Teching In

It could be a few things. A link could be broken or a nut might be loose. I would say a bad motor if it was not hitting the hood.

Try to move it around and look for anything that might be amiss.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Default headlight question.....Yes I read the FAQ :)

Hey guys,

I finally got the used headlight assembly in today. YAY!!! Both the headlights work fine. The only problem is the passenger side...the used one I just purchased is louder than the drivers side. At the end of the upward stroke and at the beginning of the downward stroke there seems to be a thud/pop sound. I looked at both the left and right and the only thing I can find different is the fact that the motor on the one making the noise has a little bit of horizontal play. The one on the drivers side has VERY little. BOTH motors are brand new. It almost seems like it goes just a tad to far. I can crank it down by hand and you can feel a thud about two turns on the way back down. Anyone have have ANY clue? I could really use the insight....tired of messin with these things.

Thanks in advance.

Bob s.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:46 AM
Teching In

I Tried the 180* Temp fix and it worked but in reverse. My light would go up and down but it went up when is should go down and down when it should go up. It turned on when it should as well.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bad Boy 02 WS6
I Tried the 180* Temp fix and it worked but in reverse. My light would go up and down but it went up when is should go down and down when it should go up. It turned on when it should as well.
Just flip the light switch a few times so it can synch back up.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Ok I Fixed the light now. It goes up when it should and down when it should. Now my problem is when I put my lights down I hear a Jackhammer/Grinder noise on my left/Driver side headlight. Also when I lock or unlock my car the lights both go up then back down and the driver side head light does the jackhammer noise for about 5 seconds.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Also one of my fuse box panels is faded on the top row and I can't read what fuses to put in there. Can some one tell me where to find a picture or something to tell me where to put what fuses?

Last edited by Bad Boy 02 WS6; 11-10-2007 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bad Boy 02 WS6
Ok I Fixed the light now. It goes up when it should and down when it should. Now my problem is when I put my lights down I hear a Jackhammer/Grinder noise on my left/Driver side headlight. Also when I lock or unlock my car the lights both go up then back down and the driver side head light does the jackhammer noise for about 5 seconds.
That noise is the gear stripping. That's what this whole thread is about.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kyle C
Used motor oil, worked fine.
Has anyone notice the headlight not coming up to the same level? There is 3/8 difference in mine so I did some disassembly but couldn't find any way to adjust the stop or linkage for the up position.
There is a way to adjust the level on the motor at the top beside the head light there is an alen (I forget the size- you might need to remove the cover) fittiing to raise the light manuly. It can sometimes work to rasie the light after the lights are up.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Teching In

That noise is the gear stripping. That's what this whole thread is about.
lol, some people, sheesh

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE