Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That gear will cause all kinds of weird things to happen I'm afraid This thread is a must, once I actually read through the sticky. Sometimes it seems to easy to ask than it is to look. But most questions regarding headlights can in fact be found on here easily.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If most people would at least read the very first post and maybe browse the thread most of the questions are answered here. I just don't get making a post asking why does my light(s) makes a noise or pop up when I use the fob .......read!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Headlight Issue

Right headlight motor spins, but headlight doesnt go up or down. When locking doors headlight on d/s goes up and down.

Turning parking lights on makes the headlight on d/s come up all the time. So I unpluged headlight door fuses. Whats going on?

Car is 1998 TA
Old 08-15-2009, 06:24 AM
TECH Regular

Soooo it happened again and here is how it all happened.

Went to leave to head to Atlanta from Sumter, SC. I turned the A/C on and the interior lights started to flicker on and off. Stopped for a minute, and checked around and didn't seem like anything was wrong. Kept driving and got just got into GA when I noticed my driver side headlight was up (pulled the fuse for the passenger headlight since the motor gear is stripped). Soon as I got into Atlanta it started going up and down over and over again when I got under the overhang at the hotel down there. Talk about embarassing

Any ideas guys?? It appears this happened once again after a very heavy rain, but its gone through rain before and this hasn't happened...

Also, anyone have experience with dealerships with an issue like this? They fixed the module not even 90 days ago and its already doing it again.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

the headlight goes up/down constantly? Make sure the stopper for that light is still there.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
the headlight goes up/down constantly? Make sure the stopper for that light is still there.
just checked and the stopper is still there no issues. they are perm. up now as soon as I start the car. Only difference this time from before I changed out the module is that the interior lights are now on all the times as well...
Old 08-17-2009, 04:27 AM
Teching In

you change the motor`s gear use Copper. It will be ok. I do it myself to use small machine tool
Old 08-17-2009, 05:38 AM
TECH Regular

See the sticky at the top of the page labeled headlight issues. You will find all you need in there to remedy your situation.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Words can't describe...

... how much I F***ing love this site. I am soooooo glad to be back.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Teching In

the drivers side parking light/ driving light went out today and i cant figure out how to replace it because of the lack of space to reach it efficiently.. any ideas????
Old 08-22-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you talking abou tthe parking light on the fender or the DRL/parking light in the front?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LivFastLs1
the drivers side parking light/ driving light went out today and i cant figure out how to replace it because of the lack of space to reach it efficiently.. any ideas????
Just reach into the hole right below it. Then turn the bulb base about 45* and it will lower down. Swap the bulb and reinstall.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
Are you talking abou tthe parking light on the fender or the DRL/parking light in the front?
the day time running light right below the headlight on the front.. same one as the turn signal too
Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LivFastLs1
the day time running light right below the headlight on the front.. same one as the turn signal too
If your hand doesn't fit thru the opening underneath, there are access panel's that open up directly in front of the tires.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
If your hand doesn't fit thru the opening underneath, there are access panel's that open up directly in front of the tires.
+1

Extremely easy to access from this point.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

March 2009: Swapped headlight motor gear for brass gear.
August 2009: 8,000 miles later, grinding is back & headlights are opening/closing upon Lock/Unlock

Old 08-24-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
August 2009: 8,000 miles later, grinding is back & headlights are opening/closing upon Lock/Unlock

Is it the same side you replaced or did you relace both of them? If you only replaced one side are you sure it's not the other ide doing it now?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
Is it the same side you replaced or did you relace both of them? If you only replaced one side are you sure it's not the other ide doing it now?
I only replaced the driver's side, not the passenger side. The driver's side is the one that is grinding, again.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting. I replaced on my driver's side when it was grinding. That was this past winter. Haven't had a problem with it since. *crosses fingers*
Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

i didnt really have time to look thru all the pages, just skimmed a bit. but heres my problem...

couple of weeks ago, im on my way to work in the morning (10am-ish) stop at the gas station then head to work. i hadnt used the headlights at all and before this it had probably been a week since id driven at night. so im pulling into work and next thing i know there's smoke pouring out from under the hood. im freaking out naturally because im thinking something with the motor. then i hear grinding and stuff. i pop the hood and its the passenger side motor. here's the thing though, the adjuster **** had melted off because the motor got so hot that the worm gear post melted it away!

so i unplug it obviously to stop it. its hot as hell, me being a bit of an idiot in the mornings wasnt thinking and touched it and it burned the hell out of me. now not only am i down a passenger light, but the drivers side one wont work either. everything on the drivers side one works fine, but it seems like the motor isnt getting any power or something.

fast forward to today, i finally had time to replace it. i get the new one in and im thinking things are going well. i plug it back in and it automatically pops up, drivers side doesnt though. so i mess with the light switch in the car and now the passenger side one wont go back down, driver side isnt moving. few minutes later out of no where the passenger side goes down. im sitting there trying to figure out what the hell is going on and ill be damned if the passenger side one doesnt start smoking again! i immediately pulled the plug on it and its getting pretty hot again, just not as bad this time because i caught it in time ( i think)

ive checked the wiring to it as far as i can until it goes into whatever other harness is in the fenderwell with it, everything looks good. stoppers are fine also. everything is installed right and tight like it was before, i even messed with the arm and the shaft that moves the arm to see if maybe it was just 180 degrees off but its not either.

what in the hell is going on with this thing? i cant seem to find help anywhere else so im hoping that you guys can help me here. if there's anything else you need to know let me know and ill fill in any gaps i might have left. i really need to get this fixed before this weekend for the Trans Am nationals or im not going to go

edit: also know that there is no grinding at all.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE