Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
odd. i've never heard of that happening with the free fix before. i've heard of them grinding when the headlights go up after the free fix but never having the lights go down when the switch is turned to the on position and vice versa.
Yeah me too. Very odd. It's as if the module has a stubborn mind of it's own. I'm almost at the point where I'm considering illogical solutions like reversing the headlight switch (so on is off and off is on)- don't even know if that's possible really. Is there a relay between the headlight switch and the headlight motor module that I can mess with?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Teching In

You can remove the nut off the motor and remove the rod that pushes the head light up and manually turn it 180 degrees and put it back together i had the same issue when i put new gears in mine if not its most likely the module
Old 12-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oneslwtransam
You can remove the nut off the motor and remove the rod that pushes the head light up and manually turn it 180 degrees and put it back together i had the same issue when i put new gears in mine if not its most likely the module
That's exactly what I did. Solved the ratcheting problem easily but now the headlights are out of sync.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How were the teeth on the other half of the gear? Are you sure you flipped it exactly at the 180 degree point? I've heard that if you don't rotate it enough, or too much, it can cause similar issues to what you're having.
If you manually lower them, and then flip the switch a couple of times in the car they are supposed to get back into sync with each other.
This is strange...
Old 12-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
How were the teeth on the other half of the gear? Are you sure you flipped it exactly at the 180 degree point? I've heard that if you don't rotate it enough, or too much, it can cause similar issues to what you're having.
If you manually lower them, and then flip the switch a couple of times in the car they are supposed to get back into sync with each other.
This is strange...
Did it three times just to be sure. Very strange indeed. Is there something about the alarm system that can wig out the control module? My lights used to pop up and then go back down when I activated and deactivated the alarm system. Now they don't do that but they are out of sync with the lights instead.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

We talking about the factory alarm?
They popped up and down because the gears were stripped.
Now... it could be the other side was too stripped out. Consider buying the brass gear replacements. Should fix your problems.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Launching!

We talking about the factory alarm?
They popped up and down because the gears were stripped.
Now... it could be the other side was too stripped out. Consider buying the brass gear replacements. Should fix your problems.
The other side is as quiet and smooth as can be. Can't believe it is stripped. The headlights go up and down in unison and are smooth and quiet. problem is the lights are on when they go down and off when they go up.

Seriously, I'm the only one who has ever experienced this? Damn the luck.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't just pull the arm and rotate it 180. It will cause the problem you descirbe. You need to pull the gears apart and flip the gear itself over.

check this forum thread out

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=98889
Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
You can't just pull the arm and rotate it 180. It will cause the problem you descirbe. You need to pull the gears apart and flip the gear itself over.

I read the entire thread as well as the instructions on how to do the "free fix". They say that all you have to do is turn the wheel 180 deg (you don't have to open the housing and flip the gear itself) and then manually lower the light. that's what I did. I don't see where it says that process will cause the lights to do what mine are doing. If I missed it please point me to the specific part that I am overlooking.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cambirdracing

Maybe on an LS1 car, but on an LT1 car, you simply remove the arm, rotate the **** 180 degrees and slap it back on. my passenger headlight is like this currently and has been for 3 or 4 years with no problem.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by danbrazda
I read the entire thread as well as the instructions on how to do the "free fix". They say that all you have to do is turn the wheel 180 deg (you don't have to open the housing and flip the gear itself) and then manually lower the light. that's what I did. I don't see where it says that process will cause the lights to do what mine are doing. If I missed it please point me to the specific part that I am overlooking.

Sorry maybe I read it wrong. Hopeing it would help you.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wait, I was under the impression you had to physically remove the gear, and flip/rotate it.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Wait, I was under the impression you had to physically remove the gear, and flip/rotate it.

You do by that thread.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Launching!

No you don't. LS1 just pull the arm, rotate the gear 180 deg manually, put the arm back on. Lower the headlight manually. Should re-sync itself when you turn on the headlights. Or so hundreds on the internet attest. I was not that lucky.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danbrazda
No you don't. LS1 just pull the arm, rotate the gear 180 deg manually, put the arm back on. Lower the headlight manually. Should re-sync itself when you turn on the headlights. Or so hundreds on the internet attest. I was not that lucky.
Maybe yours had been done before?

when i bought my car the drivers side headlight was grinding and flipping it 180 degrees did not fix it. i had to buy a brass gear. when the passenger side started making noise a few years later, i was able to flip that one successfully.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Launching!

I actually have two new motors that I can install and I'm confident all would be well after doing so. This has just become one of those puzzlers that I'm curious enough about to want to get some closure.

Bottom line that defies logic-
-Both motors are perfectly quiet implying that I am on the good side of both gears.
-Both headlights are in sync in that they both go up and down at the same time.

BUT

-the headlight switch in the on position tells the motors to go up but the lights to go off
-when turning the headlight switch off the lights turn on and the headlights go down

To me, all I should have to do it turn the headlights on and manually raise the lights so that they are in the proper position. Then (theoretically) when I switch the headlights off, they should turn off and go down. THEY DON'T.

Regardless of what manual manipulation I do, the headlight switch, control module , headlight motors and headlights have formed an alliance to drive me crazy by always reverting to lights on, headlights down. Lights off, headlights up.

Control module is not suspicious to me because it is consistent in relaying messages to the headlight motors. If the control module were bad, I would think it would be erratic. That and the fact that it has been flawless for the life of the car as well as immediately before the "free fix" of the headlight gears.

Can you tell I've gone over the top on this one?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn sounds as if the polarities got cross somehow. You haven't cut/splice any wiring have you?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
Damn sounds as if the polarities got cross somehow. You haven't cut/splice any wiring have you?
Nope. Anyone know if there is a relay between the headlight switch and headlight motor control module? If there is could I reverse it?
Old 12-10-2009, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rage113
I had the same problem with my drivers side light. Eventually it stopped working altogether. The problem was, one of the wire connections going into the harness was rusted up not making a good connection. All i had to do was loop a new wire, avoiding the harness. Its worked just fine for over a year now.
Same friggin problem on both cars. I need some help with this, what type of wire did you buy?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ska4life07
Same friggin problem on both cars. I need some help with this, what type of wire did you buy?
I just finished doing this I didn't add any more wire to it, I just cut and splice it using spade connectors that way when I need to replace something I just unplug it. I added this pic to first post in this thread.........

Name:  harness.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  77.9 KB

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE