Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure the linkage is not binding?

Damn we just broke the 1,000 marker!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry One headlight goes up the other comes down!

I've replaced the gears in my headlights but am having trouble with the Drivers side. The arm gets hung up somehow and doesn't work in the correct position but if I change the direction the arm bends then it works but is opposite of the passenger side. I've tried just about every combination under the sun and nothing works. Is there another place the arm can be adjusted? It's not like it's actually hitting something, it's just snapping into the wrong position when it closes and then doesn't have the leverage to open
I've tried manually putting it up or down and reconnecting the electrical plug but nothing seems to work.
I am so tired of this mess! I've taken this darn headlight apart at least 30 times now and am ready to throw a complete temper-tantrum!
Somebody please give me hint on how to do this.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sajah
Replaced the gears and both headlights work great except for the Drivers side. For some reason the "arm" keeps getting hung up and is making the headlight malfunction. I'm sure it has something to do with where the headlight is (open or closed) when you re-attach the arm but I've taken it apart several times now and something is just not right. I would appreciate any suggestions.
I have the same problem. I was told the gear itself was completely ruined and needed a new one. I guess I'll find out next week.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 PM
KRB
Teching In

Default headlights

I just replaced the gears in my 1998 TA and the drivers side is looser then the pass side when shut and you can see where it is rubbing the bumper cover. Is this normal or is there a fix. I looked everything over and it's put together right and everything is there and tight ??????
Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Default Part number needed

I need to replace my drivers side headlight assembly (someone hit and ran my TA) anyone know the part number? 2000 trans am btw.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Try a salvage yard or ebay. New its going to cost a lot of $

Even used they ask alot...........
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-21-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sajah
I've replaced the gears in my headlights but am having trouble with the Drivers side. The arm gets hung up somehow and doesn't work in the correct position but if I change the direction the arm bends then it works but is opposite of the passenger side. I've tried just about every combination under the sun and nothing works. Is there another place the arm can be adjusted? It's not like it's actually hitting something, it's just snapping into the wrong position when it closes and then doesn't have the leverage to open
I've tried manually putting it up or down and reconnecting the electrical plug but nothing seems to work.
I am so tired of this mess! I've taken this darn headlight apart at least 30 times now and am ready to throw a complete temper-tantrum!
Somebody please give me hint on how to do this.
I believe i've had this small issue and understand what is happening, however I do not know why but all I did was take it out and replace, alittle adjustment and haven't had the issue since...

somethings not right, there is a reason why this keeps happening, have someone flip the switch for you and watch very carefully with the bezel off and visualize it's mechanical capability...understand it's function...

been a while since I had to go back to my headlights but this is best advice I can give atm...especially since no-one else is chiming in.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 AM
Teching In

My head lights don't make any noise or do anything when i turn them on. Any ideas or things to try? Note, they are pluged in.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 AM
KRB
Teching In

Default headlights

Nobody has any INFO on my question???????????????????????????????
Old 02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have that driving light feature that pops up the headlight automatically. I was kinda ok with this a while back, but now I would love to disable this feature.

I saw some threads about it, but i can't find them anymore. any ideas?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sempire
I have that driving light feature that pops up the headlight automatically. I was kinda ok with this a while back, but now I would love to disable this feature.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/7096661-post8.html
Old 02-23-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sempire

Or you can wire in a toggle switch for ultimate control. I got tiny toggle switches for Auto headlight and one for DRL's.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Default Srsly, the bird needs halp!

Originally Posted by Zabo
My bird has a really odd problem with the lights. No mechanical problems; but rather a fitment problem. 4 years ago she was hit on the passenger side. New front fascia, fender, and headlamp (lid and all). When it was reinstalled it appears that they used the stock fitments and that the core support has no damage. However..

As you can see that lamp sits high when deployed and before my adjusting the eyelid and lamp itself it actually sat canted up when closed. Am I looking at a bent core support bracket or is there some sort of stop that I can adjust on the motor's arm to cause the lamp to align properly. That lamp is aiming at least 6 inches high or more and I'm almost positive it's blinding some people on the road.

It was hit before my ownership so I don't know what was replaced. These are just a few pics I took to get a general idea of what I'm dealing with. I can also get more shots since the snow has her parked and if I take apart the assembly I won't lose sleep over it.

Drivers POV: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0127.jpg

Both from the front: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0128.jpg

This one is properly aligned and was never damaged: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0129.jpg

This is the repair side: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0130.jpg

Deployed, OK side: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0131.jpg

Deployed, Bad side: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0132.jpg

Closed, Bad side: http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...E/IMAG0133.jpg

I'm assuming washers would be my best bet in adjusting the bracket but if there's just some bolt in that arm that I can tweak to lower the stop I'd rather do that. I want this thing to be presentable too at shows so it will be visible..

For the record, the owner wasn't at fault. Some teabagger kid hit him. He just never drove it and never got around to properly realigning them. His toy, my 'joy' so to speak.
Bump because I have no idea how to really rectify this other than shimming the assembly to point it down toward the ground. Not to mention the higher positioning is causing stress on the linkages and I want to get this fixed so I'm not restricted to driving in the daytime..
Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 AM
KRB
Teching In

Default Trans AM

So I replaced the gears in my headlight motors got them working good besides one side rubbing the front nose piece when shut. Finally got it out of the garage and now the blinkers or the flashers don't work, stopped and checked the fuse and it was blown. After replacing the fuse the flashers work but no turn signals, any ideas, or anything that might help.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

swap the flashers around
Old 03-03-2011, 05:25 PM
KRB
Teching In

Thank you Dann2tek works like a charm
Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

ok bought the aluminum gears from bfranker. got them installed about a month ago. everything work fine but now when i pop my headlights up the drivers side makes that damn noise again. but it doesn't make the noise when i pop them down. any help?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Default Lights

Anyone know of a place that sell the front marker light socket`s,mine were under water at one time an are pretty crusty.I bought the bigger gaskets from autotrix but yesterday while installing front marker light kit noticed one of them was really rusty.Any help would be appreciated.Also as far as front headlight motor issues,I went with Rodney Dickman`s gear kit.It`s a really nice kit an replaces the front headlight motor gears.All you need to do is pop the cover off the motor with puddy knife an replace gears with new aluminum gears an two part headlight motor together...thats all.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joesws6
Anyone know of a place that sell the front marker light sockets?
My local Autozone sales them.
Add some dielectric grease as well.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS9 Formula
ok bought the aluminum gears from bfranker. got them installed about a month ago. everything work fine but now when i pop my headlights up the drivers side makes that damn noise again. but it doesn't make the noise when i pop them down. any help?
I did the same and they're also starting to make the noise only going up, driver side, too. Any one got any ideas for us?

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE