Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by mellor_21
I'm pretty sure it decides where to stop from the motor encountering restriction. There should be one or two little round pieces of rubber that it runs into when it's closed and you twist them to raise and lower where it shuts. My memory of all of this is pretty foggy, though, but you should be able to find threads on this site that talk about it.
For what it's worth mine did this from my bumper being a little misaligned when i bought mine
i was able to fix it but when i did the gear sound started so i opened everything up and i already have the dick-man gears so i wasn't worried but when i opened the gear the freaking grease that was in LITERALLY somehow became rubber i had to clean the whole thing. closed everything and turns up and down fine just does the same old thing closes fully awesome then bumps a lil bit out destroying the looks.

pisses me off, hope some1 could shed some light here, im going to re-open everything once the lmc housings arrive.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

I'll see what i can find when i get home tonight. I assume your hood is set at the right height when closed? Also one of the arms can get bent from people sitting on the headlight
Old 01-26-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll see what i can find when i get home tonight. I assume your hood is set at the right height when closed? Also one of the arms can get bent from people sitting on the headlight
nobody and i mean nobody goes anywhere near the birdie or he's dead, i love my car, very protective i don't even allow my brother to drive it & he's got a 99z28.

is it normal to be able to lift the headlights with your hand when turned off?
or should they stay solid not allowing you to lift them.

if they shouldn't allow you to lift them, what's likely the problem cause it does lift when i try to do so.

although my main concern is making them fit with the body now, everytime i see a pic here and those lights so tight .. i start to hate every one hahahaha.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

I just went out and checked mine and I could lift it like an inch, maybe two but that's all.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine open all the way up..
Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

I sent you a pm, but really I'm stumped. I don't get how you can open it with your hand yet it still can work normally. Hopefully someone else chimes in with an idea
Old 01-28-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I sent you a pm, but really I'm stumped. I don't get how you can open it with your hand yet it still can work normally. Hopefully someone else chimes in with an idea
here's a stumpier fact ... the thing that lifts the headlight should hit those white stoppers right? it never does and it still operates JUST fine.

i'll start from those white thingies as soon as my LMC arrives can't wait to get brighter lights lol.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are the headlight arms riveted together? My headlight bounces around when they're open and I'm driving.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

nope they don't but hey i opened them up figured out the problem already
i just need to bend it a lil bit (the arm itself) and reverse the bolt's so that the arm won't hit it .. pretty easy job
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Can anyone tell me what exactly is the name of that part that you use an allen to manually raise/lower the headlights? Bought an '02 and was going to change out the motors. My passenger side is missing so I cant manually raise it. I checked ebay by typing in "02 firebird headlight" as key words and searched among the many items listed and only found the actuator rubber cover. Help?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by snake_skinner93
Can anyone tell me what exactly is the name of that part that you use an allen to manually raise/lower the headlights? Bought an '02 and was going to change out the motors. My passenger side is missing so I cant manually raise it. I checked ebay by typing in "02 firebird headlight" as key words and searched among the many items listed and only found the actuator rubber cover. Help?
till now i fixed every single issue with my head lights.

im not getting what you are trying to do though, you can just turn them on reach for the motor connection and cut it off ... turn the lights off and they won't go down.. do your work..

simple
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AmDWs6
till now i fixed every single issue with my head lights.

im not getting what you are trying to do though, you can just turn them on reach for the motor connection and cut it off ... turn the lights off and they won't go down.. do your work..

simple
Here is a pic of the piece I need. The problem being that my passenger side will not raise. I went to manually raise it and this piece was missing from that side of the car. Can not find a name for this little guy and kinda would like to have it.

Name:  DSC01160.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  126.1 KB
Old 03-16-2013, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Here is a pic of the piece I need. The problem being that my passenger side will not raise. I went to manually raise it and this piece was missing from that side of the car. Can not find a name for this little guy and kinda would like to have it.

Nevermind. Bought a new motor and it has this piece attached.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nevermind. Bought a new motor and it has this piece attached.
Honestly, you don't even need that piece to open them up
should have just opened the hood, two what ever holding the whole head unit open them up remove the arm (don't forget to remove the bulb harnesses) you are done !
Old 03-17-2013, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AmDWs6
Honestly, you don't even need that piece to open them up
should have just opened the hood, two what ever holding the whole head unit open them up remove the arm (don't forget to remove the bulb harnesses) you are done !
The motor was dead. Completely. I changed the driver side first. Took that **** off the old motor from the driver side and placed it on the dead passenger side. Raised it up manually. Changed it. Put it all back together and called it a day. No big deal.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Default headlight problems in my 98 ws6

I'm having problem with my headlights when I bought the car the guy that sold it to me said that the driver side headlight needed a new motor because when you turn on the lights it would open half way and the motor would continue running for a few second making a real nasty sound so I bought a new motor and installed it and it still does the same thing and when thurn on the lights there real low and when I disconnect the side with the with the motor problem the other side light works find I was wonder if maybe they have a sensor or something that I missed please help don't want to take it to a mechanic
Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

If you installed the motor yourself, you don't need to waste money on a mechanic. Read the sub thread at the top of this thread. It's for headlights. Move your post to there as well. Somebody's bound to get annoyed with the improper placement. Usually, a new motor is not required. It's the Teflon gears that go bad. There are no sensors. Only bump stops that tell the circuit to open and stop flowing current. I suspect your arms may be getting bound up or caught on something. That could prematurely ruin the gears as well. Example: some bone head ( before I owned my car ) took a motor out and reversed one of the long mounting bolts. Reversed, it was catching on the arm and ruined the gear. Read through the posts, and any vids you can find. Then go back through your car and take a really good look at everything. Try to manually operate the motor slowly and observe anything unusual. If your other side is working fine. Compare the crappy side to the good one and note any difference. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 542 Likes on 389 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Read the very first 'sticky' above in this Firebird section. Your answer will be there.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Launching!

pics in link from first post doesn't work, help?? i want to do the free fix...thanks
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Launching!

nvm link its working now. ty

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE