Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

'01 Firebird 3.8L - Need help with symptoms related to fuel filter, pressure, pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '01 Firebird 3.8L - Need help with symptoms related to fuel filter, pressure, pump

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I tried searching this forum but there were too many hits for other years :/ I'm hoping you guys can give me some suggestions and answer a question (near the end):

Symptoms:

1. Gas guage started acting up - very erratic (2 or 3 weeks ago)
2. Terrible gas mileage - car appears to "run out of gas" even when there should be fuel in the tank
3. After stalling, car is hard to get started - appears "flooded"
4. Car will die after idling
5. Car will shudder and sputter/stumble when putting in gear

Actions:
1. Replaced spark plugs and reset ECU while waiting for the gas condition to clear/dry out before restarting (spark splugs appear clean and non-fouled - very good condition so I kept them)
2. Plan to replace fuel filter this afternoon (assuming I can find it)

Questions:
1. I'm afraid this might be a fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator problem - where is the FPR on these 2001 Firebird 3.8Ls?
2. Does this sound like a fuel pump/filter/pressure regulator problem or something else?

Disclaimer: Some suggestions I would need further details on such as "check the grounds" - I have no idea how to do that even though I have a multimeter so I would need additional guidance in some cases if you are willing to give me an overview. (On some of these things I'm a novice so bear with me).

Also I've bookmarked the fuel filter replacement how-to @ http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...lacement_1.htm
Old 04-27-2015, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

I would start with free stuff. Clean sensors that have to do with the air/fuel ratio like the MAF, IAT, clean the TB, etc. Do you have a check engine light on? If so what is the code. Also, what I'm about to say is only being asked because you say you're fairly new to these and I'm saying this in a friendly manner, but you do know the link is for a LS1 car right? The process isn't much different as I recall, but just making sure you know the vent valve isn't in that exact spot. Have you done a fuel pressure test? If it doesn't hold pressure for 20 minutes after shutting off then it's your fuel pressure regulator. That is a bit of an annoying job but just take your time and understand it may take an hour or two or it may take all day depending on how much the car gods like you.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by FirebirdPhil
I would start with free stuff. Clean sensors that have to do with the air/fuel ratio like the MAF, IAT, clean the TB, etc. Do you have a check engine light on? If so what is the code. Also, what I'm about to say is only being asked because you say you're fairly new to these and I'm saying this in a friendly manner, but you do know the link is for a LS1 car right? The process isn't much different as I recall, but just making sure you know the vent valve isn't in that exact spot. Have you done a fuel pressure test? If it doesn't hold pressure for 20 minutes after shutting off then it's your fuel pressure regulator. That is a bit of an annoying job but just take your time and understand it may take an hour or two or it may take all day depending on how much the car gods like you.
I've cleaned the MAF as that was my first thought as I had an issue with it in another car. Not sure what IAT stands for or how to clean it

Haven't cleaned the throttle body.

There was a check engine light on about CAT efficiency below threshold but the CAT(s) are less than a year old and it appears I'm dumping fuel but I'm not positive because I can't keep it running. Fuel smell is strong however and I think its dumping raw fuel down through the exhaust causing the false CAT code.

About the link - right I knew it might not be exact but as long as it is close, I can figure out where the pieces fit together. Typically, I just need to be pointed in the right direction with a good overview of what to do and I can figure out the "how" as long as I know what I'm looking for.

The FPR is on the fuel rail near the firewall close to the ignition coils, correct?

Found this on another site:

This is going to be a PIA.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:27 AM

Also going to test the FPR (now that I know where it is) before I replace it to confirm/deny that it is wonky.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

The yellow circle is around the IAT. Always worth it to give any sensor that deal with air and fuel mixture a gentle cleaning. Let us know if you have any luck!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:03 AM

Will do! Great pic. I dread working on this but dread having it towed to mechanic and worked on worse
Old 04-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was throwing a code and changed the PCV valve and wallllla! Only about $2.50.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:50 AM

Bought a fuel pressure gauge and was reading 0 lbs. At that point I felt confident it was the Fuel Pump. I bought a dremel tool and opened an access panel and replaced the pump. Hardest part was getting the old one out as I had to bang on it to get it to turn to release. Once that was done, the rest was easy.

All is good now and working like a charm with the new pump (and upgraded wiring harness that came with it). Fuel gauge works perfectly as well now.

Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: '01 Firebird 3.8L - Need help with symptoms related to fuel filter, pressure, pump