Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Hardtop T56 Rarity

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardtop T56 Rarity

I know this limits things to the LT1 cars and '98 Formula, but exactly how rare are T56 hardtop cars? I've seen only a handful online and only one locally over the last year or two. I don't like T-tops as I'll never use them, and personally I like the look of the hardtop. It's why I got my '79 as a hardtop, along with the added(technically not removed) rigidity. Now I know on the fourth gen all cars were cut out for T-tops and the hardtop is just a composite panel sealed in place over the cutouts along with some thin metal pieces on each side, so there's really no difference like on earlier gens. That being said I guess I could live with T-tops provided they didn't leak, they'd just never be removed except to condition the seals once in a while.

I guess what I'm asking is should I bother with holding out for a hardtop T56 if they're that rare, or maybe they're not as rare as it seems? That being said I'd rather have a nice T-top car than a ragged out hardtop car, so it's not like it's a life or death matter like it would be on a second or third gen. Also I notice there are a lot of junked hardtop V6 cars, how hard would it be to convert? Would it just be a matter of welding in those pieces of metal, sealing in the roof panel, and then changing the door seals and headliner? Thanks for any direction in regards to either matter.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

what do you mean limits it to lt1 and 98 formulas, my 99 is a hardtop t56 car. I think you could still get a hardtop formula in 00 also . Keep looking you will find one . Also if you get a t top car i think 6le and midwest chassis make a top to make the car a hardtop . Its a lot of work but could be worth it to you .
Old 07-29-2015, 06:53 AM
Launching!

I thought the '98 Formula was the only year for some reason. Maybe it was '98 only for the LS1 Trans Am then. That sounds right after I think about it and what you said. I was thinking if I did convert a T-top car I should go through the trouble of seam welding in the cutouts to try and improve the rigidity somewhat before covering them up. So it's not a direct swap then I guess since places offer conversion tops. That kind of makes me want to hold out more, but at the same time I don't want to wait ages and pass up on good cars just because they have T-tops.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

they didnt make a hardtop ls1 ta for sale , i think like 1 or 2 were made but not for the public.

but 98-00 hardtop formula
Old 07-29-2015, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

There's a thread in the LT1 section right now on the subject of Hardtop rarity. Most of those guys seem to think they're not too rare but they seem to have A4 Camaros. Check out the 4gen production numbers at Trans Am World for a idea on numbers produced although the charts don't breakout A4 vs M6. You can kind of extrapolate the M6 numbers using the percentage of hardtop vs T-tops.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

T-tops were optional in the 1998-2001 Formulas and then standard on the 2002 model. T-tops were standard on all LS1 TA's.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always had a bit of trouble with the format on the transamworld site, but it makes it look like i have 1 of only 20 or 30 hard top M6 Trans Ams made in 95r....neat. I'm wondering how rare my torch red interior makes it since that interior color isn't even listed on the site...
Old 07-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Launching!

I tried finding some production numbers but I could only come across model breakdowns and then if it did go by body it was convertibles and then hardtop and T-top lumped together. I'll give that site a go though, thanks.

Yeah, I can't help but notice the hardtop is a good bit more common on the Z28. It's not that I don't like the Camaro, I actually like how the LT1 model looks, it's just I much rather have the Firebird since I like it more and it's what I've always wanted. A blacked out Z28 would be cool, but it's just not the same you know?
Old 07-29-2015, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

^^^I recently asked Johnny if he could break down the Hardtop/T-top combined number and he told me he regrets not getting the numbers when he had the chance. Johnny compiled the charts at Trans Am World and runs the 4th gen production stickie at the top of the page.
This is what he told me:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...l#post18883303
Old 07-29-2015, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

I was thinking that if you're a good welder and since you say you've seen hardtop V6 models at the junk yard, is it feasable to convert a T-top car? It seems like the LS cars have issues with the roof anyways and will sooner or later need the roof panel replaced. If you're considering this you may want to find some hardtop door seals now as GM is sure to discontinue them. $$$
Old 07-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Launching!

I found one thread where someone was converting from T-tops to hardtop and they said they best way to do it was get the metal plates, headliner, and seals off a donor and then order a new hardtop panel from GM or the like. Though from what was said earlier if companies are offering conversion roof panels it must be a little more involved than it'd seem. Like I said being the fourth gen I'm not as overly concerned like I was on my second gen being a factory hardtop. I'm just not big on removable roof panels as they always leak, had a Supra targa top that leaked too. That and I genuinely like the look of the hardtop more.

Either way I've started my search for a hardtop car, in particular the LT1 Formula. They're just so sleek and smooth. I like the LS1 Formula too, there's just something about the LT1 body that I really like. I guess I'd buy a nice Trans Am too, but I'm not a fan of the high rise spoiler and I like the base/Formula nose cones more.

Quick Reply: Hardtop T56 Rarity