Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

need advice on vats

Old 09-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on vats

I have a 2000 trans am and it hasn't started the past four days now, other than yesterday after I got home from work and tried it but it won't start again today.

I've never messed with wiring other than a radio, so I really don't trust myself hacking apart the ignition wires..

Is there anything I can do to remedy this that doesn't involve cutting up wiring and having to test the wires and know what to connect where etc.

This is my daily driver and only car so I'm gonna be SOL if it doesn't start tomorrow when I need to go to campus.

If cutting the wires and all that is the only way does anyone have a link to a good detailed write up? I can't seem to find one that is not vague.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a local tuner you can have them turn the vats off in the tune.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need to do any cutting of wires at all. you just need to find the resistance of your key and find a matching resistor. You then disconnect your VATS connector under your dash and you can insert the resistor on the back of the connector. checkout what some other people have done.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...how-video.html
Old 12-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never ended up doing this and the car left me stranded on campus, sooo...

reading that link the guy says you can cut the connector off the end of the orange wire that comes out of the key cylinder and then wire in your correct resistor then plug it back the connector and leave the orange wire just cut and it doesn't have to be hooked into anything because the circuit is completed by the resistor you wired in??

I'm a total electrical noob but my parents are wanting to take it to the local mechanic as a christmas gift who said he'd fix it for $100 n I'd really hate for them to do that if I can fix it for $10..
Old 12-15-2015, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BAN_ONE
I never ended up doing this and the car left me stranded on campus, sooo...

reading that link the guy says you can cut the connector off the end of the orange wire that comes out of the key cylinder and then wire in your correct resistor then plug it back the connector and leave the orange wire just cut and it doesn't have to be hooked into anything because the circuit is completed by the resistor you wired in??

I'm a total electrical noob but my parents are wanting to take it to the local mechanic as a christmas gift who said he'd fix it for $100 n I'd really hate for them to do that if I can fix it for $10..
no cutting is required. there is a connector you can simply disconnect and then you can actually just bridge the connection behind the connector with the correct resistor.

The previous owner of my car actually did this bypass before I got the car and I didn't figure out he did this until I had the column torn apart and fixed one of the wires that I thought I broke and the car didn't start after everything was put back together. I then looked how to bypass it and found the resistor already there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need advice on vats