Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Gas gauge reads "Full Tank" Check Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas gauge reads "Full Tank" Check Gauge

I have a v6 2000 Pontiac firebird I just purchased this car and the fuel tank reads "Full" but a couple days later the "check gauges" light came on and the "check engine" light. As soon as these lights came on the fuel tank gauge drops to empty. A few days later the "check gauge" and "check engine" light turned off and the "gas gauge" goes back to "Full". Any suggestions?
Old 11-13-2015, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a faulty fuel level sensor which will cause the Check Gauges light to come on. Have you tried actually filling up the car with gas?

As for the CEL, have you gotten the codes read?
Old 11-14-2015, 09:41 AM
Teching In

The F-bodies are known for their sending unit contacts getting varnished over. My '02 Z28 did something similar, with the gauge showing a full tank followed by an empty reading and "check gages" light (Canadian spelling?). Sometimes the fuel gauge needle would bounce back and forth. I let the fuel level drop in the tank and dumped some Seafoam in it. After a while the gauge started functioning properly again.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Ok so I had time to mess around with my bird yesterday, the check engine light is on for my oxygen sensor bank 2. I went to the gas station which was $1.95 a gallon and put $30 on pump 4, and little do you know it stopped at $19 and some change. So the bird now has a full tank for sure but I believe I pumped in around 10 gallons.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nandobando
I have a v6 2000 Pontiac firebird I just purchased this car and the fuel tank reads "Full" but a couple days later the "check gauges" light came on and the "check engine" light. As soon as these lights came on the fuel tank gauge drops to empty. A few days later the "check gauge" and "check engine" light turned off and the "gas gauge" goes back to "Full". Any suggestions?
Mine does the same exact same thing. 2002/ws6. I never cared to drop the fuel tank and fix it because it isn't a big deal to me since its not my daily
But I'd like to know what other people say
Old 11-21-2015, 12:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Drop tank put a new fuel pump in problem solved. The level sensor is included as part of the new pump assembly. Put a OEM pump back in.

Quick Reply: Gas gauge reads "Full Tank" Check Gauge