Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Single key door and ignition lock sets

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Single key door and ignition lock sets

Do they make them for the Firebirds and camaro? Specifically 4th gen?

I'm having trouble with my ignition lock, as well as the passenger door. The door has been tampered with, and the ignition is getting rough. I've got one extra key, and it sticks with both.

I was wondering if there's a single replacement kit for these? Much like the early 2000s GM trucks and cars. Hell 99 Dodge Ram and 99 Grand Prix has one key for everything.

I've tried searching, but keep finding sets for other cars. I'm starting to think no kit exists, but figured I'd ask here before i give up hope and move on.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I recall seeing somewhere that they cylinders aren't out there to go both ways. (I assume the advent of the resistor chip keys for the ignition is what made this impractical.) A good locksmith should be able to confirm what's available and out there. They may also be able to work something out for you with parts - but this could get really expensive.

BTW - Don't forget to take in to account your locking T-Tops in this equation, if you have them.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to say no. The steering column in these cars dates back to 1969 when GM started with wheel interlock, and it required a separate key and cylinder type for the doors and all other locks.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

If you bypass the VATS you can have a locksmith code the ignition to match the door. But you will have to use the oval key in the ignition. 90's caprice cop cars were keyed that way. No difference in door cylinders and ign lock cylinders internally from these cars to caprices and every other GM car made since 69. I remember police caprices and a few 3rd gen 90-92 Fbods that were fleet vehicles come in keyed like that.

Quick Reply: Single key door and ignition lock sets