Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1999 Trans Am exhaust set up

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1999 Trans Am exhaust set up

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you can help me and possibly give some input on the exhaust set up I'm currently piecing together.

I like the way the factory exhaust sounds on my 1999 ws6. Its not too loud but sounds really nice during acceleration. I would like to buy some headers and swap out the factory y-pipe set up for something else but don't want it to be too loud.

I was planning to buy Texas Speed 1&3/4 inch long tubes connected to a y-pipe with 2 electric cutouts installed before the cats, while still retaining the factory axle back exhaust. This is mainly because I want to still be legal for inspection and keep the noise down, but be able to open the cutouts when I want. I attached an illustration showing the set up.

Is this a good looking set up? Should I modify the factory catted y-pipe with the cutouts or just buy an offroad y-pipe and keep the original y-pipe to swap back on for inspections? Or go a completely different route?

Im planning to do this in conjunction with an LS6 intake swap(and delete EGR), LS6 PCV set up, and a tune. My ws6 is all factory as of now besides a stage 2 TDP transmission and Monster stage 2 clutch.

Any input is appreciated,

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 Trans Am exhaust set up-img_20151129_162623.jpg  
Old 11-29-2015, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I think two cutouts would be overkill and it will be ridiculously loud lol.
I think the best option would be Lt's into a ory then a cutout welded in the factory I pipe with stock cat back. That is what I run. Here is a video of my car with a single electric cutout after my ory
Old 11-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I think two cutouts would be overkill and it will be ridiculously loud lol.
I think the best option would be Lt's into a ory then a cutout welded in the factory I pipe with stock cat back. That is what I run. Here is a video of my car with a single electric cutout after my ory
https://youtu.be/CeBvcxzvID0
I appreciate the info, your car sounds good. I think if I go with an offroad y-pipe, I wont be getting a cutout. I think the headers + ory will sound fine and flow well.

Do you know if the TSP ory will work with the factory ws6 axle back? I don't know the size of the piping on either.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by gongshow71
I appreciate the info, your car sounds good. I think if I go with an offroad y-pipe, I wont be getting a cutout. I think the headers + ory will sound fine and flow well.

Do you know if the TSP ory will work with the factory ws6 axle back? I don't know the size of the piping on either.
Yes it will, the inside dia. of the ory outlet is 2.5in. meaning the outside dia. is 2.75in.
On the stock I pipe the inside dia. is 2.75in. You will be able to slide the I pipe over the ory outlet and clamp it

Quick Reply: 1999 Trans Am exhaust set up