Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car won't start

hey guys I need some help, to make a long story short I replaced my ignition cylinder after busting it, so replaced with new gm one along with new gm cut vat keys with proper ohms reading but car won't start.When I turn ignition on all dash lights come on along with security light, security light goes off then turn to run and all gauge lights go off and car still won't start, and ideas would help before it goes to gm and spend toooo much money, thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 05:53 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like you might have improperly connected the ignition cylinder wiring, or the plug isn't seated in good enough to make a connection. The tiny wire that runs down the steering column (and plugs in towards the base) might not be making a good connection.

I know it's a huge pain, but you might want to take it all back apart and double-check everything.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually a symptom of a dead/dying battery, or loose connection at the battery terminal connection. All the dash lights go out because it looses electricity, i.e., dead batt or bad connection. Did you disconnect the battery? This would be the normal place to start looking; battery/connection. If this is elementry common sense, I apologize; you did not specify. As mentioned above by y2k, other loose connections can cause this as well but as many know, the battery and battery connections are the first place to look. Bad grounds can cause this as well...

Last edited by CamaroWhoopAss; 01-03-2016 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Added more info

Quick Reply: car won't start