Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1989 Pontiac Firebird SSA ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Pontiac Firebird SSA ???

Hello, I need some help. I have a 1989 Firebird and I think it might be a SSA. it was the cloth seats, Plastic wheel caps, It was made in CA, It has the TA/GTA ground affects, it also has the 2.8l with the 700r, It has no emblems saying SSA, but i do know that the 2nd half of the year it didnt come with the emblems. Any way i can 100% prove that it is a SSA?
1989 Pontiac Firebird SSA ???-imvgphz.jpg

1989 Pontiac Firebird SSA ???-qky8sqz.jpg

1989 Pontiac Firebird SSA ???-qm5g3ig.jpg

1989 Pontiac Firebird SSA ???-bg7ceoh.jpg
Old 02-10-2016, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

From what I understand, unless you have the original window sticker, then it is impossible to know if it's an SSA. You are right about the badges, but even then someone could have just put them on the car and there would be no way of knowing if it was an original SSA. I looked in my Standard Catalog Of Firebird for you and it isn't even mentioned.
It was just an appearance package marketed for those unable to afford a more costly Trans Am or GTA. I found the following on another forum, just for your info, but you probably already saw it. I'll just post it for others interested in the topic.

"In 1989 an option became available on base model Firebirds called the "Sport Appearance Package". This package was basically nothing more than the Trans Am front and rear bumpers with the Trans Am side gfx to make the car look more sporty. Early in 1989 when the package was first released some CA cars were called Firebird SSA's and Firebird XS's. The idea was to market these models in specific regions and they started out with CA. The model for the Sacramento area of CA was given the designation "SSA" while the model for the Los Angeles area of CA was called the "XS". The package consisted of noting more than an appearance treatment that included SSA or XS emblems on the front fenders and rear bumper. The Firebird SSA and XS designations were later dropped toward the end of the 1989 model year."

Quick Reply: 1989 Pontiac Firebird SSA ???