Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Front Lower Control Arms

Old 03-13-2016, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Lower Control Arms

I am replacing my front lower control arms on my 2001 Pontiac Firebird. The issues in running into is that each bolt that goes through the bushing (one horizontal and one vertical) aren't wanting to go right in. If I do the horizontal side first then I run into the issue of dropping the bolt through the vertical bushing and it not lining up correctly. If I do the vertical side first then I run into an issue with the bolt going through the horizontal bushing hitting the tie rod and not going in at all without hitting the tie rod. Any suggestions? Does the end of the rack come out easily so I could fit the bolt in straight?
Old 03-14-2016, 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I am dealing with this now as I am replacing the K Member

The vertical bolts I was able to get out easily by pushing the control arm all the way back in the slots.

The horizontal ones I had to remove the rack. The passenger side bolt comes out easily on the rack however the drivers side I see no way to get it out until the K member is dropped. I tried everything to get around the tie rods (short of removing the tie rods completely). After loosing the drivers rack bolt i was able to "pivot" the rack enough to get the passenger side control arm horizontal bolt completely off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Lower Control Arms