Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

What to look for when picking up car

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What to look for when picking up car

Hey guys and gals,

I'm heading down to PA to look at and pick up (if all is well) a 2000 Trans am ws6 I won on eBay. Is there a thread already created or some things to look at/for when I get there? I'm not a mechanic but I have some basic vehicle knowledge. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2016, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Common issues are the head light motors not working(grinding), power window motors going out our being really slow, and the sail panel (between t-tops and hatch) bubbling due to the adhesive gassing out. Look out for the rear axle leaking too. Other than that look for common general car issues.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thanks!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another thing to watch for is rust, especially on the underbody.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Arguably the most value aspect of a vehicle is its "frame", i.e. the frame rails and pinch weld type of structures underside. This can be extended into suspension components such as tie rods, ball joints, control arms, sway bars, check to make sure they are not bent/abused or worn to the point of needing major maintenance.

The frame rails / pinch weld cannot be fixed (Easily/cheaply) so this is the focus of your attention, from the point of view as the vehicle as an investment (if the engine is original).

Now, moving to the engine, you will want to see a clean surface between major gasket sealing areas, i.e. the valve covers should be clean all the way around the seal (Put your hand around the cover, even behind the engine to find oil leaks) the same goes from front cover/front main and rear portions of the engine where it mates the transmission. There will be a little drip still hanging off anyplace not recently cleaned so pay attention to the low points of the drivetrain.

The engine should also have good compression (I compression test every engine/car before I buy it, no question) and the plugs all need to look the same, and clean (pretty white/tan with no indication of damage/abuse, and especially no oil). There should also be brackets/hangers for such things as the exhaust, it should be very tidy and clean, good rubber, every bracket in place, no rattles or odd swinging around. People love to half-*** exhaust systems so give it a wiggle and make sure all mounts are in place.

The wiring should be original, look for any wiring done. If a pro does wire a car, there is no sign of it, take that fwiw.

On to the body panels,
check each body panel for fitment. use your EYES and LOOK between panels (for example: door and fender) and make sure the gap is the SAME ALL AROUND. I cannot stress this part enough. Every panel needs to line up with the same exact gap on both sides. Look inside ALL panels, especially the trunk/quarter panel area for body work.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I made these/collected them together for 240sx but it still applies to all vehicles in general, there are many more you can CLICK one of them for the full album.

Name:  ugly_zpsgntv71ge.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  158.8 KB
Name:  pinch-raise_zpsuzpmse4f.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  272.5 KB
Name:  notforshowcars_zpssm467xcz.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  285.6 KB
Name:  paint2_zpsy1wd8wwh.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  309.0 KB
Name:  framerailnearmint_zpsa0dah8br.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  147.8 KB
Name:  frameraildamaged_zpsktqyfndq.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  151.1 KB
Name:  framerailfair_zpsu9aikn4v.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  113.1 KB
Name:  factoryperf_zpszows4p7c.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  374.7 KB
Name:  checktheframe_zps13g1cpeq.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  163.6 KB
Name:  frameblockfowood_zpswvsnhrft.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  124.3 KB
Old 05-18-2016, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the headlights to see if they move open and closed. Window motors, both sides! Power antenna working. Use the stereo, are any of the speakers blown?! Does the digital readout on the stereo do 'funny' things? If it's a manual, how's the clutch feel! Check all the fluids. Check the rear-end for leaks and check the nuts, have they been removed! Leather seats? - wear and tear? - If it has low miles the seats shouldn't be worn! And of course anything else that you would normally check on any used ride.

Chris
Old 05-20-2016, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Cars from any state with 4 season weather especially where roadsalt gets put down is R U S T !!! I can't tell you how many cars I've inspected in wintery states that I found small bits of rust under the car and lower panels.

Make sure you turn on everything from the radio, hazards lights, wipers, AC, heater, power windows & locks and let them run for a bit.

Quick Reply: What to look for when picking up car