Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1998 TA w/ bigger rear swaybar rub!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 TA w/ bigger rear swaybar rub!!!

I recently installed a Belltech Rear Anti-Sway bar. Much bigger than stock of course, I think it was 21MM if not mistaken. When driving over uneven surfaces I would hear a bad crunch/rubbing noise, didn't sound good. So I inspected it and noticed it was rubbing the rear shock and rear end housing. I adjusted it so it isn't rubbing the shock anymore but it is still against the rear end housing. Should I get a shorter end link or can I cut it down or is there some other adjustment that I am not aware of. Please help I can't drive it with it rubbing and it is driving me crazy not to be able to use it. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you installed it, did you tighten the end-link with weight on the wheels or hanging?
Old 05-17-2016, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

21mm isn't really much bigger than stock, this was actually the stock size for the 1LE optioned cars so it should fit just fine. Non-1LE V8s received 19mm, so if it looks much bigger than the one you removed, then it's probably bigger than 21mm.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:50 PM
Teching In

The rear was "loaded" when it was installed. Jack under rear end housing to simulate load. Everything is tight.

It might of been 25mm, one was 21 and the other 25, meaning front and back since both were replaced.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by PontiacExcitement
The rear was "loaded" when it was installed. Jack under rear end housing to simulate load. Everything is tight.

It might of been 25mm, one was 21 and the other 25, meaning front and back since both were replaced.
It wouldn't be 25 and 21, as the stock front bar was 30mm on the base V8s and 32mm on the SS/WS6/Firehawk/1LE cars. Perhaps the new front bar was 35mm then.

If the rear one is really only 21mm, then it should fit no problem because, again, that was the factory size on the 1LE models. I bought a 1LE 21mm rear bar years again and frankly it didn't look that much bigger than the stock 19mm bar. 19mm to 21mm is only a 10% difference, noticeable but not "much" bigger like you first mentioned....therefore I wonder if you received a bar that's bigger than what you ordered (and perhaps that would explain the fitment issues.)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Yeah I was totally off on the bars. You got it right, the front is 35mm and the rear is 22mm. I just looking up my order. This is why I ask ?s. LOL I am pretty new at all of this stuff but have an understanding of most of it. Can't rebuild and engine or transmission or anything. LOL. So if its only a bit bigger I wonder how 3mm makes that much of a difference to make a rub. You would think there would be more tolerance there that just 3mm clearance. I am lost. I don't think the end links were longer either, I tossed them when I put the new stuff on, they were pretty worn out.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PontiacExcitement
Yeah I was totally off on the bars. You got it right, the front is 35mm and the rear is 22mm. I just looking up my order. This is why I ask ?s. LOL I am pretty new at all of this stuff but have an understanding of most of it. Can't rebuild and engine or transmission or anything. LOL. So if its only a bit bigger I wonder how 3mm makes that much of a difference to make a rub. You would think there would be more tolerance there that just 3mm clearance. I am lost. I don't think the end links were longer either, I tossed them when I put the new stuff on, they were pretty worn out.
Im betting something went wrong when installed. Post pics for us, ive heard of guys installing the bars upside down and having rubbing issues.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:22 AM
Teching In

I will have to check for that. Getting a pic is going to be fun to get. I don't have a garage and it has been raining here like everyday for a month. Well that is what it feels like anyway. LOL. Thanks for all the info.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a rubbing issue when I turned hard left after I installed larger sway bars. It turned out to be a flashlight I left on the frame, lol.

Check the install
Old 08-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Teching In

I have fixed this issue. It was upside down. Easy fix though. Sorry it didn't get back to this sooner. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 1998 TA w/ bigger rear swaybar rub!!!