Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Newbie build, 2000 WS6 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie build, 2000 WS6 LS1

Hey guys I have come here for some help. I picked up a couple of project cars in varying degrees of condition. The one I am trying to restore is a 2000 Trans Am with 200k miles and blown head gaskets and overall trashed. I picked up a wrecked 2001 Camaro Z28 for parts with 80k miles It has a Strange Rear end with 4.11 gears 3000 stall converter in it. The motor work is unclear and I was only told it has an SLP cam but unable to verify are there any markings to look for. Also, the Heads were supposedly done by a shop called MTI Racing and was told they have Comp springs installed.

I am trying to come up with a plan for the build. I would like to build a single Turbo Car (with a Huron Speed kit) eventually once I get some junk out of my garage. but back to my questions.

I am looking to start purchasing parts for this motor I am looking to build something I can take to drag strip occasionally but mostly cruising. Would like something that could beat my 2015 Mustang Gt. Where should I start with a motor where I have no clue about the internals. Any recommended upgrades that I should do while the motor is out (for example timing chain, oil pump ect.) in plans for eventually going to a turbo setup. Thanks in advance for the help. Doug
Old 05-19-2016, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Douglas Solak
Hey guys I have come here for some help. I picked up a couple of project cars in varying degrees of condition. The one I am trying to restore is a 2000 Trans Am with 200k miles and blown head gaskets and overall trashed. I picked up a wrecked 2001 Camaro Z28 for parts with 80k miles It has a Strange Rear end with 4.11 gears 3000 stall converter in it. The motor work is unclear and I was only told it has an SLP cam but unable to verify are there any markings to look for. Also, the Heads were supposedly done by a shop called MTI Racing and was told they have Comp springs installed.

I am trying to come up with a plan for the build. I would like to build a single Turbo Car (with a Huron Speed kit) eventually once I get some junk out of my garage. but back to my questions.

I am looking to start purchasing parts for this motor I am looking to build something I can take to drag strip occasionally but mostly cruising. Would like something that could beat my 2015 Mustang Gt. Where should I start with a motor where I have no clue about the internals. Any recommended upgrades that I should do while the motor is out (for example timing chain, oil pump ect.) in plans for eventually going to a turbo setup. Thanks in advance for the help. Doug
Is your 2015 Gt stock? If so, minor bolts ons is enough to beat one.
If you ultimately want to do a turbo build you might be better off scrapping the unknown modded engine you have now and pick up an iron block 5.3L from a truck and turbo that, as those can take quite a bit of boost totally stock. Check out the forced induction section.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks JD AMG... I will look into a 5.3l build sounds like it may be easier to do down the road. For now, I am going to take the heads to a shop to get flow tested. And pick out a cam and valve springs (there are a lot of choices and everyone has a different opinion). The car has Long tube headers and LS6 intake also. Since I'm going to heads off and change the springs. I am thinking of doing new pushrods and LS7 lifters as well as upgrade the timing chain and oil pump. Other than a good tune am I missing anything to make decent cruiser?

Quick Reply: Newbie build, 2000 WS6 LS1