Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

just bought 1999 TA and it died 1mi after driving off the lot :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 01:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought 1999 TA and it died 1mi after driving off the lot :(

Hi guys, this is my 4th fbody and 1st ls1. I wish this was an ecstatic intro post but it isn't

Long story short, I bought my '99 TA from a respected dealership with 59k mi on it today. So happy, TTops and 6spd manual! Got a mile down the road (literally) and the abs light went on, then the check engine light, then all the gauges died and dashboard went dark (it was night time) the car started to sputter so I pulled in to the nearest parking lot and it died.

Tried to start and got the clicking indicating a dead battery. Wife was behind me in our other car and we jumped it, fired right up. Left it connected for a couple min. Disconnected battery, looked at the battery voltage gauge and it was in the yellow and going down then it died again. Wife was pissed and I got the "I knew this would happen" crap.

I checked the battery, an interstate one that was labeled 10/15...it's only a year old! My next thought was alternator.

I called my salesman and he called a tow that got it back to the dealer. They said they would diagnose and fix Monday.

Thoughts?
Old 10-30-2016, 03:03 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,059 Posts

If the battery took a charge and is new-ish, and the voltage gauge was showing low charging once you got it started again, then I would also suspect the alternator. That is assuming that both the belt and tensioner are intact and in working order. But I think you would have noticed if the belt had been tossed as power steering would have immediately gone away right along with charging.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's no fun! But in all, it sounds like a minor hurdle to get past. Your dealer took it back & like said, either a battery or alternator.

It's a 17yo car, but with the low miles, and once its fixed, you'll be happy with the car!

I bought a 2002 Firehawk last year, it sat in my garage for 2 months, until the snow melted. First morning I went to drive it to work - the battery was dead. Easy fix, but I was bumped losing out on the first say I was supposed to be driving the thing instead of looking at it in garage!

Oh and share some pictures of the new ride when you get it back!
Old 10-30-2016, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys I really appreciate it! I certainly will post pictures when she gets home and it's good to go
Old 10-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonstiller
Long story short, I bought my '99 TA from a respected dealership
Ha! I didn't know such a thing existed. Throw them under the bus! Who was it?

Welcome to the site. Please also add your location to your profile so we can know where there are respectable dealers.

To add to what the others have said, this is probably something easy. I would guess that the dealer probably changed a part, like the alternator or the battery, and either broke the exciter wire or left another wire in the charging system loose.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Lol what I meant is that it was not some mom and pop joint. Your right though, poor choice of words lol. FYI I'm in las Vegas and the dealer is planet Nissan. Thanks for the additional tips, I'll be sure to pass that along to the mechanics
Old 10-30-2016, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Cars get traded in because something is wrong in most instances. Dealerships and used car lots rarely find out what it is despite their 1,000 point bogus inspections .
I agree with everyone else that once you get the problem solved, the car will hopefully be good to go. The miles are certainly right unless they were accumulated 1/4 mile at a time. Hopefully you did your homework before the purchase (test drive, maintenance history, Carfax, etc..).
Looking forward to hearing how everything went, and if the dealership paid for the repairs.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

it is quite common for cars on lots to have weak or junk batteries, regardless of vehicle or battery age. They sit for days or weeks between being driven an then they aren't driven long enough for the battery to reach full charge. That said it sounds like the alternator took a crap since it died while driving and was not charging while running.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Cars get traded in because something is wrong in most instances. Dealerships and used car lots rarely find out what it is despite their 1,000 point bogus inspections .
I agree with everyone else that once you get the problem solved, the car will hopefully be good to go. The miles are certainly right unless they were accumulated 1/4 mile at a time. Hopefully you did your homework before the purchase (test drive, maintenance history, Carfax, etc..).
Looking forward to hearing how everything went, and if the dealership paid for the repairs.
I definitely did my homework. Carfax was clean and showed a detailed history of regular maintenence. You got me all nervous now though
Old 10-30-2016, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude you are going to be fine. Remember though that it is sill a 17 year old car no matter how low the miles are.The plastic gets brittle, leather gets dry, rubber dries out…etc etc.

I am sure if you google around enough you can learn all the things to expect.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Lol thanks brother, yea the dash looks like a smashed potato chip, both doors have a nice clean crack in the plastic, missing cover on the driver's belt buckle, seat back lever is missing the plastic cover and the pass. Door lock plastic cover are missing. Other than that and normal paint chips and such it is immaculate. Underside looks clean and unmolested and engine bay looks brand new. Drives like a new car too! I know this because I was comparing the test drive in this one to a couple other 150k mileage birds...I got it for7.5k otd so other than the current issue I cant complain.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I guess you will be doing some combing over of the threads to fix the door panels and looking for some parts.

Luckily the alternator and battery are both easy fixes and wont cost you a thing .
Old 10-31-2016, 07:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Lol thanks brother, yea the dash looks like a smashed potato chip, both doors have a nice clean crack in the plastic, missing cover on the driver's belt buckle, seat back lever is missing the plastic cover and the pass. Door lock plastic cover are missing. Other than that and normal paint chips and such it is immaculate. Underside looks clean and unmolested and engine bay looks brand new. Drives like a new car too! I know this because I was comparing the test drive in this one to a couple other 150k mileage birds...I got it for7.5k otd so other than the current issue I cant complain.
Sounds like a car that was stored outside. We have a number of good threads on replacing the dash pad. There is a special (very long) thread on the door cracking problem - every car has the issue. <- Fortunately, that one can be made much better with your current parts.

If you are talking about a missing cover on the seat belt part that is attached to the shoulder strap, that will require a new seat belt assembly. Fortunately, that's a safety part - so they are still made new. The new ones are actually upgraded and don't have the plastic piece that I assume broke on you.

If you are going to keep the car for a long time, you should also look at getting a set of GM Factory Service Manuals for the car. Helm, Inc. prints them, but a number of years are unavailable now. Good sets do come up every once-in-a-while on ebay. These manuals will show you how to replace all of these trim pieces, without breaking something else!
Old 10-31-2016, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 99 Trans Am and my Alternator just went last year too... I guess they are getting to that age.
It's an easy fix... don't let it get ya down.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I got it for7.5k otd so other than the current issue I cant complain.
At that price, you can put a few grand into it comfortably and still be in good shape. You'll be fine. Good luck with everything.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks fellas, I'm on the hunt for service manuals now. I found the PDF database on this site already. Good stuff! You guys remind me of when I was on 3rdgen.org back in the day. Great peeps!
Old 10-31-2016, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on your buy. Looking forward to hearing about the fix. Also looking forward to seeing the car photo.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:27 AM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news you can still get oe dash pad if you want to spend the cash. Got mine from a dealership
Old 10-31-2016, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Loose wire on the alternator. She runs great now! Thanks fellas!!!
Old 11-01-2016, 06:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

good to hear.

Quick Reply: just bought 1999 TA and it died 1mi after driving off the lot :(