Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What a mess

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a mess

Have a 2000 trans am. Turn signals were blinking erratically, now not at all. Hazards still working. Changed turn signal switch on the advice of an ase certified mechanic. Still no turn signals, hazards still working. I need help.. Lol
Old 12-01-2016, 03:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like a bad flasher
Old 12-01-2016, 07:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by morice68
Changed turn signal switch on the advice of an ase certified mechanic.
1) They should loose their certification.
2) If you paid someone else to change your switch, you should kick them in the nuts and request your money back.

Folks to pay top dollar for electrical work on cars, but this is electrical 101 stuff... Our turn signals are nothing special and have a design common to most cars built in the mid-to-late 1900's and in to the 2000's. Maybe this was a BMW mechanic???

ElkySS has the answer. It's a 5 minute, $5 fix.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Elky is correct, and i enjoy wssix's violent tendencies.

i had the same problem with my right front blinker. hazards would work but not the signal. so i got a new blinker (light hub/ blinker hub) from autobone after they asked me if firebird was made by ford and if it was 2 door or 4 door, spliced it in and still wouldnt work.....

it was a universal after all so i had to modify the bulb that fit into it (sanding down part of the plastic with a jewelers file). it would work for awhile but act up so my final fix was basically packing it full of dielectric grease. hasnt failed since.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by TheUrbz
Elky is correct, and i enjoy wssix's violent tendencies.
I don't think I have violent "tendencies" nor do I generally condone kicking another person in the man-region. However, in my copy of the Man Manual, such an action is permissible for gross incompetence or when someone takes you for a ride and charges you for an unnecessary and expensive car repair...
Old 12-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Default I'm not opposed to violence

Thank you for the response and information. I originally bought a flasher and was told by several mechanically inclined people that I was wrong. So 6 hours of work, being late for work, and pissed off. Now I go back to the $12 part and 15 minutes of work. People wonder why I'm medicated.. Lol
Old 12-01-2016, 05:20 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by morice68
Thank you for the response and information. I originally bought a flasher and was told by several mechanically inclined people that I was wrong. So 6 hours of work, being late for work, and pissed off. Now I go back to the $12 part and 15 minutes of work. People wonder why I'm medicated.. Lol
What a mess.

You can be confident in knowing that you were right!

As to not confuse in your medicated state... watch out - there are two flashers. One for the hazards and one for the turn signals. The hazards are on the left side of the steering column and the turn signals are on the right side, under the lip of the bottom of the dash.

(People with this problem have driven themselves mad/off a cliff when they accidentally change the wrong flasher!)
Old 12-01-2016, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
What a mess.

You can be confident in knowing that you were right!

As to not confuse in your medicated state... watch out - there are two flashers. One for the hazards and one for the turn signals. The hazards are on the left side of the steering column and the turn signals are on the right side, under the lip of the bottom of the dash.

(People with this problem have driven themselves mad/off a cliff when they accidentally change the wrong flasher!)
Yup.. Got it covered bro. A big thanks to everyone for the help

Quick Reply: What a mess