Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

rpo code with vin?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rpo code with vin?

I'm looking at buying another Trans Am and it's supposed to be a WS6 but a lot of parts have been changed around. I have the vin but not the rpo codes, and even if I had those I wouldn't trust it because he said he changed the doors. I want to see if anyone knows of a site that I can get the rpo codes with the vin number. I'll check the dealer if nothing comes up here and I did quite a few searches but didn't find a recent answer. Any help?

VIN- 2G2FV22G2Y2142253
Old 12-01-2016, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

www.compnine.com

Or, take the VIN to a GM parts counter and ask for a list of the RPOs.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually just opened an account with compnine.com I was too impatient. Five searches for $5. Not bad. And as I suspected it isn't a WS6
Old 12-01-2016, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Looks like you have your answer, however you mentioned there being a bunch of changes to the car (including doors?) so collectibility is probably a non-issue even if it was an original WS6. The only additional premium at this point would be the parts value of the OEM WS6 items - if it even still had them.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya that's true. I was really looking into value as far as what a regular Trans Am goes for vs a WS6. I tend to buy and sell stuff a lot and I don't want to take a bath on a car if I end up selling.

The car has the seats, wheels, doors (really not convinced on why) and the engine/trans from a CETA.

It's stock other than stranos and Bilstein's and a few other suspension bits. Does have the WS6 hood. Not sure if that's a replica or not. Overall a really nice looking car.

That stuff doesn't really bother me as I'm not looking for a top dollar car. I'm just looking for something fun to semi daily.

The car is still priced well as for it's condition, as long as the pictures aren't lying and neither is he.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

The only items of specific "WS6 value" would be the hood and wheels, assuming they are OEM. Engine/drivetrain is the same from base Formula all the way to WS6 CETA, so no change in desirability there. And I have no idea why both doors would have been swapped - they don't rust and there is no difference or advantage to a CETA door.

If it does have an OEM WS6 hood and nice OE WS6 wheels, then it would be fair to price the car a bit higher than a base Trans Am as these items can carry significant parts value.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya the doors threw me because I know they don't easily get beat up being plastic. He said they were and that's why I wanted the rpo code from the vin. The wheels are off of the CETA. I'm going to check it out Saturday, if it's as nice as the pictures show then I'll probably have to grab it. If not I'll get the Camaro SS I'm looking at. I'm seriously having a hard time deciding between the two!

Quick Reply: rpo code with vin?