Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Coolant issue??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant issue??

So before I tear I to the head gaskets I need some input for my 1996 trans am LT1 M6
When I start the car with the radiator cap off coolant immediately begins bubbling out even before the car is warm. When I loosen the bleed screw to get air out of the system air comes out consistently. The car heats up to the notch above 210 (whatever that is) and I **** it down. This all happened out of nowhere today.

backstory. I bought the car 2 years ago and it ran fine. I parked it to paint the car and clean up the engine bay. While doing this I did drain and refill the coolant. I just started getting the car all together and on the road after starter issues. Is it possible that I just have some big *** air pockets in there or is this clearly a head gasket issue
Old 05-23-2020, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

Sounds like a head gasket. Get a "Block Check" kit with the squeeze ball and liquid that changes color in the presence of combustion gases. The squeeze ball is a sniffer and you will quickly know if you have a blown head gasket.

Rick
Old 05-23-2020, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Ya I figure it’s gonna be an entire tear down 🙄. My only bit of hope was because it bubbles when the engine is cold and the thermostat is closed leading me to believe there may be a blockage somewhere or just a whole lot of air in the radiator.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

You have a nice air pocket trapped inside the engine and once the engine starts warming up it pushes the coolant right out of the radiator. Top it off and add coolant slowly and once filled start the car and let it run for about 10 seconds and shut it off. Add coolant slowly and repeat process.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Well I didn’t want to play the guessing game and just started tearing her down to do the head gaskets. When I pulled the pcv, water flung out, when I pulled the throttle body, water in that too. Valve covers look like choccy milk. So now I hope nothing is super screwed up. I’m running into a ton of bolts that either weren’t tight at all or are too tight to even break loose. One header bolt on each side(of course the only dang one you can’t use a socket on) and both of the very very back head bolts are wayyyyyyyyyyy over torqued.

Quick Reply: Coolant issue??