Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Which chunk for fab 9"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which chunk for fab 9"?

First of all I have searched for the last 2 hours and only found the everlasting "What rear end do I buy?" Threads. With that being said here is my story.

I have a 2000 T/A with a blown up factory 10 bolt. I found a nice fab 9" used for sale out of a 2001 Camaro SS. The feller that I'm buying it from has 3 of these cars and wants to keep the 3rd member to put in his other car. So I will be getting the complete rearend minus the 3rd member. It has 31 spline axles. I will be daily driving this car (I love me some curves) and dont plan on more than 500whp after engine mods are completed. Now to my questions if anyone can help

1: Spool, Detroit locker or tru trac? I read spool was bad for anything but track use but didn't see much on the other 2. And I don't see wavetrac as an option when I look for 3rd members.

2: What yoke do I need? Does this depend on whether or not I can use my factory driveshaft?

3: can I use my factory torque arm? When I looked at the rear end it seems I remember him having an aftermarket torque arm.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Justin
Old 01-20-2017, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ideally, buy new axles and go with the wavetrac, or better yet... Strange Strac.

If you can't swing that then I suppose the Tru Trac for street manners. I hurt my Tru Trac with roughly 430 rwhp years ago. If you're an automatic, you might get away with a locker. No experience with them but they sound like they are annoying on the street with a manual, constantly locking and unlocking. I run the Strac on the street and you can't tell it's back there, drives like stock. Wavetrac should have very similar manners. If you drag race at all, Tru Trac wouldn't be my choice.

As far as the stock torque arm, I'm not sure. But it's a stamped steel piece and I would want to get rid of it anyway.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bullman926
First of all I have searched for the last 2 hours and only found the everlasting "What rear end do I buy?" Threads. With that being said here is my story.

I have a 2000 T/A with a blown up factory 10 bolt. I found a nice fab 9" used for sale out of a 2001 Camaro SS. The feller that I'm buying it from has 3 of these cars and wants to keep the 3rd member to put in his other car. So I will be getting the complete rearend minus the 3rd member. It has 31 spline axles. I will be daily driving this car (I love me some curves) and dont plan on more than 500whp after engine mods are completed. Now to my questions if anyone can help

1: Spool, Detroit locker or tru trac? I read spool was bad for anything but track use but didn't see much on the other 2. And I don't see wavetrac as an option when I look for 3rd members.

2: What yoke do I need? Does this depend on whether or not I can use my factory driveshaft?

3: can I use my factory torque arm? When I looked at the rear end it seems I remember him having an aftermarket torque arm.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Justin
Hi Justin,

If You would like to discuss Your options please give Me a call (316) 299-8427. Most answers end up creating an additional question depending on Your level of rear end knowledge. This could all be sorted out in minutes on the phone.

Best of luck with Your new housing!

Thank You,
Carl
Old 01-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
Hi Justin,

If You would like to discuss Your options please give Me a call (316) 299-8427. Most answers end up creating an additional question depending on Your level of rear end knowledge. This could all be sorted out in minutes on the phone.

Best of luck with Your new housing!

Thank You,
Carl
Carl,

What time do you leave the office today? I would love to speak with you when I get off work. This is my first rear end swap so my knowledge is minimal.

Justin
Old 01-20-2017, 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bullman926
Carl,

What time do you leave the office today? I would love to speak with you when I get off work. This is my first rear end swap so my knowledge is minimal.

Justin
Justin,

I will leave here by 5:30 CST, I will have the phone forwarded to My cell so feel free to call up till 8 or 9 if You like.

Thank You,
Carl
Old 01-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
Justin,

I will leave here by 5:30 CST, I will have the phone forwarded to My cell so feel free to call up till 8 or 9 if You like.

Thank You,
Carl
Thank you sir! I will give you a call as soon as I get off work.

Justin

Quick Reply: Which chunk for fab 9"?