Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Hardwire a dash cam to the interior fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hardwire a dash cam to the interior fuse box

I always drive with a dash cam. The damn thing saved me from getting screwed over before I got my T/A. Lady ran a red light and smacked me on my side, and tried to say it was my fault! Now I have gone ahead and put the dash cam in but there is an issue. The Lighter socket is ALWAYS on in these cars. I need power going to the camera only when the car is on.

I went ahead and got one of these- http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...lighter+socket

Now all I need to do is figure out how to wire it from the fuse box. I see on the fuse chart there is an "IGN" which I assume stands for ignition, right next to fuse 13. And I see there is a "BATT" which I assume stands for battery, between fuses 14 and 15. Can these be used to power the camera? or do I have to use a share a fuse/add a fuse kit? I also got a share a fuse/add a fuse kit but I really don't want to use those because the fuse cover will no longer fit over the fuses, would have to do something about that. But any help would be great. I will keep googleing in the meantime.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Also, the bolt that is just below the fuses, is that a good ground? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedLineWS6
I always drive with a dash cam. The damn thing saved me from getting screwed over before I got my T/A. Lady ran a red light and smacked me on my side, and tried to say it was my fault! Now I have gone ahead and put the dash cam in but there is an issue. The Lighter socket is ALWAYS on in these cars. I need power going to the camera only when the car is on.

I went ahead and got one of these- http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...lighter+socket

Now all I need to do is figure out how to wire it from the fuse box. I see on the fuse chart there is an "IGN" which I assume stands for ignition, right next to fuse 13. And I see there is a "BATT" which I assume stands for battery, between fuses 14 and 15. Can these be used to power the camera? or do I have to use a share a fuse/add a fuse kit? I also got a share a fuse/add a fuse kit but I really don't want to use those because the fuse cover will no longer fit over the fuses, would have to do something about that. But any help would be great. I will keep googleing in the meantime.
You can use the IGN and BATT slots in the fuse box. They are extra slots GM put in. I use the IGN one to power my wideband. I don't think the bolt is a ground though.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Streetlegal?
You can use the IGN and BATT slots in the fuse box. They are extra slots GM put in. I use the IGN one to power my wideband. I don't think the bolt is a ground though.
Thanks, do you know what would be a good ground to connect to?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Is this the share fuse/ add fuse kit you were referring to?

It seems like theres another design that sticks straight up so if thats the one you have then you might be able to give this fuse tap a shot.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by burgundybullet
Is this the share fuse/ add fuse kit you were referring to?

It seems like theres another design that sticks straight up so if thats the one you have then you might be able to give this fuse tap a shot.
Thanks guys. And I think I found a good ground under the steering wheel behind the cover. Once the harness gets here I will let you know.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedLineWS6
Thanks, do you know what would be a good ground to connect to?
You can ground it to the main body ground which is right by the hood release. You have to take off that side panel. I grounded my wideband right on the pillar to keep it away from noise.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When I hard wired my radar detector I tapped into the TCS power (on only when key in on position) and used the ground in the center console. Works fine for me
Old 07-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Teching In

This just dawned on me so I think I should bring this up. Would you be interested in having the dash cam on for a certain period of time after the car is shut off? If you do you will have to find a source of constant 12v power to use. If I were spending money on a dash cam I would consider going this route as you never know what might happen in that 5mins you go inside of Wal-Mart to pick something up. Not sure if you wanted that or not seeing as how you stated you wanted a power source that wasn't always on. Just an idea!
Old 07-15-2014, 01:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by burgundybullet
This just dawned on me so I think I should bring this up. Would you be interested in having the dash cam on for a certain period of time after the car is shut off? If you do you will have to find a source of constant 12v power to use. If I were spending money on a dash cam I would consider going this route as you never know what might happen in that 5mins you go inside of Wal-Mart to pick something up. Not sure if you wanted that or not seeing as how you stated you wanted a power source that wasn't always on. Just an idea!
That's an option for some dash cams. Some have a shock sensor and/or motion sensor that records with the key turned off. Then some cams will turn 100% off if the voltage gets too low.

OP: My cams have three wires, ground, always on, ignition/accessory. The, "add a fuse" will not work in a late 4th gen because the fuse panel door sits right on top the of fuses, so there's no space. I want to say I have the cam grounded by the hood release, unsure about the always on wire, and the ign/acc to the radio or cigarette lighter? Its been a while since I've done it. Just get a test light and it shouldn't take more then 5 minutes to figure out where to wire it.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

Cool, great stuff guys. I do have a dash cam with its own internal battery that turns on when shocked or detects motion. The cam will record for 30 min on its battery. I also have a GPS tracker under my dash. The battery for that lasts about a year. So I think I am all set. I ordered one of these and test fitted it. http://thedashcamstore.com/dashcam-i...plug-ato-fuse/

This may sound crazy but my fuse door fits with the new harness on the panel. Not sure why it will fit the harness but not the share a fuse kit.

Now all I have to do is see if it works.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:12 AM

I want to hardwire a radar detector and a heads up display into one socket. I have a fuse sharing kit. Can I connect positive to positive, and negative to negative and hook it up to one of the fuses mentioned. is this is what someone referred to as "fuse sharing" and that space is limited, so that wouldn't work as a fit? I want both units to turn on when the key is in the start or run position. If that's that case, any other ideas?

Quick Reply: Hardwire a dash cam to the interior fuse box