Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Ls1 no start and die randomly high idle till I come to a complete stop t56

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 no start and die randomly high idle till I come to a complete stop t56

So I picked up this 99 firebird last summer started cleaning it up. Bought it dirt cheap ls1 t56 for 1500 not the cleanest thing on the planet but it ran and drive good. I thought I had that horrid lifter squeal going but ended up being my alternator. Haha don't look at me like I'm stupid because I couldn't hear for **** where it was coming from. But I had the intake and almost all of the sensors unplugged. Threw it all back together. And it was almost end of season for driving here in Minnesota then randomly my car died once or twice on me about 10-15 miles into a drive then fired up just fine. When I mean died I mean up and quit. No chug chug chug or no loss of power the thing just acted like I shut the key off. Occasionally it'll turn over and not start then after a minute or 2 of turning it over here and there it'll fire right up. Any of you guys have any thoughts? I can't find any vacuum leaks everything seems to be plugged in. Just can't figure it out. Short maybe? Also coasting in neutral it idles high until I come to a stop. Any ideas? My first ls so not very familiar with her yet
Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any codes? could be ignition relay.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Showing a code havent made it to a scanner. I will this weekend though. Don't have a lot of time sorry! I work full time and is calving season but yeah ill have an update Friday or Saturday. Looked at it a bit tonight and the pcm harness wasn't seating all the way so we will see if that helps either

Quick Reply: Ls1 no start and die randomly high idle till I come to a complete stop t56