Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

HID headlights or LEDs

Old 03-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID headlights or LEDs

Hey guys i cant seem to find any good HIDs or LEDs for my 99firebird im looking for a nice white like 6000k for my low beams and fogs if anyone has pictures or knows any PLEASE share thanks!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

The fogs are an 880 bulb, the headlights are a sealed beam unit meaning the entire lense and casing is disposable. You will have to retrofit another housing to run other bulbs either way. You will be told not to run HIDS unless you do a projector retrofit. As for the LEDs, I believe a bright enough unit puts out a lot of heat. Would likely melt your fog housing. The lowbeams even if you did a LMC conversion you won't have the space to install it. They have a deep heatsink on the back to help dissapate the heat.

Search LMC conversion to help understand that
Search for projector retrofit to get more info on that. Both of those should pop up innthe appearance section

Or buy a BLS kit
Old 03-20-2017, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

From experience with several sets of fog lights on my wife's 2011 Ford Escape (the same housings used on 2010 - 2013 Camaros, 2007 - 2013 Avalanches, 2007 - 2014 Suburbans, as well as several other vehicles), I can assure you that LED bulbs — even the 4,000-lumen versions — will not melt your plastic fog light lenses at all.

Your fog light housings are roughly the same dimensions as the versions on my wife's SUV.

The LEDs are cooled by fans that do such a good job, the plastic lens only gets very mildly warm to the touch.

However, HIDs — both 35-watt and, especially, 55-watt — will certainly cause your reflector to melt around the bulb, and will cause a large heat dimple above the bulb on the lens cover.

Additionally, the lens will get so hot, you will burn your hand and even in the cold temperatures of wintertime, and the plastic lenses will melt even while driving in rain or at freeway speeds; rainwater and high-speed airflow aren't even enough to cool them down.

I was skeptical about LED headlight bulbs and fog light bulbs, but once I tried them, there's no way that I'll go back to HIDs again. As long as you get versions that put out at least 3,000- to 4,000-lumens each, (and not the decorative ones that are inexpensive and are generally listed as "fog light and DRL use only), you'll enjoy crisp, clear light that won't blind other drivers and is a nice improvement over the quality of HID.

I've found that, with round reflectors, LEDs bulbs with diodes closest to the housing reflector put out the best quality of light.

As a final example, I originally ran HIDs in our 1999 Mercury Tracer wagon. The light output was somewhat scattered and created distracting pools of light in front of the car. When I switched to LEDs, the light was brighter — but non-blinding to on-coming traffic — and was evenly distributed across the road. My LED bulbs were approximately $50.00 for the pair, and have been one of the very best upgrades that I've made to any of my three vehicles.

Use your best judgement to determine what will work best for you and your specific application.

Have a blessed day!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I have HID's in my fogs and havnt had melting issues, granted I have no experience with LED's just what I have read on the good ole interwebs. That said the fog light housing on birds is 4" diameter which I think is much larger than the camaro housing. Maybe thas why I havnt had an issue. Im actually planning on switching to those Morrimoto LED fogs lights some time soon ( think I spelled that correctly)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

35 watt HIDs will not cause any problems in your fog lamp housings. I've been using them for years with no issues. In fact, in driving on lighted streets around town at night, I never even use my pop-ups - my fogs are used daily.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:28 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did HID in the fogs and the light spread is awful for any oncoming traffic so now I dont use them. Need to find some projectors or do the harley lights in their place.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm running Hawks HID kit for headlights and some 880 LED fogs.
Attached Thumbnails HID headlights or LEDs-img_3622.jpg  
Old 02-28-2018, 02:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ape Man
I'm running Hawks HID kit for headlights and some 880 LED fogs.
how do you like your headlights? Installed mine a couple months ago and they suck. Barely brighter than the stock halogens.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Car is in storage, so I havent driven it yet, from what I can see it has MUCH more light then factory setup
Old 02-28-2018, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

If people plan on daily driving they should be careful about "upgrading" the fogs with bright white lights. Fog lights are supposed to cut through the water and bright light just reflects back and can make it even harder to see. Real fog lights should be in the yellow end of the spectrum to help cut through the water and actually help you see what's ahead of you.

In a perfect world interior lights would be red and fog lights would be yellow.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Launching!

On my truck I had PIAA yellow fogs and they were amazingly effective really. Also had played with red/green/blue/white led in the interior and red does help avoid blindness at night. Feels like being in a submarine though is what i thought.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fbody99
Hey guys i cant seem to find any good HIDs or LEDs for my 99firebird im looking for a nice white like 6000k for my low beams and fogs if anyone has pictures or knows any PLEASE share thanks!
I ran the Hawks Stuff several years ago in a 02 firebird. Incoming Traffic hated them. Constantly getting flashed. Lots of Articles here on the issues of HID in standard bulbs. That said, you can piece the same setup together off eBay or Amazon for 1/2 the price.

Due to the flashing issues, I tried the Projection light conversation on my WS6. I am not pleased with the light distribution.

So I now have LMC Truck Lens 36-0302 showing up tomorrow. Will be installing these this weekend. You can read about it here.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...kit-birds.html

I converted all the of my '01's and '02s to HID Fog lights. oldest setup is 8 years and still working strong.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:53 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
If people plan on daily driving they should be careful about "upgrading" the fogs with bright white lights. Fog lights are supposed to cut through the water and bright light just reflects back and can make it even harder to see. Real fog lights should be in the yellow end of the spectrum to help cut through the water and actually help you see what's ahead of you.

In a perfect world interior lights would be red and fog lights would be yellow.
Which is why any bright-lighting "upgrade" is just RICE. Brighter lights don't always help with visibility and since no one ever bothers to properly set these stupid things up it just blinds everyone else in front of you. I freaking hate non-factory lights...
The following users liked this post:
Steven503 (12-20-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID headlights or LEDs