Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

cant find cold air intake info

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant find cold air intake info

I know its been on hundreds of threads here, but... I cant find it.

I want info on how to install and where to get a cold air intake.

2000 Trans AM WS6
m6
no mods

adding a 2.5" flowmaster cat back, Cold Air Intake, headers and a tune
Old 04-18-2017, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

hmm kind of a mis nomer as not many CAI actualy are sold for the fbody, volant and vararam are the only ones im familiar with.

Most just replace the lid and filter, the replacement lids bypass the air baffling located behind the factory lid and have a larger opening that connects to the maf as opposed to the ovel shape outlet of the OE lid that transfers the air to the baffle.

you should try searching for air box lids and will get more info on the subject. Blackwing being the most sought after I believe. just search ls1 air lid on google and you will get all of the options to pop up. then its just buying a less restrictive air filter (k&N whatever)

hope that helps
Old 04-18-2017, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgrand281
I know its been on hundreds of threads here, but... I cant find it.

I want info on how to install and where to get a cold air intake.

2000 Trans AM WS6
m6
no mods

adding a 2.5" flowmaster cat back, Cold Air Intake, headers and a tune
Search before you buy anything.
The CAI thing is taken care of by the above post but I gotta tell you that if you are looking for power then get a different catback. The flowmaster american thunder (80 series) muffler has actually lost power over stock mufflers on some dyno runs.
Get a 3", hooker, magnaflow, borla, corsa and TSP are all great catbacks.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I feel an oiled air filters coming in to play.

Before you purchase one, (it seems that the intakes always come with one...) are you familiar with what they do to these cars' MAF and the maintenance involved - not to the filter but to the car to clean it up?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Teching In

thanks guys
The flowmaster catback was free! A good friend wrecked his 99 camero ss and I got it from there. it has a K&N from the previous owner. I'm all for an airbox, but it seemed with the ram air hood I'd like to make the best out of it by doing an open air connection to the hood.
All I want to do is outrun new pony cars. hoping to hit 425 rwhp. I am considering intake manifold and throttle body as step 2.
google time, any more ideas or links to other threads would be great!
Old 04-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Teching In

or if anyone has links to basic bolt on upgrades that are used I'm all for it. I know it's on here but there is so much info and different threads on these topics it hard to sort.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

All I want to do is outrun new pony cars. hoping to hit 425 rwhp. I am considering intake manifold and throttle body as step 2.
Speeding is illegal in Illinois.

Plus, you must have at least 500 lbs. on the newer cars. That's gotta count for a lot.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks guys
The flowmaster catback was free! A good friend wrecked his 99 camero ss and I got it from there. it has a K&N from the previous owner.
Either sell both or throw both in the garbage.
You will not gain power from a flowmaster catback and it will hurt you in the long run if you are planing to make big power.
I'm all for an airbox, but it seemed with the ram air hood I'd like to make the best out of it by doing an open air connection to the hood.
Were talking a difference of maybe 2hp by sealing the airlid to the hood. You can do it if you want but the difference will not be noticeable. Just buy an aftermarket lid and be done with it.

google time, any more ideas or links to other threads would be great!
Bone stock you will be running with most of the newer base V8 pony cars, as a lot of them are low 13/high 12 second cars just like a stock LS1.
If you are looking to make 425rwhp then you will need at least an aftermarket cam, if not a heads/cam setup.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

or if anyone has links to basic bolt on upgrades that are used I'm all for it. I know it's on here but there is so much info and different threads on these topics it hard to sort.
check the stickies
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-posting.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-me-first.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html
Old 04-20-2017, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

"WS6" >> "Ram Air" = Factory CAI. Pontiac did not "leave much on the table" when in comes to improving this over what the factory provides:

1) Remove hood baffles (risk water ingestion in heavy down pours)
2) Seal the airbox to the hood (ala BGRA)
3) Replace the lid with any aftermarket lid that gets rid of the sound resonators
4) K&N style air filter (avoid over-oiling the filters to avoid contamination of the MAF)
5) Smooth bellows / MAF screen delete (gets that last 0.02 HP from everything else)

The aftermarket is full of "CAI systems" for LS1 f-bodies, but none of them help much over what a WS6 already comes with from the factory.

Quick Reply: cant find cold air intake info