Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

94 LT1 Trans am, inaccurate speedo reading

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 LT1 Trans am, inaccurate speedo reading

Hi my 94 trans am (headers, flowmaster muffler, msd system) is reading like 15-30 mph faster than the actual speed of the car (tested with gps and with another car) stock rims, stock tyre size, stock gears, auto trans 2.73 rear axle (already changed the cluster and got the same issue) please help
Old 04-26-2017, 07:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

You spelled tire as 'tyre' (Canada, Australia, etc..) which makes me wonder if you are in the US. It almost sounds like it is reading kilometers vs mph. 80 Kilometers per hour is about 50 mph which would explain the speed discrepancy you are experiencing. If I'm totally off base I apologize and will let someone else chime in with the mechanicals. Just want to eliminate something right off the bat. Good luck with the fix.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:04 PM
Teching In

If it was a 93, I would say you had the wrong chip in the computer. I had a 93 M6 that was off because it had an auto computer chip in it when I got it. Soon as I swapped the chip to a M6 chip it was spot on. Has anyone done any tuning on it that could have possible messed it up?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NC01TA
You spelled tire as 'tyre' (Canada, Australia, etc..) which makes me wonder if you are in the US. It almost sounds like it is reading kilometers vs mph. 80 Kilometers per hour is about 50 mph which would explain the speed discrepancy you are experiencing. If I'm totally off base I apologize and will let someone else chime in with the mechanicals. Just want to eliminate something right off the bat. Good luck with the fix.
sorry man, english its my second language, i have a mix of accents haha, my car was built in canada for the us market. the speedo reads in mph. i have almost a year with this issue dont know what to do
Old 04-26-2017, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rlcope
If it was a 93, I would say you had the wrong chip in the computer. I had a 93 M6 that was off because it had an auto computer chip in it when I got it. Soon as I swapped the chip to a M6 chip it was spot on. Has anyone done any tuning on it that could have possible messed it up?
its a 94 with the 4l60 auto trans, i got an stock untouched ecu but its the the original one, got to replace it cause of a water leak damaged the original one
Old 04-26-2017, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by franjul08
its a 94 with the 4l60 auto trans, i got an stock untouched ecu but its the the original one, got to replace it cause of a water leak damaged the original one
not the original one* sorry
Old 04-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Teching In

You may have gotten a M6 ECU. Probably need someone to hook up to it and check. I know there is a difference between the M6 and A4 speedometer signal.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you bought a new "stock" PCM, then it may not be the same gearing as yours. These cars came with different gearing, like my bro's car has 3.23 gearing but mine had 2.73. When I bought my car, the previous owner put in 3.73 gears but never Flashed the PCM for the gear change so my MPH was 20 off [70MPH actual=90MPH on the speedo]. See if you can find out what the gear ratio is from the person you bought the PCM from and if it is different than your car just have someone change your .BIN on your new PCM with your cars gearing. Chevrolet dealerships can do it by just putting your cars specific .BIN from your cars VIN number on the PCM also. Hope this helps!
Old 04-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94_LT1_TransAm
If you bought a new "stock" PCM, then it may not be the same gearing as yours. These cars came with different gearing, like my bro's car has 3.23 gearing but mine had 2.73. When I bought my car, the previous owner put in 3.73 gears but never Flashed the PCM for the gear change so my MPH was 20 off [70MPH actual=90MPH on the speedo]. See if you can find out what the gear ratio is from the person you bought the PCM from and if it is different than your car just have someone change your .BIN on your new PCM with your cars gearing. Chevrolet dealerships can do it by just putting your cars specific .BIN from your cars VIN number on the PCM also. Hope this helps!
wow big thanks i think that can be my problem, my gears are 2.73 GU2 rpo code
i pulled the ecm from a wrecked '94 z28 at a junkyard. let me see what i can do and i let you know

Quick Reply: 94 LT1 Trans am, inaccurate speedo reading