Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need some RPO help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default Need some RPO help

I know this is kind of a taboo subject but hear me out. I want to get some custom RPO door tags made. Ive had the car since I was 18 (now 34) and ive done a lot to this car.....A LOT. The factory RPO sticker really no longer represents the car. So I need some help adapting RPO's or making up some I guess.

the car was a 3.8 v6, auto, 3.42, w68 leather interior car. It is now a 414LS manual 3.70 9" trutrac, ws6 seats with air bolsters, custom interior, full aftermarket suspension, converted to TA bumpers sideskirts and spoiler (front bumper is custom) , slp HO hood. 18"s x10.5"'s all around. So im looking for ideas/ suggestions.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Just, NO.

Why?

1) The RPO decal contains your VIN, and forging it's contents could be considered illegal / fraudulent.
2) The factory RPO decal contains "anti-forging features" that makes it a PITA to remove without leaving marks.
3) There is no RPO code for a 3.70 rear or "custom aftermarket suspension" on a 4th gen f-body.
4) The RPO decal is intended to show what equipment the car was originally built with from the factory, not your current list of custom mods.

If you are concerned that someone might see the RPO decal and question the originality of your car because some codes don't match the current equipment / options installed on the car, I think its safe to say that train has left the station. Why not just remove the decal or obliterate the non-current RPO codes from it? That would be more acceptable than falsifying it.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

like I said I know its taboo but im not reproducing a sticker im wanting to have one lazer etched on stainless from emblem pros so its gonna be pretty obvious its not original and will probably be stuck over the OE sticker and will likely have some cosmetic changes to invalidate its authenticity. Id likely retain the VIN or not include it on the plate as its still present on the dash. Im not trying to pass anything off here this is something for me. as for the legality thing I wouldnt want to use any RPO that would be included on special edition vehicles or even the WS6 RPO as it doesnt apply in this case. Im pretty sure a v6 firebird thats been turned inside out is not gonna hold any value to someone who would even inspects RPO's in the unlikely event Id ever sell it. Ive held onto this long and its not my daily and doesnt eat anything. Considering you have your build number posted in your sig Im sure its something you dont understand and i get that. There are some who prefer to keep there vehicles as is from the factory and not disturb that, I respect that. Im just different about it and would never pursue a car under that category cause It wouldnt stay stock for long, and Id rather leave it for someone who appreciates it as is.

correct there is no RPO for an fbody for 3.70 gearing but there is GM RPO for 3.70 gearing (GS4) and that is the kind of info Im trying to accumulate and this is not intended to be passed off as authentic.

thanks for your input though

Last edited by blackbyrd; 05-17-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Not sure that this makes sense to me. I guess I could understand if you had built a clone car, using all GM/factory type parts just from a different model/trim level, but you have a complete custom creation so there are no RPOs for half of the items you've listed. I understand that you said to "make some up", but that seems pointless to me. If they are made up, who will even know what they mean? The entire point of the SPID sticker is to abbreviate all the vehicle options into condensed 3-digit codes for future service reference. If you have a customized vehicle and want to accurately represent it, using a bunch of made up codes isn't going to tell anyone anything about it, in fact it may even confuse them more since some of your made up codes might be actual RPOs that you didn't even know existed - and could mean some very different things than what you have designated them for.

On the other hand, you could do something like SLP did for the Y2Y optioned cars; a supplemental door decal that briefly listed the Y2Y upgrades included on that specific vehicle. If you want to see what one of these looks like, just google "Supplemental SLP door sticker" or I could post a picture or two if you wish. This is the only thing that would make any sense to me as, again, picking random 3-digit codes for things that have no code just serves no purpose at all and might even lead to more confusion if those codes happen to stand for something totally unrelated.

FWIW, your seats are not actually "WS6" seats, they were also optional on other trim levels. The RPO for these was AQ9 - Articulating Bucket Seats. And RPO Y82 was the Trans Am option, since you have most of the TA body components, but even that doesn't totally apply since you have a custom front bumper.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks I was hoping you would chime in on this. I get what you are saying about the confusion, but again this is really more for me and its not like something im going to display. Most would probably never see it honestly. I do like the idea of the supplemental door sticker. When I first go the car back together I debated doing something like this and then forgot the idea for a while and I stumbled on a thread a few months back to jarred my memory. I guess im going to have to dig to see what I can use vs what would just be confusing. Im not really wanting an RPO for the one off stuff, I was more trying to illustrate my point of how the current SPID is more of a lie than creating something that better suits the car (now) if that makes more sense. I dont really want to label it a trans am over a firebird as that's not really what it is but its not really a firebird either. If I made up some RPO's i would likely trying and come up with something that would make sense rather than just coming up with random numbers and letters and to accopmlish that they may end up being more than 3. I actually like the thought of using SR71 as something since all the badges on the car say Blackbyrd. Again I know you and I have talked before and you prefer to keep things stock/OE,so I know this seems out there and trying to make labels for things that dont exist even further confusing. I guess from my persepctive it would be things that mean something to me rather than being for someone going over the car. I actually have a Comp book that has all my notes on the wiring changes ive made, pinouts for items changed, as well as specs of items on the car so I can keep it all straight when I have to fix items.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Sounds like you've considered something similar to the SLP supplemental decal, but here's an image just to remind you of how they looked:

Name:  Supplemental%20Y2Y%20SLP%20Sticker_zpsh9c7apl5.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  49.8 KB

Doing something custom like the above, only without the SLP logos (maybe use something meaningful to/representative of you), would actually be pretty cool for a heavily modified car. I'm not necessarily against modifications, just depends on the car/purpose and what's being modified, but for something like this I'd want to make it as realistic as possible - something that you can look at and say, "that's exactly how the factory would have likely done it, if it was something they had done." In this case, the closest thing would be something like the supplemental SLP sticker pictured above, so if it were mine I'd probably try to do something alone those lines.

But I definitely understand that you have to go with something that makes YOU happy, not that meets the approval of others. Just thought I would mention this option in case it appeals to you.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I did a quick search and actually found the thread you posted that picture in. It would be much simpler to put the aftermarket mods on something like that. But I wouldnt mind adapting some of the factory options I have swapped around like the seats. and removing the ones that no longer apply (w68, y87, l36), and the one for the monsoon chrome 16" wheels. and add a few like l92 for the engine currently in the car, mn6 since it is a manual and I kind of like the idea of using the gm RPO for 3.70 gearing. It wouldnt be accurate but they also have an RPO for a dana 60 for trucks. wonder if there is one for a heavy duty rear axle. Those are more along the lines of what I had in mind vs saying its something it isnt. Thanks for the info

Last edited by blackbyrd; 05-17-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

are you looking for a master list of RPO codes and then pick n choose what RPO's apply then make up new ones?

For new ones - how about using YOUR initials since you are the one who made the special modifications? initials followed by numbers or something.

i get what your trying to do. i think its cool. makes it personal.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I think Id like to see if there are RPO's that apply then use the supplemental sticker to cover what doesnt. I thought it about but my intials are ACE so that seemed kind of odd to use.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by bleepster
are you looking for a master list of RPO codes and then pick n choose what RPO's apply then make up new ones?
Just keep in mind that many (probably most or all) RPOs have been used more than once, so if you're looking at a list you'd want to make sure it's from the era the car was built if you want any of these to be accurate where possible.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:51 AM
TECH Veteran

like ls6 and lt1.

Thanks again for the info RPM, it was really helpful im actually have some trouble identifying a few on my sticker, but I see quite a few things that can be removed from the sticker

Last edited by blackbyrd; 05-18-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

how about 2 plates? 1 titled "original stock" with the real RPO's
then a 2nd plate - reflecting your upgrades you did?

I think "ACE 01 - WS6 seats" "ACE 02 - SLP HO Hood" etc...

just another thought - list your extras in the order that you did them perhaps.

personally, i like where you are taking this.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
like ls6 and lt1.

Thanks again for the info RPM, it was really helpful im actually have some trouble identifying a few on my sticker, but I see quite a few things that can be removed from the sticker
More likely that this could backfire horribly, particularly if you make up codes.

One day, you could have a fictitious code printed on your laser-etched plate and the next day GM decides to have it represent a new diaper changing table option for the Chevy Traverse...

I appreciate the attention to detail, but would think there are a number of other pursuits where you could direct your energy in ways where the public could appreciate your efforts. (Instead of secretly tucking it away in the door where it will never see the light of day.)
Old 05-18-2017, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

To me it's more the finishing touch. Difference in perspective I guess, Car has a lot of sentimental value to me and I've gone as far with it as I want. Like a few others on this site you get to a point where you want to do things that are out of the mainstream of mods and not everyone is going to like it and that's okay.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
To me it's more the finishing touch. Difference in perspective I guess, Car has a lot of sentimental value to me and I've gone as far with it as I want. Like a few others on this site you get to a point where you want to do things that are out of the mainstream of mods and not everyone is going to like it and that's okay.
It's just a matter of locating the correct company that will create the documentation for you...it can be done and it is done.

Has anyone ever looked on eBay for all the odometer adjusting equipment?

It sucks, but It's all there...

BTW, I understand and respect what you are trying to do!

Last edited by bgw70; 05-20-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Hahaha I don't even have the OE cluster anymore. Odometer started over with the engine and drivetrain.

I get both sides of the conversation I do, I also new there wouldn't be much support for the idea either and that's fine.

Quick Reply: Need some RPO help