Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

3rd ls swap or 4th gen ws6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3rd ls swap or 4th gen ws6?

Hi, I'm a little torn on what I want to do and wanted some other opinions
I have a 91 trans am gta that I was thinking about ls swapping and all and all seems like the cost would be around 5k (currently have a little less 4k in the car and it runs fine although needs a spoiler and paintjob) so in total I'd have about 9k or 10k in the car all said and done after the swap and paint job but after a little looking around it seems like i can but a pretty decent 98-02 ws6 trans am for around the same price. I like the look of both cars (although like the look of the 3rd gen a little more) but it seems that 4th gens are better built and theres more aftermarket available for cheaper.
Ultimately i just want some opinions on which one ya'll think would be a better idea because I'm so torn it's not even funny. Thanks guys
Old 06-09-2017, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I've owned plenty of third and fourth generation cars. While the 4th generation cars have more rigid bodies, it honestly doesn't matter. Throw on some sub-frame connectors, strut tower brace, and a wonder bar on your third gen and it will feel similar. Personally, I think the 3rd generation cars handle better when the suspension is refreshed. The cars are lighter and feel more nimble than their fourth generation counterparts do.

That said, the 4th generation cars are an absolute power house in that it doesn't take much to get them to keep pace with more modern muscle cars like the new Mustang, Challenger and Camaro. Of course an LSx swap will give you the best of both worlds. Some fourth generation parts, a lot of them in fact work on third generation cars. The aftermarket exists for both. Working on either car is more or less the same with the third generation having an advantage in the engine bay as the engine isn't buried under the dash.

Really, this will come down to preference for the body style.

Quick Reply: 3rd ls swap or 4th gen ws6?