Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1994 Formula restore NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Formula restore NEED HELP!!

Hello everyone.

I'm currently restoring my 1994 formula LT1. I wasstationed overseas for 4 years and it sat in my parents yard in Texas. Shelooked pretty rough when I got back, so I tore into her and replaced quite abit of stuff. I'm not a mechanic, so I'm learning as I go.
I barely got it to start up when I got back, but nowshe's running, but with issues. Maybe someone on here has ran into the sameproblem and can help me out.
-The water pump leaks coolant when it warms up.
-The fans wont kick on until it gets close to overheating, but when they did (once) they sounded awful. They did bring the tempdown, but the sound made me want to kill the engine.

- I bought C6 rims for it (19 rear and 18 front) and the passenger side rearwheel rubs on top by the edge of the fender well. I took it around the block when I got her running and the tire The guy that had it before meput lowering spring on. Everything is stock except for the springs.

Just looking for some advice on these issues and possible upgrades. I appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails 1994 Formula restore NEED HELP!!-img_1377.jpg   1994 Formula restore NEED HELP!!-img_1374.jpg   1994 Formula restore NEED HELP!!-img_1372.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to state the obvious but it sounds like you need a new water pump and engine fans.

It could just be the gasket on the water pump, but if you're going to replace the gasket you might as well change the pump, they are pretty cheap. Also, make sure you bleed the cooling system really well when you are done...and cover the Opti as well as you can to keep it dry during the job.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:48 PM
Teching In

I was worried about that for the fans, because they are not cheap. I was hoping that maybe it was because they hadn't ran for a couple years and just working out the kinks...

The water pump however is brand new. I messed up one of the gaskets when I put it on the first time. After installing it and bleeding the system it leaked coolant everywhere. Needless to say I took it off again and put a new gasket on carefully, bleed the system and all seemed well. Started up the motor and got it to running temp and it started leaking again. A lot slower but still a leak. Once the motor is off and cooled down, the leak stops pretty quick.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

You need an adjustable panhard bar to fix the rear. Common on these cars, especially when lowered and/or larger wheels. It allows you to center the axle side to side. Lots of vendors on here selling them.

You've gotta take that water pump off again and put it on correctly. You can't have leaks man. Use something like this along with the gasket http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glu...170620182521:s or just red permatex is probably fine.

Not an LT1 guy but Iknow that you can buy used LS1 fans on here pretty cheap. I bought a used setup off of a member here and put it on my pickup. Running strong years later.

You're a youngin I take it, you bought new rims and tires before the car even ran. Keep at it, good luck.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you are using a gasket sealer...outside of a defect with the seal surface, might be user error.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
You need an adjustable panhard bar to fix the rear. Common on these cars, especially when lowered and/or larger wheels. It allows you to center the axle side to side. Lots of vendors on here selling them.

You've gotta take that water pump off again and put it on correctly. You can't have leaks man. Use something like this along with the gasket http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glu...170620182521:s or just red permatex is probably fine.

Not an LT1 guy but Iknow that you can buy used LS1 fans on here pretty cheap. I bought a used setup off of a member here and put it on my pickup. Running strong years later.

You're a youngin I take it, you bought new rims and tires before the car even ran. Keep at it, good luck.
I may have jumped the gun on the rims, but everything I read online about C6 rims, said they would fit. The rims that wear on it were corroded to the point of no return from sitting in the elements and the tires were completely dry rotted.

I'll definitely take the water pump off and try again. I'm hoping its just user error with the gasket. Third times the charm...

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Where is the water pump leaking from? If it's from the weep hole on the bottom, it needs to be replaced. If it's where it meets the block, did you use thread sealant on the bolts? They go into the water jacket and will leak if you don't seal them.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

get an adjustable panhard bar , they should be around 100 bucks

umi performance
strano
spohn
bmr
midwest chassis

check out those places . oh you know what , i have a friend who has a brand new black adjustable panhard bar . he would probably do like 80 bucks shipped for it unless its chromoly . but if your interested i remember he still has it .

pm me if you want it
Old 06-24-2017, 09:53 AM

I'll just repeat what's been said - make sure the water pump is installed properly and has no leaks.

Make this a big priority. Hell, go and take the car to a shop and spend some extra cash to make sure it's done right if needed.

The reason why, is that it's stupidly easy to screw up the optispark with leaks. The factory one's are fidgety as it is, you don't want to add more risk factors.

I've lost a few optisparks because of leaks. And it wasn't until I made absolutely sure a new water pump was installed by a professional as well as installing an aftermarket, high quality MSD optispark that I've gotten rid of that issue.

It's one of the biggest issues with these engines and it can end up costing you a **** ton of money if you're not careful.

Quick Reply: 1994 Formula restore NEED HELP!!