Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Small door lock switch question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Small door lock switch question

I have a 99 T/A, here is the thing. The door actuator works when I use the unlock/lock on the key fob, works when I use the unlock/lock switch on the drivers side. When I use the passangers side unlock/lock switch it does not lock/unlock, as a matter of fact once I use the passangers switch it causes it to bob and not lock/unlock from any where. I noticed that when I unplug the passangers door lock switch and plug it back in everything works as is UNTIL I hit that switch again. At first I thought it was the actuator but now I'm leaning towards the switch, what y'all think?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It's a mechanical switch, so unplugging it and then plugging it back in shouldn't do anything unless the act of doing that unjams things in the switch.

You should be able to set up an account with Autozone.com to get to the official GM electrical schematics for the car, unplug the switch, and then test it with a continuity tester to confirm if its bad or not.

Normally, I'd say swap the left and right switches, but the bezels get brittle as they age and the act of going this would increase the risk of breaking your bezels - much more expensive than a new switch.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

I bought a whole new assembly with bezel for $10 shipped, anyways I un plugged it and used all other switches and the lock worked as expected. I'm wondering if the switch is leaving something open or sticking open internally. The new part should be here soon so I'll update on that.

Thanks wssix99 for the info!
Old 07-13-2017, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ballfroguy
I bought a whole new assembly with bezel for $10 shipped, anyways I un plugged it and used all other switches and the lock worked as expected. I'm wondering if the switch is leaving something open or sticking open internally. The new part should be here soon so I'll update on that.

Thanks wssix99 for the info!
Strangely enough, my 1999 TA is having the identical issue. Passenger door will lock/unlock with fob, but not with passenger side switch. Ballfroguy, can you confirm which switch you purchased, and I will order one too (part # would be great). Thanks!
Old 07-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wu6fiend
Strangely enough, my 1999 TA is having the identical issue. Passenger door will lock/unlock with fob, but not with passenger side switch. Ballfroguy, can you confirm which switch you purchased, and I will order one too (part # would be great). Thanks!

So I replaced the bezel and both switches just bc it was $10 to do it, that fixed it. Go on eBay and buy a whole bezel with buttons, I have seen some for $20. I guess that button was bad, not sure how but it was. All buttons and passanger locks work perfect.

Quick Reply: Small door lock switch question