Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Actual value of WS6 vs. Firehawk???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actual value of WS6 vs. Firehawk???

Ok.....well my G35 was totaled and now im looking to get back in the f-body scene again. My question is where do i look to get an actual value for both of these? Im looking at an 02 firehawk m6 w 25k miles and they are asking 21k.........and an 02 WS6 m6 w 57k miles for asking price of 13k. I have looked on nada and there is no "collector edition" and on kbb their is no difference in value from WS6 to Firehawk? Is the firehawks value mostly in the owners eyes? I know they are numbered and all but where can I find where the firhawks true value? Thanks........and I have used the search and have not found an answer.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:20 PM

personaly id give him 5k more over the other car ... I wanted to order a vert firehawk but it was alot more than the 99 SS vert that I ordered.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

ive had good luck with nadaguides.com

check there.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Should be able to find a WS6 with those miles for less, and that Firehawk is also to high. I would value a Firehawk a good 3-4k more than a WS6 in the same condition and same miles, but that's mostly because I MUCH prefer the Firehawk hood to the ugly WS6 hoods.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Firehawks were always more exclusive then WS6's. Formula Hawk's are quite rare because once the Firehawk Pkg was made available on the Trans Am (In 1999) everyone wanted one.
But a Formula WS6 is even more sought after because they were only made from `96-00.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

An '02 Firehawk with 25,000 'one or two owner' miles is worth close to that asking price unless it was heavily modded and run hard which would hurt the 'collector' value. Right now if the Firehawk is 'like new' there is a nice little premium associated with those low miles and collector potential. That is what you are paying for. Maybe the Firehawk could be had for $18,000 or $19,000 with cashier's check in hand?? No harm in trying. That would be a nice ride. The 57,000 miles on that WS6 is not a fair comparison for pricing. If it was also a 25k miles 'excellent condition' car it would be a real steal for $13,000. Good luck with your search.

** By the way, KBB does not list exclusive low number production models in many instances. Firehawk is an example of this. Not enough sales data to produce a realistic value, especially with many examples being owned as 'collectors' with very low mileage. A WS6 is common compared to Firehawks. In 2001 and 2002 there were actually more WS6 convertibles built than regular T/A convertibles.

Last edited by NC01TA; 01-24-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

I just saw an '01 SOM Trans Am Convertible Firehawk M6 with only 40k miles for only $14,999. Car was in TX with a clean Carfax. I checked and there were only 14 made in this combo for this year.
IMO that is a steal for that car. The Firehawks will always bring a little more than a WS6, you just have to ask yourself it is worth it or not to you. I would buy a Firehawk more for a Collector Car vs a WS6.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Name:  0014gr0b.gif
Views: 3137
Size:  2.69 MB
Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Come on now. Firehawks are only asking for a premium because the guys who bought them got ripped off. Limited number for a hood and wheels? No.

Around the country, WS6 cars are going for different values. Around NJ/NY, they are about 12-13k realistically, but going west they are 10k or less for the same mileage. I would buy what you feel is right, but I wouldn't spend upwards for 15k for a 10+ year old car.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fort both those, especially the hawk imo.

I wouldn't pay but around 2k MAX more for a hawk myself. I mod all of my cars though.

I wouldn't spend over 10-12k for a stock fbody either regardless of condition or miles.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1W66
Firehawks were always more exclusive then WS6's. Formula Hawk's are quite rare because once the Firehawk Pkg was made available on the Trans Am (In 1999) everyone wanted one.
But a Formula WS6 is even more sought after because they were only made from `96-00.

I would think the T/A Firehawk would be more sought after since they only made them from 99-02 like you said compared to 96-00..

Originally Posted by 1966goat
Come on now. Firehawks are only asking for a premium because the guys who bought them got ripped off. Limited number for a hood and wheels? No.
You could say the same for a WS6 as well if thats the way you think..
Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Teching In

i have both a ws6 and a firehawk believe it or not i paid the same for my ws6 as i did the firehawk and my hawk has less miles and in my opinion looks better, just look for the best deals man
Old 01-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Teching In

TitanWS6 - I checked out the SOM firehawk here in Houston, very clean ride. I recommended it in the "what's it worth" section and response was "too much". I think it could sell for $18k to the right person.

I think the firehawks deserve a higher price and will be worth a pretty penny if you keep the miles low, but if you're planning on mods and miles, then spend less with a WS6 and get on the road!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThreeFiveSS
TitanWS6 - I checked out the SOM firehawk here in Houston, very clean ride. I recommended it in the "what's it worth" section and response was "too much". I think it could sell for $18k to the right person.

I think the firehawks deserve a higher price and will be worth a pretty penny if you keep the miles low, but if you're planning on mods and miles, then spend less with a WS6 and get on the road!
X2 . Yeah, keep it stockish and it's worth a fair price. Hell some don't even care if it's stock, they just want the hood and nameplate. I just saw one (with hardly any miles) go for $33,000 in the Barrett Jackson. That's damn good imo. I think it was in the scottsdale 2011 edition of the show.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=403&pop=1

*keep in mind the listed price is NOT what the car sold for at the auction. The official sale price (before fees and taxes) was $33,000 at the auction and was shown on public t.v. Maybe if anyone has the clip, or finds it..they will post it up?

Also fwiw, the Firehawks came with catbacks (slp dual/dual ota cb) and sometimes lids as well (blackwing lid for '02 models). Firehawks just look badass imo and could be ordered with a few good suspension pieces. They didn't have the "gape" of the ws6 with its oh-so-effective quad nostrilled "ram air" however, lol. Jokin'. I would have taken whatever ls1 fbody I could have found for the right price. I happened to find this one and so I jumped on it. They are nice, and so are SS cars, it just depends whether you want to spend the extra for a tad bit more exclusivity. I happen to really love them so it's a no-brainer for me, but like I said it is not a deal maker or breaker for me.

Last edited by oddwraith; 01-28-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeFiveSS

I just looked up your post. I didn't see any responses that said it was too much. Please explain.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

I think the Firehawk is high at $21K even with only 25K miles but the WS6 with 57K miles is priced good at $13K. From what I saw over the summer the prices of WS6 cars varies alot by year also, with 01-02 cars bringing the most money, 98's the least, and 99-00 being in my opinion the best values. This is not to knock any year car or say that any one is better than the other and of course the year may not matter to you, but to me it was important to get the better electronics and having an LS6 intake from the factory was a nice touch. Plus I wanted SOM and speedlines which means a late 01 or 02 model.

I also looked at that 2002 SOM Firehawk vert 6 speed with camel interior and at $15K with 40K miles I think thats a steal. I really like that car though the ragtop doesnt work for me but I think thats going to be a highly collectable car in years to come. I didnt think it would stay for sale as long as it has.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Got my '01 m6 Firehawk from a dealership in TX a year ago. one owner, stock, very good, not great, condition, 34K miles for $17K.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple things.
1) Is this your daily driver?
2) Do you plan on modding the car?

If the answer is YES to both, then get the WS6.
You should be able to get the WS6 for at least $12,500.

Finally what is the car worth to you? Use the advice and input from other people, but don't make that the only parameters on how much the car is worth.

I bought my 02' WS6 bone stock last year with 80k miles for 13k, because it was a one owner car, it was 100 percent stock, and was in mint condition. People actually were telling me no F-Body with that mileage is worth 13k, but at the time the Kelley Blue Book was close to 13k. A lot of people forget how rare these cars are, yet alone bone stock in mint condition.

I searched for 6 months religiously to find a mint m6 original Ws6 car out here in California.
There were a bunch of Autos at the time, but in the end, banging the gears on the way back home was priceless.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
Couple things.
1) Is this your daily driver?
2) Do you plan on modding the car?

If the answer is YES to both, then get the WS6.
You should be able to get the WS6 for at least $12,500.

Finally what is the car worth to you? Use the advice and input from other people, but don't make that the only parameters on how much the car is worth.

I bought my 02' WS6 bone stock last year with 80k miles for 13k, because it was a one owner car, it was 100 percent stock, and was in mint condition. People actually were telling me no F-Body with that mileage is worth 13k, but at the time the Kelley Blue Book was close to 13k. A lot of people forget how rare these cars are, yet alone bone stock in mint condition.

I searched for 6 months religiously to find a mint m6 original Ws6 car out here in California.
There were a bunch of Autos at the time, but in the end, banging the gears on the way back home was priceless.
I daily drive my hawk and it was bone stock with 55,000 miles when I got it. One owner before me and only paid 13,900. However, I needed to swap out the hawk rims as they were in bad shape. A car is only worth what someone will pay for it, imo.

This car didn't have the m6 like my last one, but my this one had the ttops, leather, and hawk package which, my other one did not. The auto turned out to be a nice change actually. Now I'm looking for a built auto with stall.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1998silverbird
I would think the T/A Firehawk would be more sought after since they only made them from 99-02 like you said compared to 96-00..

You could say the same for a WS6 as well if thats the way you think..
They started Firehawks in 1992. I *think* ram air packaged 4th gens started in 1996. Rarity is a set thing. Collector value is a subjective thing. While some of us would not put much value into a Duster with a 340 in it, some one else might. The question is what is a Firehawk worth to you vs what a WS6 car is worth to you. Keep in mind that the 01-02 WS6 cars were little more than a different hood bolted to a Trans-Am and that they sold more WS6 cars in 01-02 than they sold regular Trans-Ams those years.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/1740880-post2.html

Good luck and remember a ls1 is a ls1. Just because someone bucked up for a Firehawk or WS6 or SS it likely dynos and runs like a Z-28 or Formula or Trans-Am. So buy what gets you closer to what you want and if you modify it then what stock suspension and exhaust is on it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: Actual value of WS6 vs. Firehawk???