Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

My girlfriend's 2002 Collector Edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Number Tew
I will research these but I am starting to think we may need to get it tuned to be on the safer side of things.
I would chase down the P0133 first. (Double check your new O2 sensors are the right part, also.) The P0133 should be an acute thing and the conditions around it can lead to the other codes. (The other codes can be caused by a long list of other issues, as well - they are more generic, so do them last.)
Old 10-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope the car didn't get water damage....I can tell the clean up on the side street.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyual777
I ordered my '02 WS6 brand new way back in the summer of 2001. I've never had a driver's side window problem until about a month ago. I started having trouble getting the window up. Just like the common passenger side problem.

I read all about the new, improved design window motors that were made for about a year. Now, they're not made any more and the replacements are back to the old design. Sooooooo, I decided to check eBay. I scored a pair of the new, improved design from two different sellers. You might want to check eBay to see if you can find the improved motors. Look very carefully at the pictures to be sure that you're getting the improved motors and not the ones that you can pick up at any Advanced Auto Parts or Autozone. Good luck.
I think for now we will just grin and bear the old design with lifetime replacement. (Which has got to be mighty costly for Dorman) But thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by wssix99
I would chase down the P0133 first. (Double check your new O2 sensors are the right part, also.) The P0133 should be an acute thing and the conditions around it can lead to the other codes. (The other codes can be caused by a long list of other issues, as well - they are more generic, so do them last.)
Alright, so the sensors we bought were the Denso 234-4025 which should be compatible as downstream sensors and upstream. From what I have read the common fix for this issue is to put downstream sensors in the upstreams if you have longtubes because they have better heaters. So, do you have any takes on that? We don't have an AFR gauge and I do not want to risk the car running poorly or blowing with her driving it. It doesn't seem to be running poorly though, but lean codes always make me nervous, especially if I can't find a vacuum leak to easily explain it away.

Originally Posted by WBO_COTTO
I hope the car didn't get water damage....I can tell the clean up on the side street.
From what we understand it went through the storm tucked away safely in a nice big garage. So, Irma should not have given it any trouble
Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 PM
Save the manuals!

Alright, so the sensors we bought were the Denso 234-4025 which should be compatible as downstream sensors and upstream. From what I have read the common fix for this issue is to put downstream sensors in the upstreams if you have longtubes because they have better heaters. So, do you have any takes on that?
I don't have any experience with these, but you may try asking the folks in one of the long tube Denso threads.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

I don't have any experience with these, but you may try asking the folks in one of the long tube Denso threads.

I will be researching a bit more but I think that is my next play.

What sensors do you run?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:42 AM
Save the manuals!

I will be researching a bit more but I think that is my next play.

What sensors do you run?
I use Delco sensors in that application because back in the day, (Over 10 years ago.) there were problems with Densos and others. I understand that those issues may have been resolved, since.

^ I wouldn't assume you have sensor issues off the bat, here, particularly since you had an earlier problem with melted wires. (I'd look for more wiring issues first.)

BTW - As you get into this non-Ford car, beware that a single nameplate won't work for all parts/sensors. In some cases, a GM part MAY NOT be the same thing as an AC Delco part. (It might be, though.) GM/AC Delco also does not always mean the highest quality part. (This site can help you sort through those things; the latest with the door window motors is a great example.)
Old 10-16-2017, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

I use Delco sensors in that application because back in the day, (Over 10 years ago.) there were problems with Densos and others. I understand that those issues may have been resolved, since.

^ I wouldn't assume you have sensor issues off the bat, here, particularly since you had an earlier problem with melted wires. (I'd look for more wiring issues first.)

BTW - As you get into this non-Ford car, beware that a single nameplate won't work for all parts/sensors. In some cases, a GM part MAY NOT be the same thing as an AC Delco part. (It might be, though.) GM/AC Delco also does not always mean the highest quality part. (This site can help you sort through those things; the latest with the door window motors is a great example.)
I said earlier that none of the wires appeared burned through or anything. I have yet to find any melted wires so far, thankfully!

That is a bit frustrating, with Ford you are pretty much safe going with Motorcraft everything, especially when it comes to sensors, etc. But, as you mentioned, there are plenty who have tread that ground before me!

What I have seen several suggest is to shut off the P0133 code entirely. I don't know how much I like that though. We will probably be getting it dyno tuned soon just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:11 PM
Save the manuals!

That is a bit frustrating, with Ford you are pretty much safe going with Motorcraft everything, especially when it comes to sensors, etc. But, as you mentioned, there are plenty who have tread that ground before me!
I recall that GM had to spin off their parts business interests in an effort to stave off bankruptcy. (Which eventually, didn't work...) They went independent and things scattered. I recall Ford didn't have these issues.

What I have seen several suggest is to shut off the P0133 code entirely. I don't know how much I like that though. We will probably be getting it dyno tuned soon just to be on the safe side.
If you haven't had a tune before, this is all a symptom of a mechanical or electrical problem, which should be fixed. (Tuning it out, will just mask a problem.) If the car has been tuned (and made non-stock) before, then that's a different situation.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a CETA convertible with 16k miles. My question is why do they use different rear spoilers between the coupe and the convertible.
Attached Thumbnails My girlfriend's 2002 Collector Edition-ta1.jpg  
Old 10-19-2017, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

I recall that GM had to spin off their parts business interests in an effort to stave off bankruptcy. (Which eventually, didn't work...) They went independent and things scattered. I recall Ford didn't have these issues.

If you haven't had a tune before, this is all a symptom of a mechanical or electrical problem, which should be fixed. (Tuning it out, will just mask a problem.) If the car has been tuned (and made non-stock) before, then that's a different situation.
Well that certainly makes sense.

On the note of tuning, it has definitely had some sort of programming done, since it does not throw codes for not having rear O2 sensors. If we measured AFR and I knew it wasn't actually leaning out I would feel much better about driving it, but right now I am a bit nervous. I really don't want to mess it up.

Originally Posted by timrod
I just bought a CETA convertible with 16k miles. My question is why do they use different rear spoilers between the coupe and the convertible.
I wish I knew. I am likely just as green on the topic as you are.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:49 AM
Save the manuals!

All convertibles (regardless of other packages) came with the low spoiler because the trunk is different on convertible cars. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontia...ebird_Trans_Am
Old 10-19-2017, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

did you check if there are any vac/pcv leaks?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

All convertibles (regardless of other packages) came with the low spoiler because the trunk is different on convertible cars. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontia...ebird_Trans_Am
Thanks!

Originally Posted by fst100
did you check if there are any vac/pcv leaks?
Yes I did a smoke test on it and did not see any leaks anywhere. A friend suggested that because it sat the injectors may be clogged up and not spraying. So we will probably try to burn through some more gas and run an injector cleaner. I did put seafoam in the gas already. If that doesn't help I will probably pull the injectors and clean them on a bench.

Also, window motor came in! We might try to do that this weekend (though I work at night so we may not get around to it, we'll see)
Old 10-29-2017, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Good find, good looking ride dude.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6 #3392
Good find, good looking ride dude.
I appreciate it!

We still haven't gotten it sorted out yet. Been a little busy. Sigh.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Future plans:

Probably keeping it mostly stock because it is the collector’s edition, but we can play that by ear.
At 125k it has lost any collector value. Mod it how you want and enjoy it!
Old 11-14-2017, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

I sort of feel the same way. Ordered a set of MSD coils last night after much deliberation. Some people will argue that they are no good and I need AC Delco. But, it's worth a shot. Hopefully this will put a nail in the low rpm misfire. I bet the Dorman coils that are on it are failing.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum and sweet car. Im just west of you on state road 50, maybe ill see yall sometime. Ill be following the thread.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Please, for the love of God return those MSD coils. Enormous waste of money. Buy a set of used factory ones.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Check the resistance on the MSD wires,, I've had too many sets of them crap out right out of the box, I use Taylor/Vertex 8MM or 10MM and have never gotten a bad set and they are about 1/3 the price.. YMMV.. I'd lean towards fuel not spark as the problem since its lean.

Also, check the fuel filter, if the car sat there can be a lot of crud in the tank and lines from condensation and old fuel. I typically drain the tank on a used car and fill it with ethanol free and a can of seafoam. Also check the part number on your injectors, I've bought 2 cars that had the wrong injectors because the PO fancied himself a "tuner"and the fuel numbers were just way out of wack..

Quick Reply: My girlfriend's 2002 Collector Edition