Hi beam switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:39 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Hi beam switch

Fellow bird people,

I tried to pull on my turn signal stalk to turn on the hi beams only to get a flopping sensation from the lever. When I had the chance to look at the turn signal lever I saw that there is a J shaped rod that obviously pulls the hi beams on and off. Only thing I can't figure out is how the turn signal lever is supposed to interact with that J shaped rod since it's too far away . Am I missing a part? Here's a picture of what I saw:

Name:  WtUTkmV.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  57.6 KB

Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance...
Old 01-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You took off the part that interacts with that actuating rod. It's the High Beam Follower. Check out Page 25 of this document and read on: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ld.pdf#page=25

The follower rides on part of the ignition mechanism and there is a "finger" on the backside of the wiper/multifunction switch, which contacts and actuates that.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:03 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the response. That part that you are talking about, which looked like a cover for that area, was already on when I had the problem. I assumed there was some other piece that must have broken off. So replace that cover piece and go from there?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Ah - yes. It's called a "High Beam Follower" and it is held captive and does slide inside that cover. So, you'll want to make sure the follower is intact, the cover is intact, and that the two are lubed with white lithium grease. One of our other members has a thread here where one of those pieces broke and made things floppy. So, you may need to replace that follower or the cover.

I'd do the following things first:
- Make sure the metal rod works properly by itself before you put the column back together
- Make sure the hook/finger on the back of the multi-function wiper switch is intact.

Instead of that .pdf, check out this thread and search for "follower". There are extremely detailed instructions on the part and how to put it all back together. http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020-3.html
Old 01-16-2018, 05:11 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
Ah - yes. It's called a "High Beam Follower" and it is held captive and does slide inside that cover. So, you'll want to make sure the follower is intact, the cover is intact, and that the two are lubed with white lithium grease. One of our other members has a thread here where one of those pieces broke and made things floppy. So, you may need to replace that follower or the cover.

I'd do the following things first:
- Make sure the metal rod works properly by itself before you put the column back together
- Make sure the hook/finger on the back of the multi-function wiper switch is intact.

Instead of that .pdf, check out this thread and search for "follower". There are extremely detailed instructions on the part and how to put it all back together. http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020-3.html
Thanks for the response. I checked the metal rod and it works fine, properly activating the high beams. I'm pretty sure the high beam follower is missing though. How that part disappeared is a mystery to me; I've had the car for 12 years and it worked fine until recently. I'll have to buy that follower but I don't see it on eBay or anything. Suggestions? Thanks again...
Old 01-19-2018, 10:42 PM
Save the manuals!

I think you'd have to find a specialty retailer to get the follower. (I recall that we had another member here who had problems finding them.)

There are tons of used ones on eBay for sale under Highbeam Follower or Highbeam Contactor. Just about anyone from any older GM column should fit.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:26 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
I think you'd have to find a specialty retailer to get the follower. (I recall that we had another member here who had problems finding them.)

There are tons of used ones on eBay for sale under Highbeam Follower or Highbeam Contactor. Just about anyone from any older GM column should fit.
yes, once I used the word high beam follower I found the part easily enough.

well, I got the follower installed but I have no idea how I did it. It's not as if you can see what you're doing so I just kept pushing the follower around inside of the column until it settled and actuated the high beam rod. What a pain in the a@@, but at least I have high beams again. Thanks to all...

Quick Reply: Hi beam switch