Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

'02 Trans Am Tail Light is Dark

Old 01-23-2018, 07:31 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '02 Trans Am Tail Light is Dark

Does anyone know how to fix a dark tail light? It's not a tint, it is like it's not as reflective as the other tail light. New tail lights online cost about $300+, so I'm hoping to avoid that. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

its a process. you have to take the tail light lens completely apart , repaint the chrome reflective piece inside, put back together and reinstall.

there is a write up on it - search and you should find it. i'll try looking too.

I had the same issue. i found 2 used tail lights for my '02 bird for $250 - they were mint. that is how i fixed mine. i then sold my old used ones, clearly showing the darker driver side tail light and got $150 for the used pair. - so it cost me $100
Old 01-24-2018, 02:23 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherDeadCylinder
Does anyone know how to fix a dark tail light? It's not a tint, it is like it's not as reflective as the other tail light. New tail lights online cost about $300+, so I'm hoping to avoid that. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.
yeah I've gone through two pairs of used lights trying to keep it bright back there. The light becomes dim because moisture seeps into the housing and somehow taints the reflective material of the housing. What I'm trying for my current pair is drilling a few holes in the bottom of the housing so moisture or water from rain or whatever can drain instead of pooling inside of the housing and ruining the insides...
Old 01-28-2018, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherDeadCylinder
Originally Posted by myk
yeah I've gone through two pairs of used lights trying to keep it bright back there. The light becomes dim because moisture seeps into the housing and somehow taints the reflective material of the housing. What I'm trying for my current pair is drilling a few holes in the bottom of the housing so moisture or water from rain or whatever can drain instead of pooling inside of the housing and ruining the insides...

Once the chrome reflective coating is gone, no holes in the bottom will fix this. I have 2, sold 2 4th gen Firebirds/TAs.

1. Find a good pair, then run a bead of silicone (I am using black) around the case to protect it in the future. Also you want to make sure all your bulb grommets are in good shape.

2. You can rebuild them. There are several write ups already posted, Sadly most the authors have let their Photobucket accounts expire or removed the pictures. It is not a hard processes, just takes 4-6 hours, and maybe $20-30 in parts.

I am hitting the junkyard in a week or 2, looking for another set that I can put in my daughters Ver't. Rebuild those, insert, then rebuild hers has a back up.

I am also going to see if I can polish out the Honeycomb from the inside.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f36/how-re...rd-ws6-163800/

Last edited by MikadoWu; 01-28-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input everyone, and for the link. Looks like I'm getting a heat gun!
Old 01-31-2018, 01:34 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MikadoWu
Once the chrome reflective coating is gone, no holes in the bottom will fix this. I have 2, sold 2 4th gen Firebirds/TAs.
I know that. I've drilled holes in my CURRENT set of lights that have not darkened yet as a preventative measure. I think silicone beading the housings is a waste of time. There are way too many ways for water to get into these old housings that were never meant to be useful for more than a few years...
Old 02-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drill small holes in the bottom so the moisture/water can escape and not cause any further darkening to the new ones, I've seen this too many times. Best of luck
Old 01-27-2023, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Since this thread came back to life, I am interested in putting LED bulbs in my tail lights and third brake light. Does the issue with cruise control only apply to the third brake light and not the tail lights? My plan is to buy a nice LED third brake light and install a resistor from whitebird00s diagram.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:57 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

From what I've seen, only the CHMSL (third brake light) affects cruise control. The other tail lights will impact turn signal flashing - an issue that's easy to fix by using an LED flasher in place of the factory one. Replacing the CHMSL bulbs with LEDs will usually require adding a load resistor to keep the cruise control working. If you do that, be careful where you put the resistor because it will get pretty hot while you have the brakes applied. A replacement lamp (as opposed to just bulbs) may or may not have that problem because they often come with the necessary resistance built in, so they are plug-and-play.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Thank you whitebird00. Exactly the information I was looking for. I have an LED flasher from when you helped me with my front sequential turn signals. I reached out to the seller to see if the unit has a draw so the cruise control is not affected. Unfortunately, he has no idea. Is there any way for me to tell? If I do have to put the resistor is there a certain spot that's better on a convertible?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20409934596...mis&media=COPY

Last edited by Carguy8888; 01-28-2023 at 06:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '02 Trans Am Tail Light is Dark