Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Water Pump fit issue: 1975 Firebird, 6 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump fit issue: 1975 Firebird, 6 cylinder

Hey fellow Firebird nerds!

I own a 1975 Firebird, 6 cylinder base model, with dealer-installed AC (which I guess qualifies as “aftermarket”?)

Anyway, my car is currently undergoing a head gasket replacement, and the mechanic wants to replace the ancient (presumably original) water pump on the car, but he is having problems getting a replacement water pump to fit properly.
Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

(I mentioned the aftermarket AC on the car in this post in case that has any bearing on which type of water pump was on the car originally, and if that would affect the type of replacement pump that would properly fit on it.)

The mechanic ordered a reproduction replacement water pump from a GM dealer, but this part is having problems fitting, as it is shaped slightly differently than the original water pump, causing it to rub too closely to the timing chain cover on the engine (they observed this fit problem when they tried to install the new water pump).I’ve enclosed photos of the original water pump vs. the new water pump.

The original water pump has the numbers “X025” and “30454” on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a rebuilt original water pump that will fit exactly the same as the original one pictured?

And if not, are there any workarounds to solve this problem? Not sure if the parts I could order from Classic Industries, etc would have the same issue.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Water Pump fit issue: 1975 Firebird, 6 cylinder-dkch1368.jpg   Water Pump fit issue: 1975 Firebird, 6 cylinder-small1.jpg   Water Pump fit issue: 1975 Firebird, 6 cylinder-small2.jpg   Water Pump fit issue: 1975 Firebird, 6 cylinder-small3.jpg   Water Pump fit issue: 1975 Firebird, 6 cylinder-small7.jpg  

Water Pump fit issue: 1975 Firebird, 6 cylinder-small8.jpg   Water Pump fit issue: 1975 Firebird, 6 cylinder-small5.jpg   Water Pump fit issue: 1975 Firebird, 6 cylinder-small6.jpg   Water Pump fit issue: 1975 Firebird, 6 cylinder-small4.jpg  
Old 04-12-2018, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

after market not an option?
Old 04-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bleepster
after market not an option?
I believe the ill-fitting aftermarket pump is Procool brand.

So I'm trying to determine if anyone knows of a different aftermarket pump that will for sure fit, or if there's any good options for rebuilding my actual original pump... or if any places sell rebuilt original pumps that won't have fit issues, and what my options would be for that.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I would simply rebuilt the old water pump. You can probably use the parts from the new water pump to do it. Is not very hard if you have a press.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I would simply rebuilt the old water pump. You can probably use the parts from the new water pump to do it. Is not very hard if you have a press.
I appreciate the advice, RockinWs6.

Is there any particular advice regarding rebuilding the old water pump that I could pass along to the mechanic? (He'd be doing it, if that's something he's even able to do once I check with him).
Old 04-13-2018, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

autozone has 2 different brands. cheap - buy both and try both. can always take them back

Old 04-13-2018, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

There are videos online showing how to do it, Just need a press. In the old days I rebuilt them on farm equipment all the time. You could buy a complete kit. They had kits for cars too. You may be able to find a kit or press apart the new pump and reuse the parts. Believe it or not its very easy to do.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

You could also “machine” the new one to fit if you’re not into rebuilding the factory pump

and by machine I mean grind it