Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

My first Car! 1998 Pontiac Firebird T/A

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Car! 1998 Pontiac Firebird T/A

Alright everyone, I need some help. Hopefully someone can help me look over these pictures and see if they can spot some abnormalities or worn out parts. In short, this is the engine bay of my 1998 Trans Am. It is my first car and I've been stoked to be it's owner. I love this car but I've been feeling it a bit week recently. Does anyone notice anything worn out or something out of place? Also if anyone has a great order to start adding performance mods I would like to know considering I want to start building up power because it's all stock. Thanks for your help and please comment if you see anything out of place or worn out or performance mods I should add! Please and thank you!
Old 07-13-2018, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Any warning lights? It could be time for some normal maintenance like spark plugs, fuel filter, ect.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Any warning lights? It could be time for some normal maintenance like spark plugs, fuel filter, ect.
actually there are some, there's a red one with a box and an arrow pointing down into it. I have no idea what it is and I also get the low oil light. But it's weird because it turns on and off constantly. Any ideas on these two issues?
Old 07-13-2018, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

First, congrats on your car!
I would definitely do the normal maintenance like someone above suggested. What part of Texas are you from?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lsx4thewin
First, congrats on your car!
I would definitely do the normal maintenance like someone above suggested. What part of Texas are you from?
Im about an hour out from Houston if that makes sense somewhat but thanks for the congrats! As far as that maintenance I've changed the spark plugs, motor oil/filter, front brake pads and hardware(still squeak for some reason), and I've cleaned a few parts
Old 07-13-2018, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoR2
actually there are some, there's a red one with a box and an arrow pointing down into it. I have no idea what it is and I also get the low oil light. But it's weird because it turns on and off constantly. Any ideas on these two issues?
Take a picture of the said "red box" light and post it on here. Sounds like a battery light?

As for the car feeling weak, are you putting premium (91 or 93) gas in it?

Have you cleaned your MAF?

Oil low light might be a lose connection or a worn wire. You can see the sensor when you are under the car on the passenger side attached to the oil pan, its a yellowish block.

edit: forgot, everything looks normal except there is something by your fuse box, aftermarket alarm?
Old 07-13-2018, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Take a picture of the said "red box" light and post it on here. Sounds like a battery light?

As for the car feeling weak, are you putting premium (91 or 93) gas in it?

Have you cleaned your MAF?

Oil low light might be a lose connection or a worn wire. You can see the sensor when you are under the car on the passenger side attached to the oil pan, its a yellowish block.

edit: forgot, everything looks normal except there is something by your fuse box, aftermarket alarm?
​​​​​​Well I only pump 93 Octane into the car, I don't really know how to clean the MAF and the little red tube is for the subwoofers in the car. As far as the light, I don't have the car with me right now so I can't get the photo til tomorrow
Old 07-13-2018, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Low coolant light
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/1448015-low-coolant-light-keeps-coming.html

The low oil level light could be from low oil or a bad connector on the sensor or a bad sensor. Check the dipstick after the engine is warmed up and see what it says to get started on the path to answers.
​​​​
Old 07-13-2018, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Im about an hour out from Houston if that makes sense somewhat but thanks for the congrats! As far as that maintenance I've changed the spark plugs, motor oil/filter, front brake pads and hardware(still squeak for some reason), and I've cleaned a few parts
I also always do a transmission flush, but you could at least look and make sure it is fine.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lsx4thewin
I also always do a transmission flush, but you could at least look and make sure it is fine.
what is a transmission flush? 😯
Old 07-13-2018, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bammax
Low coolant light
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/1448015-low-coolant-light-keeps-coming.html

The low oil level light could be from low oil or a bad connector on the sensor or a bad sensor. Check the dipstick after the engine is warmed up and see what it says to get started on the path to answers.
​​​​
ill check the connector tomorrow... About the coolant... My coolant dipstick or whatever is weird. It's attached to the cap and I can never tell if there's any coolant or not
Old 07-14-2018, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

​​​​​​Well I only pump 93 Octane into the car,
Good. You can also try dumping a can of seafoam in the gas tank, that should clean the injectors and the combustion chambers some.
If you are really feeling adventurous you can try adding seafoam to the intake (follow the instructions! You could hydro lock if you do it wrong).

I don't really know how to clean the MAF and the little red tube is for the subwoofers in the car. As far as the light, I don't have the car with me right now so I can't get the photo til tomorrow
Buy MAF cleaner at the store, remove MAF, spray MAF with MAF cleaner, put MAF back on.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Good. You can also try dumping a can of seafoam in the gas tank, that should clean the injectors and the combustion chambers some.
If you are really feeling adventurous you can try adding seafoam to the intake (follow the instructions! You could hydro lock if you do it wrong).

Buy MAF cleaner at the store, remove MAF, spray MAF with MAF cleaner, put MAF back on.
I'll put some seafoam in the gas tank and add some MAF cleaner for sure. As far as the intake goes... I feel like that's a little risky. So just dump the seafoam in at any gas level?
Old 07-15-2018, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll put some seafoam in the gas tank and add some MAF cleaner for sure. As far as the intake goes... I feel like that's a little risky. So just dump the seafoam in at any gas level?
It will say on the can how much seafoam per gas tank level. Something like a full can for a full tank of gas roughly.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Teching In

It will say on the can how much seafoam per gas tank level. Something like a full can for a full tank of gas roughly.
​what happens if I put in more than i should
​​​​​​
Old 07-15-2018, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

​what happens if I put in more than i should
​​​​​​
Within reason(not like you are dumping 10 cans into an empty gas tank), probably nothing.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Within reason(not like you are dumping 10 cans into an empty gas tank), probably nothing.
Ok so nothing to worry about... Now I have another problem and I need help on figuring it out... So I used to have some play in my steering wheel/column... It would move up and down when I bumped it either way but it would go up right or down left... One day when I tried to turn it on it would not turn over what so ever and when I had someone take a look at it they completely disassembled it under the dash and said my steering column is no good and now I turn it on with a little hook thing and I insert it into a yellow box... I have a donor car and I was wondering how do I get what I need from the second car?(how do I remove the steering column?) If pictures will help clarify this ask for pictures because I need to take the steering column out of the donor car asap. Any idea on how to remove it?
Old 07-15-2018, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put to much in it will coat everything in a white hard chalk like substance (alkalinity)
Spark plugs Valves,Piston top Stdby i have a picture
A little is good
A little more does not make it gooder

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 07-15-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 07-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-15-2018, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I've been looking for an answer to this question but haven't found one yet... How much seafoam in a full tank of gas?

Quick Reply: My first Car! 1998 Pontiac Firebird T/A