FAT, not PHAT, WS6...almost 2 tons??? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

FAT, not PHAT, WS6...almost 2 tons???

Reply

Old 05-07-2018, 09:28 AM
  #1  
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (42)
 
rel3rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD.
Posts: 1,705
Question FAT, not PHAT, WS6...almost 2 tons???

Bracket raced my car Saturday, and as they always do (for their monthly StreetCar Shootout), had the scale turned on.

2000 Trans Am WS6 with complete Spohn suspension, tunnel mount torque arm, stock front suspension...
Leather interior, factory stereo, power everything, iron block 6.0, rear mount turbo, with intercooler
RaceStar Bracket Racer 15x10's, and 15x4's

With 1/8th tank of gas, and me (300#) in the car, the number that popped up on the readout, was 3975#....

Thought that was kinda heavy, ummm, I mean "big boned"...lol...although my old 2000 SS with same interior, and same sized Pro Stars, was 3755# with me in it.

I did a quick search and no real comparisons, that I could find.

How FAT (or not) are some of your un-gutted cars?

*** UPDATE ***

Minus the rear mount turbo setup and all it's related parts, the car weighs 3845 with 300# of me in it

130# lighter without the turbo setup...

Last edited by rel3rd; 07-12-2018 at 08:28 AM.
rel3rd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:50 AM
  #2  
On The Tree
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winter Haven FL
Posts: 153
Default

Listed base curb weight for a t/a is 3477. Add the heavy seats and bigger wheels and you're into the 3500's. If you have t-tops you add a bit more, and a convertible adds a bunch more. You also added roughly 70 pounds with the iron block. The turbo parts combined add more weight than you'd expect. I could easily see your curb weight at 3700 by the time you're done. Add your weight to that number and the math seems about right.
bammax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 AM
  #3  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
HCI2000SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Howell & Fenton MI
Posts: 10,596
Default

With a full tank of gas, full nitrous bottle, 6.0 iron block, and 17x11/17.9 wheels, and maybe 20-30 lbs of tools and whatnot mine is 3650 lbs
HCI2000SS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:19 AM
  #4  
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (42)
 
rel3rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD.
Posts: 1,705
Red face

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
With a full tank of gas, full nitrous bottle, 6.0 iron block, and 17x11/17.9 wheels, and maybe 20-30 lbs of tools and whatnot mine is 3650 lbs
Just the car, or with driver?

Also, I just realized, I left some weighty items out...

- 4L80E transmission w/triple disc lockup converter
- Stock exhaust manifolds
- t-top car
- Brass 3 row radiator

BUT....
- AC is gone
- 10 bolt still there
- no spare
rel3rd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:34 AM
  #5  
TECH Junkie
 
Tuskyz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,013
Default

Heaviest F body ever!!
Tuskyz28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
  #6  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
HCI2000SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Howell & Fenton MI
Posts: 10,596
Default

Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
Just the car, or with driver?

Also, I just realized, I left some weighty items out...

- 4L80E transmission w/triple disc lockup converter
- Stock exhaust manifolds
- t-top car
- Brass 3 row radiator

BUT....
- AC is gone
- 10 bolt still there
- no spare
That's just the car alone. With me about 3870
HCI2000SS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:40 PM
  #7  
On The Tree
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winter Haven FL
Posts: 153
Default

The things that separate a ta from a camaro are the things that make it so heavy. The high rise spoiler is surprisingly heavy. The headlights are bolted to metal and motors. The seats are full of motors and bladders. Even the stereo adds weight thanks to the extra speakers and wiring. For a street car the ta is great, but as a race car it's a bit portly as you're finding out.
bammax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:39 AM
  #8  
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (42)
 
rel3rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD.
Posts: 1,705
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bammax View Post
The things that separate a ta from a camaro are the things that make it so heavy. The high rise spoiler is surprisingly heavy. The headlights are bolted to metal and motors. The seats are full of motors and bladders. Even the stereo adds weight thanks to the extra speakers and wiring. For a street car the ta is great, but as a race car it's a bit portly as you're finding out.
Yea, that definitely all adds up.
I like both style 4th gen F bodies, and have now owned both. I still like both, but like this one better.

Thanks for the feedback guys.


rel3rd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:46 PM
  #9  
TECH Senior Member
 
JD_AMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: St.Charles MO
Posts: 5,690
Default

Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
Bracket raced my car Saturday, and as they always do (for their monthly StreetCar Shootout), had the scale turned on.

2000 Trans Am WS6 with complete Spohn suspension, tunnel mount torque arm, stock front suspension...
Leather interior, factory stereo, power everything, iron block 6.0, rear mount turbo, with intercooler
RaceStar Bracket Racer 15x10's, and 15x4's

With 1/8th tank of gas, and me (300#) in the car, the number that popped up on the readout, was 3975#....

Thought that was kinda heavy, ummm, I mean "big boned"...lol...although my old 2000 SS with same interior, and same sized Pro Stars, was 3755# with me in it.

I did a quick search and no real comparisons, that I could find.

How FAT (or not) are some of your un-gutted cars?
So its 3675lbs without you.
Iron block adds about 90lbs.
Turbo setup is at least 100lbs
Spohn rear suspension doesn't really save any noticeable weight
Sounds like a full weight street car with slicks/skinnies but a heavier engine and added weight from a turbo system.
JD_AMG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:24 AM
  #10  
Teching In
 
6.0L WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2
Default

rel3rd, I have a pretty close data point for you.
02 TA WS6 T-Top car, full leather/power interior, nothing really removed from the car, but I have a 6.0L Iron block, rear mount turbo, intercooler, 4 core aluminum radiator, methanol injection, 4l65e, sub frame connectors, stock 10 bolt with forged gears and axels with girdle upgrade, UMI pan hard bar, UMI long torque arm, UMI LCA brackets, CTS-V front brakes, and for wheels I have 18x9.5 c6z06 fronts, and 18x10.5 c6z06 rears.

With a 1/4 tank of fuel the car weighed out at 3618, with a 58.5% F-R weight distribution. The only significant difference in weight between our cars should be the 4l80 vs 4l60, AC system, and a few gallons of fuel.
6.0L WS6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:36 AM
  #11  
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (42)
 
rel3rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD.
Posts: 1,705
Default

Dang...I guess these things are just heavier than they appear. Thanks for the reply.
rel3rd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:13 PM
  #12  
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 56
Default

My 02 full weight m6 ws6 with iron block lq4, s60 was 3930 with my 280# *** in it.....porky pig.
pressureprows6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:29 AM
  #13  
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (42)
 
rel3rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD.
Posts: 1,705
Default

*** UPDATE ***

Minus the rear mount turbo setup ( now gone!) and all it's related parts, the car weighs 3845 with 300# of me in it

130# lighter without the turbo setup...

I am sure the new 9" rear will make up for that loss though...LOL
rel3rd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:47 PM
  #14  
Staging Lane
 
TheTinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 63
Default

Eat right and exercise? Haha
TheTinMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:04 PM
  #15  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 518
Default

Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
Eat right and exercise? Haha
**** that, eat what you want, make the car faster...both are more fun hahah
biketopia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:50 PM
  #16  
TECH Senior Member
 
JD_AMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: St.Charles MO
Posts: 5,690
Default

Originally Posted by rel3rd View Post
*** UPDATE ***

Minus the rear mount turbo setup ( now gone!) and all it's related parts, the car weighs 3845 with 300# of me in it

130# lighter without the turbo setup...

I am sure the new 9" rear will make up for that loss though...LOL

You still have an extra ~100lbs over the front end with the iron block.
JD_AMG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:59 PM
  #17  
10 Second Club
 
WS6 #3392's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: KY
Posts: 668
Default

I have had two WS6's. The first one weighed 3535 with a full tank of gas, and the one I have now weighed 3540 also with a full tank of gas. That weight is before I modded either of them.
WS6 #3392 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: