Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Side view mirror loose

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side view mirror loose

My driver's side mirror is loose. After doing some inspection the 3 bolts holding the assembly on are tight so it's just the housing. I did find that one screw is missing from the bottom of the mirror. I have two questions:
A) Does anyone know the size screw I need for a replacement?

B) Do I need to remove the door panel and completely take off the mirror to replace it or can I get away with loosening the 3 nuts and have enough play to get the screw back in?

BTW, this is a 4th Gen 2000. I forgot to mention that.

Last edited by sparkyaclown; 06-28-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...e-mirrors.html

More useful links in here as far as things needed to get to the broken component:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...lp-2k-ws6.html
Old 06-29-2018, 10:34 PM
Teching In

I don't think the mirror is actually broken, the glass doesn't vibrate at all, only the plastic housing. Everything except the plastic housing is solid. I can clearly see that one of the two screws on the underside of the housing outside the car has fallen out, probably vibrated loose over the years and ended up on a road somewhere. My guess is the other one is probably loose also. I was hoping someone knew the size of screw it was before I take it off as I am hoping I can just loosen the 3 nuts on the inside and get it out enough to get a screwdriver in there without having to remove the door panel to unplug the motor to take the whole thing off. I've been trying to find an exploded view of the assembly with the parts listed but haven't been successful.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I have not seen the car but I would go to home depot and get (1) 6/32, 8/32 and 10/32 to try them. It can always be taking back inside the store. If you think all are the same size, remove one and check the hardware chart in the store.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I got many hard to find parts from them.

https://www.frankspontiacparts.com/
Old 07-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkyaclown
I've been trying to find an exploded view of the assembly with the parts listed but haven't been successful.
You won't find one because the mirror was only sold as an assembly/single part.

These two screws come loose when the pot metal bracket breaks:

Since you already have the door apart to take a look at the bolts, I suggest popping off the three nuts and inspecting the whole mirror, anyway. If your bracket is broken, you may need to get a used mirror to get another bracket, which will come with more screws. (That's how I got mine.)

If your bracket is good, then you've just lost 120 seconds of extra time and can take the screws off the other side to match them up at a hardware store. I recall they are just black oxide machine screws.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

wssix99 has the right idea IMO. The crappy "pot metal" bracket that holds the mirror in place was broken on my driver's side. Objects in mirror tended to look blurry as the mirror vibrated. A trip to the local "Pick A Part" yielded one and screws from a VERY nice V6 car. I was too stupid to get the perfect sun visors from that car. Two dollars later I had a replacement piece and like new screws. Put it all together in minutes and it's been good to go.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:50 PM
Teching In

I disassembled it today and while the bracket had not broken completely, it was cracked so since I have it apart I'm just going to replace it. The two screws on the bottom are 3/8" #8 button heads which is not carried by any of my local hardware/ automotive stores. I'm ordering the bracket from Hawks which while the description states it doesn't have the screws, the reviews state otherwise. Either way even if they don't it looks like the replacement can handle longer screws which I can get around here.

Quick Reply: Side view mirror loose