Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

98 Formula Parking Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 Formula Parking Lights

I have a 98 Formula. Great items like LS1, 6 speed and 27,000 miles. It has been in and out of storage most but now is getting driven more. Only seen rain few times and now when get caught in some rain the front parking lights burn out. sometimes 1 and sometimes both. The sockets both have signs of being burned a little. Dielectric grease has been used also. would like to see if there is any help to assist on what could be causing this to always happen. it does not happen when i wash the car. almost appears from water splashing from underneath. Are there good replacement sockets out there?
Old 09-15-2018, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

common problem.......did I say COMMON ?......the DRLs burn hot and burn up the sockets....solution.....run LEDs with electronic flashers to ensure compatibility and replace sockets.......you can wire in complete new units or just replace the inner burnt parts......does not hurt to replace those old crusty signal housings too
Old 09-16-2018, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I just disabled the drl's to fix the burning socket issue. The bulbs popping when it rains is generally a sign that the housing is not sealed anymore.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you. appreciate the expeditious response. any suggestions on LED bulbs and or sockets. do they make a socket with an LED drive in lieu of bulb?
Old 09-16-2018, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

no sockets with LEDs installed already that i know of.....the front bulb is a 3157 so any amber DRL compatible LED will work....i like the ones i get from ebay with samsung chips....REALLY BRIGHT....my son does not like them cuz he says they dont last long but i like them

popular spot for LEDs buying is superbrightleds ....

if the housing are cracked and letting water in.... it will create a short lifespan on bulbs....hence the housing replacement suggestion
Old 09-17-2018, 07:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Many LED bulbs are not designed for constant full brightness use as in DRLs which is why so many of them will fail over time when installed in f-bodies. I have gone through many different brands over the years across several vehicles and had found JDM ASTAR to be among the best for longevity. But even they would only last 10-12 months before needing replacement. Last year I tried iBrightstar bulbs from Amazon and have been very impressed. They are extremely bright, have 54 SMD LEDs wrapped around so the light fills the reflector properly, they're short so they don't interfere with the housing, and they've lasted 18 months so far without a flicker. Plus they're only $17 for a pair.