Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
Get two 5' lengths of wire. You have a giant 12V battery just sitting there in the passenger side of the engine bay!
Also...

I tested the metal prongs leaving the headlight control module going to the light blue and green wires with a test light. Both are hot all the time except when the headlights go down; the light goes off for about 5 seconds and come back on. With the darker blue and green wires they only turn thr light on for a second when I turn off the lamps.

I also took that test light and checked the 5 wire harness going directly to the headlight motor and lamps.

The wire going to the motor is always hot until the lamp doors are closing. Then this light turns off for about 5 seconds.

I also tested my old motor off the battery which worked great.

I'm thinking about replacing the connector(s) going into the headlight control module...
Old 05-29-2018, 07:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Majozak
Also...

I tested the metal prongs leaving the headlight control module going to the light blue and green wires with a test light. Both are hot all the time except when the headlights go down; the light goes off for about 5 seconds and come back on. With the darker blue and green wires they only turn thr light on for a second when I turn off the lamps.

I also took that test light and checked the 5 wire harness going directly to the headlight motor and lamps.

The wire going to the motor is always hot until the lamp doors are closing. Then this light turns off for about 5 seconds.

I also tested my old motor off the battery which worked great.

I'm thinking about replacing the connector(s) going into the headlight control module...
Coming out of the module, there are two green wires and two blue wires. They should be dead at all times. One is ground and the other is +12V when the doors open and close. The polarity just changes when they are in open or close mode:

Old 05-29-2018, 07:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Motor works. Thoughts?

Could I have an issue with the connectors leaving the headlight control module?
Connectors don't really go "bad." They can only rust or the wires going into them can break. All of that can be checked for by visual inspection. The connector going to the headlight motor his notorious for rusting. So you should probably take a look at that one. (I don't think we've seen any issues with the connectors going into the module.)

A very likely cause would be that you changed your original module out and that your "new" module was just someone else's bad module. (I'm not sure how solid Hawk's testing of something like this could be...)
Old 05-29-2018, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Coming out of the module, there are two green wires and two blue wires. They should be dead at all times. One is ground and the other is +12V when the doors open and close. The polarity just changes when they are in open or close mode:

What's weird about this is that the passenger light works every time... If there's an issue with the polarity and both sets of wires are doing the same thing, shouldn't it thoeretically cause an issue with the passenger light too?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:10 PM
Save the manuals!

What's weird about this is that the passenger light works every time... If there's an issue with the polarity and both sets of wires are doing the same thing, shouldn't it thoeretically cause an issue with the passenger light too?
You'd need the correct tool to say that.

I tested the metal prongs leaving the headlight control module going to the light blue and green wires with a test light.
This isn't the right tool. A test light won't tell you anything about polarity.

A good six pack will probably solve your problem. Give it (along with the schematic above) to someone good with electrical and who owns a proper multi-meter and they should be able to trace what's going on pretty fast. A 12V source and some probes will also allow for a pretty easy bench test of the modules, as well.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So uhh fixed mine. I turned the motors about an eighth turn both directions and now they work fine...
Ideas? Maybe a bit of wd40 on the linkage? Definitely weird to have this happen to both at the same time
Old 06-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by mellor_21
Maybe a bit of wd40 on the linkage?
The only thing this should be used for on a car is loosening rusty bolts. WD40 will dissolve the rust in the joint and wash out when it gets wet. This will make your headlights squeak when the move in just a few months.

A can of spray white lithium grease would be a better choice for this location. (The same stuff you would lube hood hinges and latches with.)
Old 06-03-2018, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

The only thing this should be used for on a car is loosening rusty bolts. WD40 will dissolve the rust in the joint and wash out when it gets wet. This will make your headlights squeak when the move in just a few months.

A can of spray white lithium grease would be a better choice for this location. (The same stuff you would lube hood hinges and latches with.)
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/iwnaot.gif

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by mellor_21
Thanks for the heads up!
WD in WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement", which it seems do and lubricate - just not for long. Go figure. It seems that the company is tangling with this and is now selling a complete line of proper lubricants in black and silver striped cans. (The "WD-40" brand also has the white lithium grease that I'd use on the headlight doors.)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by 1999Daytona500PaceCar
Thanks for the info. I did the temp fix and it has worked for about a year and a half so far - knock on wood!
can u put the 98-02 lights on the 94 model
Old 12-04-2018, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1995 firebird formula questions.

I have a 95’ Formula, read up on the “jack hammer / grinding” noise that comes from my pop ups as they closed, know how to fix now. but a new problem just showed itself. now the pop ups come up when i turn the **** in any position (other than off) they come up with it’s turned just to marker and interior lights and they pop up when i turn it to the headlight setting. only problem is. the headlights don’t turn on. pop ups come up and go down fine (other than the grinding from the plastic gear) but headlights don’t turn on.

any help would be appreciated.

another question; when i romp on the car and hit the gas i head a loud thud from what sounds like right under the shift selector (it’s an automatic). the transmission was taken out and professionally rebuilt right before i bought it. is it possible that the previous person didn’t tighten the bell housing bolts enough and the torque from the engine is causing the transmission or drive shaft to hit the underbody?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm not going to be any help with the headlight issue (other than check your fuses & headlight switch for loose / broken wires), but the thunk may be a bad engine mount or trans mount. My guess is that if your bellhousing wasn't tight to the engine you'd have a slew of other noises being made other than just a thud.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

My 95 Formula Would pop up when headlight were turned to parking light or head light.!
Head light dont go on.? both head lights burnt out.?
loud thumping .? Rear transmision mount.!
Old 12-19-2018, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Default Thamkd

Thanks so much again for your posts. Got the headlight issue on the Formula fixed, low cost, no hastles thanks again for all your help
Old 12-20-2018, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

I don't know if I had any part on helping you but if I did, I'm glad to hear that you got your problem solved.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Default 4th gen headlights! Helppp

Im at a loss with these things! New motors on both sides, new control module idk what else to replace switch seemed to test good. The wont come up although passenger side sounds like its trying and if you manually do it then itll go down when you cut switch off.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Moving to the Firebird section.

It sounds like you have been through the headlight sticky, right?

It's not uncommon to have problems after you swap parts. Gremlins can lie elsewhere.

Have you checked the motor connectors for corrosion?

The other thing that has happened is people put in a "new" module and it turns out to be bad. Have you seen the posts on the soldering fix and testing for the module?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Moving to the Firebird section.

It sounds like you have been through the headlight sticky, right?

It's not uncommon to have problems after you swap parts. Gremlins can lie elsewhere.

Have you checked the motor connectors for corrosion?

The other thing that has happened is people put in a "new" module and it turns out to be bad. Have you seen the posts on the soldering fix and testing for the module?
no i havent been through the stickys how do i find them? they havent worked since i bought the car though so ive been trying to figure that out. i have been reading on 2 of the forums that google provided that just happened to be from ls1tech
Old 01-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Save the manuals!

At the top of the page you should see a set of links that say:

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > VEHICLE SPECIFIC FORUMS > Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002

Click on Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 and that will take you to the Firebird forum. That the top of that listing of threads, you'll see the "stickies". One of those is nothing but Firebird flip headlights.

You'll see tons of information in that thread. Since you are wrestling with module issues, among other things, you'll want to be sure to check out the discussion starting at post #1838.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:10 AM
Teching In

At the top of the page you should see a set of links that say:

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > VEHICLE SPECIFIC FORUMS > Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002

Click on Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 and that will take you to the Firebird forum. That the top of that listing of threads, you'll see the "stickies". One of those is nothing but Firebird flip headlights.

You'll see tons of information in that thread. Since you are wrestling with module issues, among other things, you'll want to be sure to check out the discussion starting at post #1838.
thanks a ton!!!

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE