Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

95 firebird T top leak on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 95 firebird T top leak on passenger side

I have a leak coming through the passenger side in between the window and the plastic that the T top release lever is located on. If I break hard, and it’s been raining, water will drip down onto my passenger seat. I’ve been told it’s the door seal that runs along the entire door frame. Can anyone confirm? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 95 firebird T top
Old 12-18-2018, 10:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is a common issue but I've never seen the cause be due to actual bad weatherstripping. The complication usually arises because we have frameless windows. If the door mechanisms break or fall out of adjustment, the glass will not seal properly to the rubber.

The first thing to do is to check the "reveal" of the glass from outside of the car. Check the driver's side and then check the passenger side. Are they the same? Are there any uneven areas or gaps? (Even a 1mm difference can create a pathway for water.)

Have you done any work to the door or windows lately? (Change a window motor, regulator, had the door panel off, etc.)
Old 12-18-2018, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thank for the reply, i have not done any work involving the removal of the door panel.

my first thought was maybe a pin or bolt that holds the door came loose...

dont know where i can buy door seals (if i discover that i need to) looked on rockauto and JC Whitney with no luck.

needless to say, the car has a cover and is going to stay covered through the rainy season, which is more or less everyday here in washington lol.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You'd have to go to a place like YearOne or Classic Industries to get new seals - but you don't need that.

Just check the reveal. If you see a large gap, then you could have something broken in the door. For small differences, all you should need to do is pop off the door panel and adjust the glass so it seals against the rubber better. Shbox has great instructions for this - you need to follow them exactly, otherwise you could create larger problems. (Particularly if you adjust the top guides and don't need to!!!)

http://shbox.com/1/adj_window.html