Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Another Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Headlight Issue

Hey ya'll. Got a headlight issue, just want to say if I'm posting this is wrong section I'm sorry please move it to the proper spot. I recently bought a '98 trans am and have been slowly figuring out its problems. Recent problem that I'm finding is with the headlights. I recently bought a used OEM headlight assembly to obviously replace my broken worn out one that had multiple problems. When installing it I go to test it and when the switch is on the actual light is on but the assembly stays down while the other side comes up and on. Then with the switch off the assembly comes up with the actual light off while the other side goes down. So no matter where to switch is positioned one assembly remains up. Anybody ever have this problem? I've tried searching around but couldn't find a similar problem. It didn't have this problem before I switched assemblies. Thank you for any help
Old 02-17-2019, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

When you installed the light you may have connected the rod while the gear was 180° off. You can undo the rod then turn the headlights on and connect the rod while holding the new light up That way both lights are in the same position. Other option is to manually raise or lower the new light to match the other and see if it works right.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It's not uncommon for the door motor polarity to get reversed in the connector, so you might want to check that. Also check your linkage from the motor to the door to see if it's matched on both sides. The position of the gear shouldn't matter as the motor and gear can spin any direction and have no internal stops.