Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

LS1 swap, I dont know my stock gears though and need to know to swap.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 swap, I dont know my stock gears though and need to know to swap.

My RPO codes
I am having trouble figuring out which gear ratio my vehicle came stock with. I'm trying to order a ring and pinion set from Hawks but they are specifically asking for the carrier series.

as per Hawks:
Select original carrier also. This must be correct for us to send you the correct gear set up. 2 series carrier would have been an original 2.73 or 3.08 gear. 3 series carrier would have been any gear 3.23 & up
I have rear drum brakes (will eventually swap for disc) the original motor was a 5.0 TPI w/automatic 700R4.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Your SPID indicates RPO "GU2", which is a 2.73 ratio. So that's what it came with stock. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the car still has the stock gears (or even axle) all these years later (unless of course you're the original owner).
Old 03-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Your SPID indicates RPO "GU2", which is a 2.73 ratio. So that's what it came with stock. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the car still has the stock gears (or even axle) all these years later (unless of course you're the original owner).
Thank you, I searched for so long before posting in here. Hopefully all is still original and I order the correct part.