Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Interested Buyer looking around

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Interested Buyer looking around

Hello, I'm new to the list but very much interested in buying a new firebird, or newer model I should say. about a 99-2002 model will do it for me. I was just wonderings what all problems you had if you like the body will start squeaking like that or anything. I wanting to buy one for a daily driver, while my 69 velle is still in its little process.

Just wanting to know the little quirks people have with their cars. If any at all.. I figure I'll get a trans am ws6 if I can find one moderately priced. But Goodluck there huh.

Thanks for you time.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, having owned four F-bodies (2 3rd Gens, 2 4th Gens), and all daily drivers, I'm probably a pretty good person to respond to this question. I've owned these cars since 1993, and have driven them everyday, in all weather (including snow!)

On the late model 1999-2002 F-bodies, here's what commonly goes wrong:

-headlight motors on the Firebirds (actually not the motor, but the plastic gear inside, that gets stripped over time. Choices are to replace the motor, reverse the gear, or replace the gear with a brass one)

-window motors on both Camaros and Firebirds. Very common. Aftermarket replacement part is both cheaper and more reliable than GM part.

-warped brake rotors. Both cars. OEM part is garbage. Aftermarket is better. Be careful when mounting your wheels. Insist tire shop use torque wrench, and properly torque rims, start with 50 lbs, 75 lbs, then final 100 lbs. And do so cross ways pattern.

-Miscellaneous: some isolated electrical, cooling, rear end problems, but this seems to depend on the car and/or driving style.

On my current car, a 1999 Trans Am Firehawk, I purchased the extended warranty, and it paid for itself. I had to get the window motor and headlight motor replaced, the air conditioning recharged, and the water pump replaced. Other than that, in 3 years and 45,000 km, she hasnt needed anything else.

I would suggest buying the newest, lowest mileage example of Camaro or Firebird you can find. Get it thoroughly checked out. And then drive it, and enjoy it.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F-bodies do rattle alot though. Although theres a couple things you can do to help out, get a strut tower brace and sub-frame connectors. This will stiffen up the chassis and reduce road noise.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

The strut brace and subframe connectors are a good tip, I have both on my Hawk. Neither will do much to quiet down the squeaks and rattles, though, and certainly will have no effect on road noise. These cars are a little short on refinement; what they are long on is "bang for the buck." If you are expecting a luxo-cruiser type of car, look elsewhere. The passenger compartments are small and cramped, there is a huge hatchback leading to a tiny trunk area, they are noisy and rough riding over all but smooth pavement. But: they are a blast to drive, attract all sorts of attention (some of it unwanted), and never fail to improve your mood when you get behind the wheel. I would really suggest spending some time driving a few examples of late model F-bodies before you decide to buy one. These cars are an acquired taste. Having owned four, I must like them!

Also: for essentially the same power and even better handling, coupled with an interior that is up to BMW-standards, check out the new GTO. Some guys will knock it for its bland styling (every one has their opinion). There's no denying, though, that it is a thoroughly modern, quality car.

We stopped at a dealer on the way home today, that had two 2004 GTOs left in stock (both red with red interiors), stickers were $35,000-odd.

Quick Reply: Interested Buyer looking around