Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Question about T/A I'm going to be looking at this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about T/A I'm going to be looking at this weekend

Think i should have posted this here instead of the new LS1 Owners" section. Sorry about that.

I am going up to Mass. to look at a 2002 Ram Air this weekend and had a question regarding the WS6 package. The description reads:

"2002 Pontiac FIREBIRD TRANS AM, nearly new w/less than 8 thousand miles, LS1 ram air w/6 speed, leather, CD, posi 3:23 and traction control"

It doesn't say that it is a WS6 and I was wondering if it being the Ram Air model does that include the WS6. In other words, is it possible to have a Ram Air T/A and it not be a WS6 or do they always come together as a package. I talked to the owner twice but forgot to ask him and have not been able to get in touch with him as he is/was stuck in Fla and helping family cleanup from the past hurricane. I will be talking with him on Sat when he gets back but wanted to ask the question ahead of time. I have spent hours on the net, including jrp's amazing FAQ thread, damn that's a lot of info, and have not been able to find the Ram Air and WS6 catergorized seperately (most say: "Ram Air" or "Ram Air Handling and Performance package" but never one or the other seperately).

The other question had to do with the 3:23 drive ratio, all the info I've read so far says the 6 spd comes with 3.42 (3.23 stnd on the auto) and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. My thinking was that it has to be 6 spd, I mean who would be dumb enough to lie about that, so maybe he doesn't really know and just read that somewhere not realizing it was talking about the A4 and threw it in or maybe it's just a typo.

He did say the car was stock so I assume the 6spd wasn't a switch out.

Anyway, I hope these questions are too dumb. Thanks for any help.

-Ant
Old 09-08-2004, 10:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

The "Ram Air Performance Package" is the WS6. If the car is an authentic WS6, it will have the build code "WS6" on the options decal located on the door jamb of the driver's door. WS6 is simply the rpo build code for the Ram Air package. Just like "Z28" denotes a V8 Camaro, or WU8 denotes an authentic SS Camaro.

Check the build code decal on the door. If it has WS6 on it, and the VIN# on the decal matches the one on the car, its a real WS6.

All 6-speeds came with a 3.42 gear. All of them.
The 3.23 gear was an optional gear for the automatics. The base gear for Automatic cars was a 2.73 (really lame!). Most of the automatic SS/WS6/Firehawks etc.. came with 3.23s however.

Probably a typo.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
The "Ram Air Performance Package" is the WS6. If the car is an authentic WS6, it will have the build code "WS6" on the options decal located on the door jamb of the driver's door. WS6 is simply the rpo build code for the Ram Air package. Just like "Z28" denotes a V8 Camaro, or WU8 denotes an authentic SS Camaro.

Check the build code decal on the door. If it has WS6 on it, and the VIN# on the decal matches the one on the car, its a real WS6.

All 6-speeds came with a 3.42 gear. All of them.
The 3.23 gear was an optional gear for the automatics. The base gear for Automatic cars was a 2.73 (really lame!). Most of the automatic SS/WS6/Firehawks etc.. came with 3.23s however.

Probably a typo.

Thanks Nine Ball!
Old 09-09-2004, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

well..technically they are all "ram air" cars cause if you look they all have the ram air style air box...wether or not its equiped with the ram air hood is the differance...thats where the "ram air WS.6" package comes into play.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TWINTURBORAMAIR
well..technically they are all "ram air" cars cause if you look they all have the ram air style air box...wether or not its equiped with the ram air hood is the differance...thats where the "ram air WS.6" package comes into play.
yeah, it has the Ram Air hood, just didn't know if the Ram Air package and the WS6 package were seperate or the same. Everything I read seems to say that they are the same, but I was just curious.

Thanks TTRA!!

Quick Reply: Question about T/A I'm going to be looking at this weekend